Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Picked up this '80 931 yesterday!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anthoni -

The 914 crowd is the most supportive group I've ever known - give parts to one another all the time. Could not have restored my 914 w/o them. Lots of nice parts on mine were free - like new bumpers for example. NOS fog lights weren't free, but cheap in my mind.

And the forum is so active you get many responses to a question in hours - a day at most.

But the 914 crowd seems to be more than 10x the 924 crowd, and the 931 group even smaller.

You guys have been very helpful.

GN

anthonimartini wrote:
all the brake and suspension parts from the later 931 will fit the 80. i have seen a couple different arrangements for the front sway bar mounts over the years, my 76 was totally different from my current 79 NA. i bolted the sway bars from a donor 84 944 directly to my 79. but my 87 924s had a weird size that i could not find the correct bushings for (the od was too small for the carriers). i still get a bit confused with all the various front sway bar brackets they used. yeah 924's seem to attract good people, i have been involved with all different types of cars over the years and the 924 crowd has been my favorite. were all a bit weird and seem to just have fun building these things. i got my first one back in 08 when i was about 20, i would say im more enthusiastic about them now. i used to love 914's as well but they have gotten a bit too pricey to have fun with.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: HP improvement mods Reply with quote

For sure I'm getting ahead of myself as I have yet to pick up this sweet car.

Wondering if there are some simple mods to increase the HP/torque on this early, first edition 931 engine........????

A statement here, http://www.iribbit.net/i/924org/mah_931.cfm , implies that there are:

"The 931 itself can be modified for extra HP. Without going into those mods, I just point out the progression from one model to the other. US 931 154 HP euro 931 177 HP GT 210 HP GTS 245HP GTR 280-345+ God and Ferry Porsche only know."

Just want to learn as much as I can about this sweet machine.

GN
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some differences between a us and row car, but it should be possible to get to the row levels or thereabout. The row cars are limited by the lack of intercooler (and shitty compressor on the s1 row cars) so they can't do more than where they are more or less.

My ROW s2 engine at 0.7 bat with the US s1 turbo spec made about 168hp at the hubs (around 185-188 at the engine) in a very trustworthy dyno, it was very fun at that level. But whatever you do, don't do anything without a wide band lambda/afr sensor. It works well with a temporary tailpipe installation aswell, ive run like that in many 931s, fuelling is key for reliably full throttle running, even at standard power.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric -

Thanks! I'm guessing that by ROW car you mean European version like you would get.

Is there a difference with boost in US and ROW cars? I was under the impression it was all the added US emissions junk. With the FI tuned for the US emissions, not sure I'd want to mess with that. Advice needed here. But think I also read the boost on the US cars was lower. How easy is it to raise the boost just a little?

Yes, I do have a wide band lambda/afr sensor and plan to weld a bung in the muffler into which the Oxy sensor will go - did that on my 914. I also have plugs to close the bung once things are tuned with the AFR.

But then, with the FI and turbo on the car, I have no idea what to do about tuning it! Wait! I do have all the manuals you so graciously provided on my computer! If you can lead me in what to read, that will help.

And, BTW, while I've had turbos before - I've never worked on them.

168hp at the hubs is amazing. I'll be happy with that at the engine.

GN

Cedric wrote:
There are some differences between a us and row car, but it should be possible to get to the row levels or thereabout. The row cars are limited by the lack of intercooler (and shitty compressor on the s1 row cars) so they can't do more than where they are more or less.

My ROW s2 engine at 0.7 bat with the US s1 turbo spec made about 168hp at the hubs (around 185-188 at the engine) in a very trustworthy dyno, it was very fun at that level. But whatever you do, don't do anything without a wide band lambda/afr sensor. It works well with a temporary tailpipe installation as well, ive run like that in many 931s, fuelling is key for reliably full throttle running, even at standard power.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric -

Just caught that the US S1 turbo is better than the ROW one? And you retro-fitted the US S1 turbo on an S2 engine?

Never read that before......

GN
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatornapper wrote:
Cedric -

Just caught that the US S1 turbo is better than the ROW one? And you retro-fitted the US S1 turbo on an S2 engine?

GN

Be careful with that info if you are new to these cars, it will trip you up.......its all in the spec of the turbo compressor and turbines. Confusing if you don't know your ROW v USA v S1 v S2 specs........there were lots of variances. Cedric is talking about the 2664 compressor mated to a 4.10 turbine I believe. Lots of other versions out there and not always on the right cars. Avoid the 2470 compressors on the very first S1's, they're useless.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera -

Thanks. Guess I won't know which turbo the car has until I see it. I read that they are NOT interchangeable, so guess I'm stuck with whatever it is. That's why I was surprised that Cedric could put an S1 turbo on an S2 engine. Read list of the turbo numbers on different models but can't find it right now.

As I said, this was the 201st one built for US. where that is in total lineup, no idea.

I have no plans at all to mess with the turbo. Other than perhaps small changes to boost settings.

GN

Carrera RSR wrote:
Gatornapper wrote:
Cedric -

GN

Be careful with that info if you are new to these cars, it will trip you up.......its all in the spec of the turbo compressor and turbines. Confusing if you don't know your ROW v USA v S1 v S2 specs........there were lots of variances. Cedric is talking about the 2664 compressor mated to a 4.10 turbine I believe. Lots of other versions out there and not always on the right cars. Avoid the 2470 compressors on the very first S1's, they're useless.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 931 turbos are interchangeable, though the oldest one might not have the groove in the turbo and manifold for the later type of seal, small things to look out for. They are a bit different in their characteristics/design, so the different turbos do feel different.

But as Steve says, you never really know what you have on the car until you look, they are old and might have been repaired/rebuilt during their lifetime. So go through the car when you get it and we will help you out
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric -

Wow. What more could I ask for?

Will love digging into this 931 as I know its owner has loved it a lot and cared for it until it was stored when he moved from Cleveland to CA 17 years ago. He later moved back to Cleveland but never had time to get to the car after he got a big boat on Lake Erie. At that time he ceased being a car guy and became a boat guy. That's the story anyway and I have no reason to not believe him.

GN

Cedric wrote:
All 931 turbos are interchangeable, though the oldest one might not have the groove in the turbo and manifold for the later type of seal, small things to look out for. They are a bit different in their characteristics/design, so the different turbos do feel different.

But as Steve says, you never really know what you have on the car until you look, they are old and might have been repaired/rebuilt during their lifetime. So go through the car when you get it and we will help you out
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys! It happened! Picked up the sweet 924 Turbo in Cleveland early this am and brought it home tonight - long drive my self, because we picked up my friend Rick's incredible '85 944 in Detroit last night and he drove it home after helping me load the 924.

Happy with what I bought - now have my work cut out for me. Very pleased with condition of car for my money.

First new timing belt, idler pulley, other belt. Then completely renew fuel system - lines to injectors are shot. Lots of work there.

Once I get it running, all new fluids.

Will be a slow project as I can get to it and no urgency - will be a little at at time as I always have 100 projects going on at the same time. At 76, one has to stay busy!

GN

PS: Rick's sweet 944 next......

I'll keep you all posted.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Porsche friend Rick's '85 944 Reply with quote

Picked up in Detroit last night - Drove it home today - runs like new, tight as a tick, everything works great:

Ricks stable:

2008 997.1 911 sweetly customized

1972 914 - full Concours restoration, new engine, etc.

1990 FiberFab 356 repro

and now 1985 944.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Advice please on M471 package Reply with quote

Gentlemen -

Advice please:

"The M471 package came with 5-bolt hubs, 4-wheel disc brakes, 15″ ATS mesh wheels, Koni sport shocks, Euro Turbo 23/14mm sway bars, and the Turbo rear spoiler."

What's the best way to put this pkg in my car? Individual parts? Or find a 931 parts car with this pkg?

There is a 1981 931 with this pkg. on FB Marketplace, but owner is not responding to messages about it.

Think finding the 16" ATS 5-lug wheels that look like mine may be hardest part.

GN
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the ATS wheels like your but with 5 bolt holes. They are 15 X 6 inch wheels that came off of a 924 that I scrapped some years back. I think I took them off of an '82 NA with disc brakes.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck -

Think I'd be interested in these. From what I've read the M471 package came with the Fuch's like here:

http://www.iribbit.net/i/924org/_images/931_front.jpg

But I think I like the ATS weave ones better.

Or did the Turbos come with the ATS?

GN

Fifty50Plus wrote:
I have a set of the ATS wheels like your but with 5 bolt holes. They are 15 X 6 inch wheels that came off of a 924 that I scrapped some years back. I think I took them off of an '82 NA with disc brakes.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car is off trailer and I've been going through it closely for first time.

VERY pleased with everything I'm finding. Car is in great shape with wear indicative of a well-cared for car with 58k miles.

Glad to see gas tank was filled when car was stored for long term as it should have been. Once old fuel is out, should make renewing fuel system less trouble.

Question on hydraulic clutch: Is the brake fluid reservoir the one for the hydraulic clutch too? Cannot find another one and Haynes manual does not say.

TIA,

GN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: