Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Big Valve Head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Big Valve Head Reply with quote

Hi All
I have tried searching the forum for this information but to no avail...
Many years ago I seem to remember that Dan Beckett (Ideola) sold a big valve kit for our engines. I even purchased one for a NA head at the time.
I could now like to rebuild the engine in my race car (Turbo head, NA application standard valve sizes) and would like to increase valve size. Does anyone still have the specs?

Also it seems that cam grinders who make race level cams for our motors are few and far between - Cat Cams seem to be the only ones with a decent range. Can anyone comment on Cat Cams or recommend anyone else?

Many Thanks
Daniel
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking for valve guides, europeanmotorworks.com said that they had originally supplied the parts for the big valve head and still had parts for it.

I have a 294 (248@.050) degree Catcam, working on getting parts together for the rest of motor. I originally talked to Elgin and they said they could do over 300 degree full race stuff but cost would be stratospheric. A longtime Datsun race motor builder I know said the problem with the full race cams in a production car is the the very narrow power bands often don't work very well with the production gearbox ratios.

RDSpring.com just sent me valve train parts for race grade springs for the 931 head using stock valves. Using Chevy LS beehive springs, and modified retainers as the 924 keepers are 6 degree rather than more typical 7. He also has a high performance setup for the 944 motor(fraction of the cost of Porsche stuff). He said he could do spring setup for the NA head(I think the 944 stuff) which has a shorter spring pocket due to no rotator. Seems like nice guy and quite reasonable cost for high performance stuff including spring seats made to fit and modified retainers+ 2 week delivery! I believe he does the racing spring setups for Lindsey Racing.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
peterld  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tighe Cams in Brisbane can do anything you want off new billets they bring in from Germany. $800 complete. Beautiful stuff. I've just had a new uprated turbo cam done.
Barry 07 3271 6001
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: