Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HEAVY steering.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie -

Great points. I did lube the U-joint and turned the wheels lock-to-lock a dozen times and VOILA! steering is now easy. The more I turned the wheels, the easier it got. I lubed the U-joint after the wheels loosened up.

BTW, I don't use either WD-40 or PB Blaster as lube - I used motorcycle chain lube that sticks to wherever it goes on things like U-joints.

New Koni Sport shocks & bushings on the way. Can't wait to see how they improve handling.

GN

Fasteddie313 wrote:
With the front wheels completely off of the ground the front strut mounts will be resting on their rubber bump stops under the hood, because your wheels are now hanging from them..

They don’t really ride like that.. If you notice, lift the front while watching the strut mounts and you will see the end of your shock sticking up through them sink into them and rest on the rubber bump stops..

Perfectly normal..

While their is weight on the wheels the strut mount rests against the strut on the underside where it rises on the bearing.. In normal riding condition..

So long story short, with your front wheels OFF of the ground, the strut mounts are rubber to rubber/rubber to metal or whatever.. Not sitting on their bearings..

So this doesn’t necissisarrally mean your strut mounts are bad by your description IMO..

It’ll take you 30 seconds to spray your steering shaft u joints with your favorite WD-40/PB blaster while working the steering back and forth..

I would atleast just try that to rule that out..

'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatornapper wrote:
Eddie -

Great points. I did lube the U-joint and turned the wheels lock-to-lock a dozen times and VOILA! steering is now easy. The more I turned the wheels, the easier it got. I lubed the U-joint after the wheels loosened up.

BTW, I don't use either WD-40 or PB Blaster as lube - I used motorcycle chain lube that sticks to wherever it goes on things like U-joints.

New Koni Sport shocks & bushings on the way. Can't wait to see how they improve handling.

GN

Fasteddie313 wrote:
With the front wheels completely off of the ground the front strut mounts will be resting on their rubber bump stops under the hood, because your wheels are now hanging from them..

They don’t really ride like that.. If you notice, lift the front while watching the strut mounts and you will see the end of your shock sticking up through them sink into them and rest on the rubber bump stops..

Perfectly normal..

While their is weight on the wheels the strut mount rests against the strut on the underside where it rises on the bearing.. In normal riding condition..

So long story short, with your front wheels OFF of the ground, the strut mounts are rubber to rubber/rubber to metal or whatever.. Not sitting on their bearings..

So this doesn’t necissisarrally mean your strut mounts are bad by your description IMO..

It’ll take you 30 seconds to spray your steering shaft u joints with your favorite WD-40/PB blaster while working the steering back and forth..

Nice!!

I was going to say something about putting heavier oil on them after getting them broken free with whatever spray..

Think I used mt90..

Motorcycle chain lube sounds like a great idea..
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie -

I noted on another thread this past weekend we got the Koni Sport Shocks in with new mount bushings & bearings, cups, rubber stops. Can't wait to see how steering works now!

Have to finish new rotor installation first....cleaned & repacked bearings - they were like new.

GN

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Gatornapper wrote:
Eddie -

GN

Fasteddie313 wrote:

Perfectly normal..

Nice!!

I was going to say something about putting heavier oil on them after getting them broken free with whatever spray..

Think I used mt90..

Motorcycle chain lube sounds like a great idea..

'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering not changed at all with new Koni's & top bushings/bearings.

Fine in slow driving, but at parking lot crawl it's still a lot of effort to turn the wheel.

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL, GUESS WHAT?!?!?

Put new tires on the 931 yesterday - ones on car were 17 years old and hard as rocks but no dry rot - and my low speed steering issues disappeared. Well, at least 60 - 70% did.

Car now steers pretty easily at parking speeds - and add one more "new to me" great benefit of new tires. Love the steering now.

Put in new tie-rod ends, had front end aligned. As new tires always do, I have a new car as far as ride, handling, cornering, comfort, quietness, etc. Handling in the twisties (abundant where I live) is almost as good as my Cayman S and my 914! Totally neutral in hard turns - but even with the 23mm front and 17mm rear anti-sway bars, a bit more lean than the other two Porsches.

LOVING THIS CAR!!!!

Oh - Riken Raptor 205/60R15's - a low-cost Michelin as Riken is owned by Michelin. Great tires.

GN
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Many around here seem to run way old and crappy tyres, they really can change the car dramatically.

They are really softly sprung in original form, step one is sport dampers which makes a massive different to the feel. Then springs/bars and/or bigger sway bars depending on budget and project scope, that will make it really good, dont forget new std or upgraded bushings
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric -

OF COURSE! I put NEW KONI SPORT SHOCKS & BUSHINGS UP FRONT! Adjusted about 65% toward "+", or firm. All tests of rear shocks indicates they are like new, very tight and firm.

No plans to change the sway bars - they are ok with me. I'm just spoiled by the flat handling of both my Cayman S and the 914 - which, interestingly - has no anti-sway bars! A 17mm is planned for that car but it's not running right now - down for engine work.

$$$ was only reason I had to wait on tires - Cayman S just needed all 4 new and that broke the bank.....put on Conti's and love them after years of Michelin's...

Take care friend. Spring is coming!

GN

Cedric wrote:
Great! Many around here seem to run way old and crappy tyres, they really can change the car dramatically.

They are really softly sprung in original form, step one is sport dampers which makes a massive different to the feel. Then springs/bars and/or bigger sway bars depending on budget and project scope, that will make it really good, dont forget new std or upgraded bushings

MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatornapper wrote:
WELL, GUESS WHAT?!?!?

Put new tires on the 931 yesterday - ones on car were 17 years old and hard as rocks but no dry rot - and my low speed steering issues disappeared. Well, at least 60 - 70% did.

Car now steers pretty easily at parking speeds - and add one more "new to me" great benefit of new tires. Love the steering now.

Put in new tie-rod ends, had front end aligned. As new tires always do, I have a new car as far as ride, handling, cornering, comfort, quietness, etc. Handling in the twisties (abundant where I live) is almost as good as my Cayman S and my 914! Totally neutral in hard turns - but even with the 23mm front and 17mm rear anti-sway bars, a bit more lean than the other two Porsches.

LOVING THIS CAR!!!!

Oh - Riken Raptor 205/60R15's - a low-cost Michelin as Riken is owned by Michelin. Great tires.

GN

theres no 17mm bar, only 16 and 18. also the front 23mm is weak. Get a 26.8 bar from a 951/968 and the 18mm from a 951. or even a 19mm M030 rear bar.

the rear torsion (and front springs too) are really soft. Mine has 200 or 225 fronts (can't tell not marked, just going off calculations) and that is as soft as id go.
the 968 has 25.5 rear torsion bars, vs the 924/44 which is 23.5. and the 968 corners bit flatter (even though it has a 16mm rear sway)

I just did this little write up:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/1293771-3-car-comparo-931-951-968-where-s-the-difference.html
MOTANUL  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatornapper wrote:

No plans to change the sway bars - they are ok with me.

I also thought of putting thicker sway bars. But I gave up the idea in favor of OEM sway bars.
I don't drive on the circuit - I think the stock suspension is tough enough for my tastes. If the bushings and suspension elements are good - the car has an excellent performance.
Although the car looks much better with the D90 - I prefer to go with the stock wheels for 2 reasons:
- comfort
- the steering goes much easier (especially if the front wheels are inflated a little more). I have already replaced the struts bushings/bearings with new ones.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motanul -

Pretty much agree. As I'm not tracking the car, I'm really satisfied with stock sway bars.

The car is a delight to drive, smooth, quiet, comfortable, quick enough when you need it, economical if you can stay out of the turbo.

What's amazing to me is my '76 914 was built less than 4 years earlier, and the difference between the two cars is like more than 2 generations. The 931 is a modern car - the 914 seems 10 or more years older. Both have about the same mileage.

I like that both have the dogleg gearshift, so I don't have to change shifting patterns. 914 seems to corner a bit better - and it has no anti-sway bars. I'll add one in front some day.

Never dreamed this car would be running so well so soon that I can enjoy it as an everyday driver......

Take care. Stay out of that war next door.

GN

MOTANUL wrote:
Gatornapper wrote:

No plans to change the sway bars - they are ok with me.

I also thought of putting thicker sway bars. But I gave up the idea in favor of OEM sway bars.
I don't drive on the circuit - I think the stock suspension is tough enough for my tastes. If the bushings and suspension elements are good - the car has an excellent performance.
Although the car looks much better with the D90 - I prefer to go with the stock wheels for 2 reasons:
- comfort
- the steering goes much easier (especially if the front wheels are inflated a little more). I have already replaced the struts bushings/bearings with new ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: