Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1.8 swaps galore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian L.  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: 1.8 swaps galore Reply with quote

The VW/Audi 1.8 turbo swap has been done here a couple times in the past and that is a swap I plan on doing this winter. While doing research I have found 3 transplants that are in progress right now.

The first two are both real close to being completed and are both making steady progress.

The first one can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnR1vm7xsDwqiJsq8cfblCg/videos

This guy is in jolly old England and is building a track car from a stock 924S.
This guy is real methodical and goes into a lot of detail. He can kinda drags things out a bit but he has a slow steady approach where he wants to get things right the first time.

2nd is a young guy not too far from me doing the swap on a 944. This guy has had a real learning curve and has made a few mistakes (haven't we all) but he's learning as he goes. He just fired his up for the first time but the rest of the car has a ways to go still. Check hi out here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC43EqQSFuklj6FA6i3pN37w/videos

The 3rd swap going on is by a gent in upstate New York by the name of Van Svenson. Another 944 track car but he isn't as far along as the other two but this guy knows his stuff!!!!! Check him out here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/vsvenson

There is another swap on you tube channel called Half Ass garage and man is it ever. I won't even link them!

I just thought I would just throw this out there for to give these guys fa few more views on their channel and to help anyone else interested in this swap.
Cheers!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing! In addition to his 1.8T swap, Van has one of the best video explanations and walkthroughs of a transaxle Porsche rear suspension. His detail is excellent!
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant really understand why so many people go for the 1.8, its not a very charismatic engine, most of them have run thousands of miles and have pretty skinny rods if i remember it correctly, ands its alot of job to make it fit in there. But its always interesting to see builds
Gaddyman19  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
Cant really understand why so many people go for the 1.8, its not a very charismatic engine, most of them have run thousands of miles and have pretty skinny rods if i remember it correctly, ands its alot of job to make it fit in there. But its always interesting to see builds

I’d assume most people would go through it and get them reworked before putting them in, and you can always beef up the rods etc. my own personal research has shown they can be built for 300+ HP

I’m your opinion what would a better candidate be? Not trying to start an argument just legitimately curious as I’m doing my own research on potential swaps even if it’s far off for me at this juncture.
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes in sweden, they have cool 5cylinders available there. imho the1.8t is about the best lighweight engine we can access here. at least of the euro variety. wish they'd make some adapter plates for the 4age 20v blacktop to audi bellhousing. that engine is amazing and i can pick up a complete longblock with my arms!
83 944
87 924S
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: