Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Help with starter wiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Help with starter wiring Reply with quote

I'm working on bring a 1981 931 back to life. Eliza has been helping me a lot (thanks, Eliza!), but I'm not there yet. I replaced the starter recently, which involved replacing the wires where they were initially. Then a couple of weeks later it starting cranking by itself out of the blue. Eliza sent me some pics and guidance for how to wire it, but when I went to check my connections today, I realized the wires I have don't seem to match what Eliza sent me. Specifically, I have three wires to connect to the solenoid. One goes to the battery, one to the alternator (both of which attach on the large post) and one that goes to the ignition lock. Should there be another one? The engine had been completely rebuilt and and it has many swapped out parts, so is it possible I have the wrong wiring setup for the car? I've attached links to pictures for reference. The one with German is from Eliza, of course . Thanks in advance for any help.

https://isu.box.com/s/a05uazrlglt7xq9ag6pe7ga9kfhqpofq
https://isu.box.com/s/sr7yjjb3pzf0zafb6jc1ksyzkugjmr7x
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pictures around here somewhere. In the meantime, here is the wiring diagram for a 1980 924.

EDIT - This is the wrong diagram...the 1981 931 wiring is different...see other diagram posted below.

In addition to connecting the wires to the correct terminals....the wires or connectors cannot be touching.

re: Then a couple of weeks later it starting cranking by itself out of the blue.

That could be a problem. Especially if the car is in gear!

Last edited by chuck21401 on Sun May 22, 2022 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this, Chuck. I actually had the self-start thing happen with mine. Fortunately, it was not in gear. I have an additional question. I don't seem to have the black wire that connects to 15a in the diagram and eventually runs to the ignition coil. What would be the result of this? I'm getting pulsing voltage at the ignition coil for what's it's worth.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWW wrote:
Thanks for this, Chuck. I actually had the self-start thing happen with mine. Fortunately, it was not in gear.

I've had to pull the starter many times now. Twice to work on the waste gate, once to change the slave cylinder and once to replace the starter/alternator/battery harness. I always disconnect the battery and put the car in neutral. One of the times I put everything back together...and reconnected the battery terminals and the starter kicked in. That made me jump! So I always triple check the connections and take pictures. Also make sure the insulated ring terminals are in good shape.

Quote:
I have an additional question. I don't seem to have the black wire that connects to 15a in the diagram and eventually runs to the ignition coil. What would be the result of this? I'm getting pulsing voltage at the ignition coil for what's it's worth.

Now that I've found my pictures and my old wiring harness, I'm confused.

[Searches Board...]

OK, it turns out that 1981 931 doesn't have that extra wire.

Check out this thread:
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=29673

And this wiring diagram

Here are the connections on my car...I have a 1981 car....but 1980 motor/wiring harness.

Here is the harness that connects to the starter.

thick red
thick black

red/black
black/yellow

For comparison I've included a picture of the replacement wiring harness. Much cleaner!

Last edited by chuck21401 on Sun May 22, 2022 11:27 am; edited 6 times in total
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two pictures showing how the wires are connected in my car.

The two thick wires are connected to the same post.
The red/black wire is connected to a post.
The yellow/black wire is obscured. That one is not easy to reconnect...tiny screw!

In this picture the red/black wire is disconnected so now you can see the black/yellow wire.

BWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for this, Chuck. It clears up a lot. I have accumulated quite a few wiring diagrams by now and it seems they are inconsistent in respect to the 2 versus 3 wire setup. Now I know why. So it seems I don't need to worry about the additional wiring, especially since the starter is working as it should now. So I'm back to the beginning trying to figure out why it won't quite start and run.

Thanks again!

Brent
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWW wrote:
So I'm back to the beginning trying to figure out why it won't quite start and run.

Do you have the factory workshop manuals? Those include detailed trouble shooting guides for the ignition and fuel systems.

This thread has some great tips and things to check.
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=22724
BWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, Chuck. I will have a close look at these. I've also been following Vaughan's guide posted at the top of the page. Thanks for the suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: