Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

MY 1981 RoW turbo S2 tank ventilation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: MY 1981 RoW turbo S2 tank ventilation Reply with quote

Hello all!

I have a 1981 S2 RoW turbo S2, with the large fuel tank.

Now that I start driving the car more often, I noticed after fueling up ( probably too much ) on fast cornering, fuel seems to slosh up the filler pipe and cause a fuel smell with windows or sunroof open.

As I have to wait a few weeks for an appointment in the workshop, where I want to drop the tank and have a look-see at the vent on top of the tank, I decided I might as well take a look at the vent hoses around the filler pipe, and swap a late 924 filler pipe in which has a float at the bottom.

I collected all sorts of hoses to plumb the extra two outlets on the late filler pipe into the existing venting system, as per TB 82.01, Modified Fuel Breather System. Good thinking, I thought.

Not so though . The filler pipe in my car has the tube for the 15mm top-of-tank vent hose, plus another 6mm nipple with a hose attached which I cannot for the life of me follow further than that rat's nest of hoses at the bottom of the filler pipe. So after some and I decided to at least change the tank inlet-to-filler pipe hose which I bought new. Not so. That hose has too small an inside diameter to go on the inlet and too large a one to clear the rat's nest. Bollocks.

Fortunately, the existing hose looks good, so I refitted it with new "rubber sealing hoses", 477 201 195, and I'll put the new hose on once I have the tank out of the car. More room and a much better view hopefully.

So after a few hours of tinkering I am precisely where I started, with just a few more questions than I had before

And now to my question: Does anyone of you have an S2 RoW and has changed/looked at the vent hoses and the filler pipe on their car? I wonder if the one I have which is not documented anywhere I can find, is stock or not, and where that extra 6mm vent hose goes.

If I knew, I could rework my shopping list in time for the big tank overhaul.

Any info is most welcome!

Thanks and have a good day!

Eliza
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: