Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Radiator and AC Cooling Fan Sizing and plug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bear924  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Radiator and AC Cooling Fan Sizing and plug Reply with quote

So recently my radiator cooling fan motor started making a terrible noise. Removed it and it's obviously in need for a replacement. Even though my 931 had air conditioning installed (in Australia, I understand all air conditioning was installed post delivery) it only had the single cooling fan installed, with a 'standard', off the shelf cooling fan installed on the air conditioning condenser. As I've had my car for 23 years and have never touched the cooling fans, my belief is that this was how the car was set up back in '81.

So I've recently sorted out my air conditioning system and installed a 'standard' fan on the condensor. In my travels I've also managed to find an original dual fan cowling, so to improve my cooling further (I have to turn off the AC in really hot summer days if I'm not moving) I decided to install this while I going and would therefore buy two fans and needed to do some learning about the fans.

What I found was that the cooling fan installed as my primary cooling fan was in fact a 823959455 fan. Doing some research and I came across this:

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=406710&sid=3da02824eeade9a558b75d1988f42755

@Chuck21401 took a photo of the dual fan set up, showing how the primary fan was larger than the air conditoning support fan.

This had me confused as the fan that was installed in my single shroud was one of the smaller fans. I had previously wondered why Porsche had left such a large gap between the fan blade tips and the shroud ... they hadn't, I had the wrong fan installed.

My suspicion is that this incorrect fan was installed when my car left the factory .... might be wrong ... nothing in my car history file suggests it was ever changed. So it might be worth checking your fan, in short there should only be a relatively short gap between the fan tip and the shroud.

So I now have two new fans coming (couldn't find the smaller one for sale anywhere and will have to switch the blades to fit my smaller fan). It would be nice to have the electrical plug that will plug into my second/AC fan (primary fan will use existing wiring). Has anyone ever been able to source this? I'm hopeful it might come with the fan .. fingers crossed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: