Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

I need help (references) for the distributor > head wirin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattaebersold  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: I need help (references) for the distributor > head wirin Reply with quote

Ok, I know... I disassembled the engine 2 years ago, and I'm now re-building, and because I'm a dork, I did not take reference photos before I removed things.

I have most of the parts bagged/tagged, but I'm stumped on the wiring & routing of the area where the distributor attaches to the head.

Below are images, but the main questions I have are:

- there's a hard line with a bracket/tab on it, right now it's sitting in between the coolant housing attached to the head, and the cylinder thing (unsure what that is). This position feels strange, so I want to make sure that's routed correctly

- I had to cut the coolant lines to get the head off since the clamps were super corroded. I can't seem to locate these parts in the diagrams to get a part number to those hoses.

- the wiring harness has a lot of ends that I'm unsure where they go:

First, there's a connector for the distributor wiring, which makes sense as I see how that goes, but the rest I want to make sure before I start rebuilding things further...

1. right-angle copper colored tab, which I 'think' screws onto one of the small nuts on that cylinder-thing, but I want to make sure

2. the eye connector. Seems like a ground, and I have a bolt tagged 'ground to cylinder head which I assume is one of the bolts that attach the distributor to the head

3. there's 2 tab connectors, but I only see 1 tab on the cylinder-thing on the head, so where does both of those tab connectors go>

4. There's a plug on the harness that I attached to the bottom of the coolant housing on the back of the head, so that makes sense

SO... ultimately I'm curious if anyone has a clear diagram of this, or a reference photo, or even just a simple explanation of what goes where, would be incredibly helpful!!!

https://imgur.com/a/m2lXlqV

1980 931
1991 Japanese Classic Mini
2000 740i
2006 530xi Wagon
mattaebersold  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to reply here quick regarding the coolant lines. I see the hard line mounted to the block where it looks like the large hose just goes to the large one, and the small goes to the small.

But, that doesn't account for the heater hoses that go into the firewall, so I want to make sure about that before I go throwing hoses on.

1980 931
2000 740i
2006 530xi Wagon
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: I need help (references) for the distributor > head w Reply with quote

mattaebersold wrote:

- there's a hard line with a bracket/tab on it, right now it's sitting in between the coolant housing attached to the head, and the cylinder thing (unsure what that is). This position feels strange, so I want to make sure that's routed correctly

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the boost control line for the wastegate.

As I recall the bolt for that bracket goes through the flange #2 in the pic below. I removed the boost control line to check for leaks...getting to that bolt was tricky...I'm pretty sure I had to move the distributor. I remember loosening that bolt and some antifreeze leaked out...then I realized what was underneath it.

Do you have the factory workshop manuals? Those could be helpful in this situation.

(edit: this diagram is better than the first one I posted)

Last edited by chuck21401 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:48 am; edited 3 times in total
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1980 engine. I took some pics from that area. It's cramped in there with the intercooler and my wiring could be different....

mattaebersold  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps, thank you!

1980 931
2000 740i
2006 530xi Wagon
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I posted the coolant hose part #s on your rennlist thread...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: