Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Electrics and gauges not working in 1980 porsche 924.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeppelin23  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Electrics and gauges not working in 1980 porsche 924. Reply with quote

Hello, I recently got a 1980 porsche 924 as a project car and though I've gotten to the stage where it finally runs and can drive, pretty much none of the electronics are working, and neither are any of the gauges. I am curious as to what I should look at and what the cause of such a thing could be. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bob Dylan

Drummer, Metallica.
924-UK  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too many electronics on the early non-S cars so it's a case of checking both fuse / relay boxes. Remove one fuse at a time and replace it with a new one (regardless of whether it's working or not), Whilst it's out clean both sides of the fuse holder with a small wire brush and/or sand paper.

Then move onto the relays and check each one by applying voltage across the coil (check for open circuit if you have a multimeter as the fine coil wires can break at the point where they are soldered onto the relay board).

Finally, clean all the earth points, especially the one under the dash near the fuse board.

Now start making a list of what's not working and tackle one at a time.

Probably worth investing in a Haynes manual, but I've found the wiring diagrams quite hard to read compared to the ones I have for my 928.

HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: