Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Sanding and Painting my car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RVA  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Sanding and Painting my car Reply with quote

My car needs to be painted, the color has faded. I have contacted some body shops in my area as i wont be doing any painting myself, just the sanding. The body shop is okay with me sanding.

However i have never prepped a car for paint.

Currently the paint is pretty bad, its faded everywhere and on some spots there are some cracks in the paint or the paint is coming off completly. The car has been painted already in the past by the previous owner. Has no clear coat, just single stage. Looks like some bodywork with filler has already been done quite well.

There is only a few dents on the car which is nice.

Where do i even start? how far do i sand? i hope i dont have to sand all the way to bare metal.

I am sorry if these are kind of stupid questions, first time doing any bodywork.

Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paint job is only as good as the work beneath it. As your painter what he recommends that you do. Since it has been painted before, I suspect that all of that would need to be sanded off and a close inspection of any bondo work and potential rust areas.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
peterld  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sand!
Paint stripper is your answer.
Paint stripper is very messy, but also very effective, particularly on a galvanised body. As it has been painted before, there are probably bondo repairs underneath. You need to get under that.....if you sand you will probably breech the galvanising underneath.
Go to an automotive paint supplier for info and materials. Those strippers used in the aero industry are very potent and effective. What you would buy at the hardware store will need many, many coats.
Remove all extraneous fittings such as mirrors, bumpers, lights, etc. Start at the top, small sections at a time, using a strong plastic scraper (so you don't damage the panel underneath). Lots of old newspapers are necessary to wipe/scrape the residue onto.
Neutralise the residue on the panels with water and a stiff brush.
Once you have reached the galvanised panel, or at least the factory primer, it's time for your body shop to repair and paint panels.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterld wrote:
Don't sand!
Paint stripper is your answer.
Paint stripper is very messy, but also very effective, particularly on a galvanised body. As it has been painted before, there are probably bondo repairs underneath. You need to get under that.....if you sand you will probably breech the galvanising underneath.
Go to an automotive paint supplier for info and materials. Those strippers used in the aero industry are very potent and effective. What you would buy at the hardware store will need many, many coats.
Remove all extraneous fittings such as mirrors, bumpers, lights, etc. Start at the top, small sections at a time, using a strong plastic scraper (so you don't damage the panel underneath). Lots of old newspapers are necessary to wipe/scrape the residue onto.
Neutralise the residue on the panels with water and a stiff brush.
Once you have reached the galvanised panel, or at least the factory primer, it's time for your body shop to repair and paint panels.

Dont know how is it the Netherlands, but in my part of EU its impossible to find any potent paint stripper, can't find anything like the ones i see on youtube from the US. I think its due to more stringent legislation.
peterld  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check aero industry......NO sanding on planes.....ever! Paint strip or panel replacement only.
Riggard  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few ways to do it, first and foremost you have to decide if you want/need to go back to bare metal. This all depends on how much trust you have in the layers underneath. If it's the factory paint and hasn't been touched much... I'd not go back to bare metal. IF there's lots of bondo and other botch jobs done to it over the years... yeah, you might consider it.
(I guess you could also make this decision per panel)

I myself went with the route of keeping the paint on. But if you want to get it totally off... go with paint stripper, for the aforementioned reason of not damaging the galvanised body.

As I have no experience in stripping the car, I'll explain how I did mine;

The sequence of sanding I used was roughly as follows
- First do bodywork; hammer out the dents and fix the last couple of mm with bondo. Typically you'll be sanding with K80. In this stage. (This stage really depends on how good the body is, doesn't have to be done for each panel, just where you need repairs.)
- IF the above stage is finished, spray the car in epoxy filler/primer. I used mipa stuff. (if the car is really good, you could also do this after the next step)
- Spray guide paint on the epoxy filler/primer and Block the whole car with K220 (it's important to get long straight sanding blocks, I purchased dura-blocks, they're a great budget option).
- Once the previous stage is done (and assuming you didn't sand through the primer!) re-do the blocking with K400
- Now you're ready to paint.

It's quite a bit of work to do it properly, but worth the effort.
I do have to point out that I'm not an expert per se, I just googled it all and this is the approach I took for my 924, which is also the first ever car I tackled. I also did the painting myself tho. This was the end result:

You can see all the progress here, perhaps it helps you a bit. https://community.924forum.nl/showthread.php?t=44526
RVA  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies, really helpfull!
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are opinions and experiences with bead and sand blasting these cars down to bare metal?
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
peterld  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only by experienced operators......soda blasting yes, sand blasting never.....unless you want to add gallons of bog to the panels to hide the gouges and dents that will be inevitable. The panels on our cars are thin, not 1950's good American iron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: