Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

G31 shifter bushings ok or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patand  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: G31 shifter bushings ok or not? Reply with quote

Instead of infecting this thread http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=19271 with more of my questions I decided to move my questions into a new topic (sorry for doubleposting like this!).

Does anyone know if the hole through the busings (part nr: 911 424 223 03 BTW) is round or somewhat oval. Looking at my old "not so worn" bushing it seems it might be oval and in that case maby my busing isn't worn after all (ballcup busing is on the other hand halfway gone)

My busings:

This is the one that is definetly gone (will be replace with a sollution like in the pics in this thread: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=18374&highlight=914):

This is the one I'm asking about:

As you can see the hole looks oval on my picture above and the rod can be moved about 2 mm in the bushing. Is the bushing bad or is it ok?

If the hole should be completely round then I will consider making a bushing out of brassmetal but if it is supposed to be oval I will most probably order a new bushing from www.pelicanparts.com (might as well change it now when I have the parts removed from the car even if it is ok).
patand  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
You need new bushings and IMO they should not be metal unless you like your shift lever and shift forks to rattle...

I will not use metal bushings then (even though it is mostly a racecar). Thanks for the advice. But are you sure about me needing new bushings in the #15 place? Here are a couple of pictures on the bushings when separated from the aluminum housing, to me they look almost like new:

You can see that there is a flat surface on two sides in the hole, you can also see that the actual hole is round (look att the edge) and that it is the two flat surfaces which makes the hole "oval":

The shiftrod is only possible to move about 2 mm back and forth. Sideways and up/down it is not loose. The fact that the bushings look to be very little worn makes me wonder if the 2 mm gap should maby be there for some reason? If so then I don't need to change these bushings, just swap the ballcup busing.

Has anyone a good picture or knowledge of how brand new bushings look compared to my bushings, escpecially in regards of the flat surfaces which makes the "oval" shape and the 2 mm movement back and forth. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the new ones specific for the 924 I have seen that in there, yours looks to be in good shape and I wouldnt really recommend replacing it.

the ballcup is obviously shot,
ic932  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i replaced mine with some aftermarket ones from roger bray renovations here in the uk. they were white and have that flatened oval shape too. i remember they were a tight press fit into the alloy coupling but there was a slight play once the pin was inserted. the gear change was crisp and firm though even with the slight play.
patand  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank you guys for the answers!

I will only need to replace the ballcup then!

(Perhaps I will change the other busings anyway, if I can get them from USA with free shipping, just got word that a friend might be able to bring them for me and in that case it such a low cost that I might as weel do it when I have everything easily accessable)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: