Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

painting a 924 at home

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: kaffine@hotmail.com
Date: 15 Jul 2001
Time: 22:56:46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: kaffine@hotmail.com
Date: 15 Jul 2001
Time: 23:10:08

I hate this software.

Now onto the subject of the post.

I have a 78 924 that is in desprate need of a paint job. It doesn't run so taking it to a paint shop is out of the question and the only one I could afford would be macco and I wont do that to a Porsche. That leaves me with 2 options option 1 is to use rattle cans and then get a good paint job later. Option 2 is to get my air compressor up and running and get a good filter/regulator for it and a paint gun, and only get it repainted if it didn't turn out good.

I have a shop I could use to paint it in although not dust free I know the wind will pick up if I do it out side.

If I go with the 1st option how many cans will I need to get to paint the car.

If I go with the 2nd option where can I get good paint preferable Guards Red and how much will I need and how much will it cost. Also where can I get a good spray gun that is relitvely cheap. Also will all the old paint have to come off or can I just sand it smooth and paint over it. How about primer. Also ther is a small dent in the back in the piece the lock for the hatch is in is it easy to replace that piece or is it easier to pull the dent out and use bondo to get a smooth surface. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: vscott77@nospam.hotmail.com
Date: 16 Jul 2001
Time: 09:46:48

a) I have used rattle cans to paint the racecar - it's amazing how good a finish you can get with the good ones now (car-specific paint), given the spray patterns they build into the nozzles, and if you're prepared to wet-sand properly afterwards. The major downside to any of them is that the paint is not hard enough, and will eventually come off. It's a seriously short-term solution.

b) do it inside, just build yourself a spray-booth using plastic sheeting (tack it to 2x4's or rafters, on the floor, everything). Make sure your compressor has enough capacity to keep up. Large tank is critical; 30 gal minimum, I think, for painting or blasting. You can rough up the paint with an air sander, but don't expect the paint to last forever; all my 924's have had repaints, and there are always spots where the primer didn't adhere to the factory paint and flaked off. Surface prep is critical, plan on spending the time. If you've got a big enough compressor to paint, then you've got a big enough one to sandblast. Strip the car to bare metal and start from scratch. I found the 3M paint-stripping discs to work very well at removing the bulk of the paint and bondo; then a quick once over with the blaster to get a perfect surface. It's quicker and less frustrating than sanding or blasting all the paint.

The factory paint is very hard. Try to find something similarly hard to replace it.

Sand gets everywhere; plan on it as a fact of life.

Wear proper respiration equipment and goggles.

Find an autobody supply place and buy all your stuff there. Not just paint, but a primer and thinner to match, plus your respirator, etc. They might have good deals on guns, but might be overkill for what you want.

Try Northern Tool (www.northerntool.com I think) for a paint gun. Don't get the cheapest, it'll suck, but you don't necessarily have to get the most expensive either.

Check out using a low pressure/high volume (LPHV) gun, I think I remember hearing good things about these... or maybe it was the other way around, HPLV... probably that was it... it's more recent technology, and supposed to be better, but might be more expensive...

make sure your air supply is perfect, nothing worse than shooting clean paint onto a clean car with dirty air! Clean new hose, clean filtered dry air (maybe a new and/or second filter?)...

Hope that helps... I'm going to have to paint a few cars myself before long...

Vaughan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: bratton_mike@hotmail.com
Date: 16 Jul 2001
Time: 12:01:37

Here's a great source for your questions. The people on this Autobody message
board are great and this site is run by a VERY knowledgable and helpful pro
named Len Stuart. I purchased his video and it's very helpful for both prep work
and painting if you do it yourself.

http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: ponzv@aol.com
Date: 20 Jul 2001
Time: 09:23:42

Go for it. I painted two cars in the street on a busy street. One car my 77 came out very good the 79 931 really came out very good. See pics on this site under the 77 and 79 years. Buy plenty of sandpaper and do it yourself. Do not gouge the paint when trying to remove the scratches. A small chip can yield a one foot sanding surface.
If you have a flat surface scuff the area. There is no need to sand to metal.
Buy good paint. On the red track car the total cost of paint was about $150. For the Cassis 931 Porsche '80 color I paid about $450 for one stage paint. Have fun and take your time. Remove all door handles, glass, bumpers, hatch window surrounds, badges, rubber on bumpers, mirrors, window rubber and small windows. Tape the openings because the paint goes everywhere. Make a mistake? You can remove the paint wet or wait for it to dry and scuff. Buy the right reducer and follow instructions. Keep everything clean. Wear old clothes and do not touch the surface after sanding. Oil on the hands or rags is not good. Do not use rags washed and dried with softener.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: