Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Has anyone converted the G31 to audi style shift linkage?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the disappointing response from Pelican:
Glenn @ Pelican wrote:
Hello, we don't make any of our own parts and those bronze bushings have not been available for quite some time. Long enough that I can't even find out who the vendor was for them anymore. Sorry I couldn't help you with this...

I'll do some inquiries in a couple of the 914 forums. Incidentally, there are some other (different style) brass bushings made for the 914 side mount, and they are in fact designed with a larger OD and smaller ID, requiring machining-to-fit. Likely that these did too.

In any event, the sealed u-joint is probably a better all-around approach, will continue down that path as well. Time to go look at some torque tubes and shifter assemblies. BRB.
patand  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have showed these pictures before on 924board. But since this thread is about improving the linkage I think it is time to show them again. They show how the balljoint was replaced on my linkage:

Of course I used thread lock for the threads. It has now been like this for a little more than 2 years and I almost only use my car driving hard on the tracks and this joint is still working fine.
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just replace the parts?

Part #10 Angular joint p/n 477.711.176A $30
http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/858529921

and polyurethane bushings for the coupler $24

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/3975%20Porsche%20Shift%20Coupler%20Bushing%20Set%20-%20Polyurethane.aspx
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8carreragts wrote:

Well, because that wouldn't be an improvement over the flawed factory design? Especially when the stock bushings for the rear coupler have slop designed into them (at least according to my gearbox expert)...not ideal for a hard-driven track project.

I had a spare audi-based shift rod lying around from a 4-speed. I cut it off at about the right length to match to the G31 shift rod. It is hollow, and has an inner diameter of just about 16mm. I think getting rid of the guide rod altogether would be ideal. Here's what I'm considering:
  • Drill and tap four holes on the torque tube for the audi-style saddle mount that holds the ball & socket assembly for the shifter.
  • Install a weldable thread bung into the hollow end of a shortened Audi-based shift rod
  • Insert an appropriate length of threaded rod
  • Attach a steering u-joint to the threaded rod and gear selector input shaft
This will greatly simplify the shift linkage, improve the shifting feel by eliminating virtually all slop, and is composable from existing parts and easily-obtained off-the-shelf components. It also opens up the world of 944 short shift kits since the shifter itself will now be a "standard" item...
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a lot about gearboxes, but doesn't this assume that the G31 selector shaft requires the same inputs as the Audi (degrees of rotation, longitudinal travel)? Might require some measuring.
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 944 short shift kits replace the linkage on the Audi tranny, so they will not work on a snail shell.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .and speaking of Paul, I think he once put forth a theory that solid bushes in the toofah linkage could lead to vibration damage.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
. . .and speaking of Paul, I think he once put forth a theory that solid bushes in the toofah linkage could lead to vibration damage.

Yeah, and in the same thread, endwrench indicated it was not an issue...

It appears to be a moot point as the brass bits appear to be NLA (no leads on Rennlist), and if I were to make up new bushings from scratch, I'd do them in poly.

Right now, I am still favoring a u-joint for the connection from the shift rod to the gear selector input, regardless of whether I attempt to eliminate the guide tube. I need to do some research on figuring out the degrees of rotation differences between the audi and snailshell shift levers...
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for cross-reference purposes:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=19271
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=21414
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the referenced thread, MonkPuppy reported that his solid bushings rattled enough that he wanted to replace them.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Rocco R16V  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is exactly the type of discussion I wanted to start, lots of good info here.
ideola wrote:
v8carreragts wrote:

Well, because that wouldn't be an improvement over the flawed factory design? Especially when the stock bushings for the rear coupler have slop designed into them (at least according to my gearbox expert)...not ideal for a hard-driven track project.

I had a spare audi-based shift rod lying around from a 4-speed. I cut it off at about the right length to match to the G31 shift rod. It is hollow, and has an inner diameter of just about 16mm. I think getting rid of the guide rod altogether would be ideal. Here's what I'm considering:
  • Drill and tap four holes on the torque tube for the audi-style saddle mount that holds the ball & socket assembly for the shifter.
  • Install a weldable thread bung into the hollow end of a shortened Audi-based shift rod
  • Insert an appropriate length of threaded rod
  • Attach a steering u-joint to the threaded rod and gear selector input shaft
This will greatly simplify the shift linkage, improve the shifting feel by eliminating virtually all slop, and is composable from existing parts and easily-obtained off-the-shelf components. It also opens up the world of 944 short shift kits since the shifter itself will now be a "standard" item...

This is the way i think i will go, thanks for doing the legwork for me Ideola!

Rasta Monsta wrote:
I don't know a lot about gearboxes, but doesn't this assume that the G31 selector shaft requires the same inputs as the Audi (degrees of rotation, longitudinal travel)? Might require some measuring.

I thought about this too and decided it the travel/rotation is different it would only affect how much you would have to move the shift lever while shifting. If after installing I decided the throw is too much, I could change the lever to reduce throw and rotation by lengthening the distance between the TT and the selector rod. This would, however, mean modifying the selector rod also, to lengthen the bent part.
The real problem would be if there was not enough travel to actuate the linkage inside the trans, but i really dont think this will be a problem.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco R16V wrote:
The real problem would be if there was not enough travel to actuate the linkage inside the trans, but i really dont think this will be a problem.
Agreed, from looking at the pivot points side by side, it appears to me that the audi setup is designed to throw further than the G31 setup, but I need to investigate further.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
In the referenced thread, MonkPuppy reported that his solid bushings rattled enough that he wanted to replace them.
Yeah, we have one anecdote that says "rattle" and one that says "no rattle". Considering MANY of the 914 guys are running solid brass bushings in their cars (including my local gearbox rebuilder / expert), I tend to believe it would be a good thing to have a more solid setup. As with most of these issues, there are lots of variables that go into the two anecdotes and lacking a hardcore scientific approach to "debugging" the setup or documenting the variables, I think the anecdotes are inconclusive at best.
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The through between gears is definately shorter on a G31 VS the 016. I don't see that this would be a problem with the 016 rod though.

Basically, if you look at the two you will see that the distance between the two pivots on the G31 shift handle are much closer than the distance between the ball pivot and the pin on the 016. This is where the difference is. The bottom pivot on the G31 takes the place of the ball pivot on the 016. The shifting functions the same for both, I.E. same direction for gear changes.

Maybe for the track the stock shift mech. is not very good but when I was driving my 79 (which had all of the parts new) the shifting was very pricise and definite. I guess I will find out in my present car. (if I ever finish it ha, ha)
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8carreragts wrote:
The shifting functions the same for both, I.E. same direction for gear changes.

Now that would be a laugher if is wasn't (upside down shift pattern? backwards? BOTH?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: