Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Picked up this '80 931 yesterday!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you found a car in nice condition, seems pretty hard to find in the US where most of them seems to be very rough. Any mods to make it a "proper" 931 with the correct wheels and brakes are easy things to do compare to taking care of a rough car. Looking forward to see more of it.

The clutch and brakes share the same fluid, via the small hose that goes from the fluid container.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric -

Yes indeed.

Exactly what I concluded from looking at the brake reservoir and seeing that hose tap the reservoir near the top. Don't care for that design.......but I guess it does make sense.

Are the front brakes the same on the 15" 4-lug and 16" 5-lug wheels? Calipers? Rotors? Or will I need to upgrade those as well?

Best way to convert rear? Some say 944 rear discs.......

Thanks,

GN

Cedric wrote:
Seems like you found a car in nice condition, seems pretty hard to find in the US where most of them seems to be very rough. Any mods to make it a "proper" 931 with the correct wheels and brakes are easy things to do compare to taking care of a rough car. Looking forward to see more of it.

The clutch and brakes share the same fluid, via the small hose that goes from the fluid container.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: MORE Good News Reply with quote

Just digging into car today. More good news.

Front sway bar is 23mm and rear is 14mm. Another item to check off list that is not needed. Now wondering if it also has upgraded springs and Koni shocks.......

Car does also have leather front seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel. When I get it on the lift I'll check steering ratio to see which it is, but that is not a big deal to me. Limited slip diff? Now that would be huge!

Also has A/C, power windows, a lift-out sunroof.

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: QUESTION:Keep original? or go to 5-lug 16" wheels, rear Reply with quote

According to this page on the 924werk website, my car is the "Introduction Model". One of 600, #201 to be exact.

https://translate.yandex.com/translate?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwerk924.com%2Fliste-der-sondermodell%2F924-turbo-einfuehrungsmodell%2F&lang=de-en

The Introduction Model had 4-lug wheels and rear drum brakes. My car is exactly described in this page.

As this is clearly the Introduction Model, is there enough value in its being so to keep it original and NOT put in the rear disc brakes and 16" wheels?

I'm not going to track the car or drive it hard, so the original should be fine.

GN
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 inch wheels, not 16...
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought wheels you had were 16".......have great 15" ones now.......as you know far better than I, the M471 pkg. had the 16'.......I thought all the 5-lug wheels were 16"........my bad........

Fifty50Plus wrote:
15 inch wheels, not 16...
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - and any ladies here as well......

I now have the car on my lift and the underneath is looking very good. Car was undercoated in mid-'80's and looks good. Some oil leaks around the fitting that holds the oil filter and on the right side of the transaxle but nothing major. CV joint boots all look very good. Everything looks good. I am very pleased.
At this point I'm working on getting the fuel system fully purged and renewed and getting the engine running.

Then putting in a new clutch master cylinder (pedal now on floor), and other mechanical issues.

From now on I'll be having a lot of technical questions as the 924 is a whole new animal to me.

Question #1. Should I continue to use this thread to ask my questions? Or should I start a new thread on the Technical forum? 931 Tech?

Seems to me I should start a new thread there but I'd like to hear from you that are here.

Question #2: my car does have the dual fuel pumps with the one in the fuel tank. I read that this pump can be eliminated and that gravity feed alone is sufficient to feet the high pressure pump outside the tank. Is this true? I really want to eliminate that in-tank fuel pump........

TIA,

GN
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have eliminated the second pump in the tank and our cars run just fine. There is a replacement filter screen that can be put in its place. If you are going to remove your pump, work at draining the tank before you attempt to pull out the old pump. You will be amazed at how much rust there is in the tank once the pump it out. Clean it out, put in the filter screen and replumb to the external pump.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck -

Thank you - that was my exact plan, gonna "cleanse" the tank too with some fresh gas that I will wash through after removing rust & junk in the bottom collection well.

New pump replacing my external is same as in '88 924 S - w/o internal pump.

See here too - my 2nd post:

http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=45370&sid=0feeb34bd9610cdea966432c94e0b12e

Truly appreciate the help.

GN

Fifty50Plus wrote:
Many of us have eliminated the second pump in the tank and our cars run just fine. There is a replacement filter screen that can be put in its place. If you are going to remove your pump, work at draining the tank before you attempt to pull out the old pump. You will be amazed at how much rust there is in the tank once the pump it out. Clean it out, put in the filter screen and replumb to the external pump.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm

My car has 140 lb front spring, 23.5 front sway bar, 23.5mm rear torsion bar - 126 lb., and 14mm rear sway bar.

Besides the 16” 5-lug wheels, the ONLY thing the M471 package adds that my car does not have it 160 lb. front springs. As it does have the 14mm rear sway bar, it also has the 23.5mm rear torsion bars.

So I’m now thinking the only thing I really need to get my suspension equal to the M471 package better is front springs of 160 - 200 lbs, and Koni’s or Bilsteins for shocks.

I think the value of keeping original 15” wheels outweighs any advantage of the 16” 5-lug wheels.

The work of installing the M471 pkg. up front is just not worth it it seems.

Others thoughts?

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: PROGRESS REPORT Reply with quote

Jumping around on different things as I get held up in one area, I jump to working on something else.

DONE SO FAR:

Fuel tank flushed, new fuel pump, in-tank pump replaced with in-tank strainer, new fuel line to pump, new fuel filter.

New rear hatch strut, tail-light assemblies re-furbed, some lamps replaced with LEDs - all will eventually.

New timing belt installed, along with new idler pulley, water pump, alternator belt, new coolant.

All new rear brake drums, shoes, cylinders, new brake fluid in reservoir flushed through to rear cylinders.

New clutch master cylinder installed, new clutch slave cylinder being installed tomorrow.

Flushing fuel lines next, have new injectors as originals could not be cleaned. Hope to start engine on Thursday.

Still very pleased with overall condition of the car. Cannot wait to get it on the road and see how it drives. I've never driven a 924, but have driven '85 944.

Thanks to all here for all the help.

GN
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool set of cars
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morghen -

I consider myself very fortunate. Living in a rural area, I began restoring old tractors about 50 years ago, and moved from that to old Triumph motorcycles. When an abandoned '76 914 (12 years in new barn) was thrown at me very much against my will (originally), I began restoring old Porsches.

When I pretty much got the 914 running like new, ready for new paint (back to original Malaga Red) next year (in line waiting for great restoration painter), I wanted to tackle one more project while I can. I am 76 and in very good health.....a former runner. I do have an aortic pig valve tho.

After research with a Porsche genius/fanatic friend, I decided I wanted to see if we could find a very rare early 931, and he found mine in Cleveland.

I am enjoying the restoration, but many things are very frustrating on the 931. E.g. - starter has to be removed to replace clutch slave cylinder. 2 - 19mm bolts will be easy, right? No way. They cannot be accessed by a socket, only by box wrench, with only about 70 degrees of swing available. Then the bolts were frozen, and took about 100 ft.lbs. to break loose - and as original, about 50 ft.lbs. all the way to the last 15 to 20 mm of thread! ARGHHHHHHH!!!!

And on a 931, so many things are almost inaccessible. I like challenges - but some of the ones on the 931 are NOT fun.....

GN

morghen wrote:
cool set of cars
DD_project  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big garage! Well done on the updates and upgrades. Any photos of the parts and the engine bay where you did the work?
2017 Jaguar F Type R

Previous cars:
2005 Porsche 911/997
2003 Nissan 350Z
1976 Datsun 260Z
1990 Nissan 300ZX NA
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David -

Two of my sons helped me build our log home ourselves in '99-2000, and while the 3-car garage & shop was in my original plans, it wasn't until 2012 when I could afford to build it - again, myself.

It is my dream shop/garage. But as it houses 3 Porsche's and 6 motorcycles, it is a bit tight. Need a 4th bay. I do have almost every tool I ever need and do most anything but machine work. The garage attaches to our log home and connects to my woodworking shop which was a 1-car garage on our house's lower level.

I need to finish insulating the ceiling and put heat in it. It's just too cold to work in for much of our winter. I cannot imagine MN. I grew up in Indiana, lived in northern Ohio later, and am grateful for our relatively short mild winters.

GN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: