Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Picked up this '80 931 yesterday!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today:

Bled clutch master & slave cylinder, clutch now working fine. First time since I've owned car.

Just need to adjust shoes in left rear drum brake then can put rear wheels back on.

Re-installed starter, cleaned up electrical connections first.

Flushed fuel lines with old fuel filter, then installed new one. Flushed 3 or 4 oz. of fuel from each injector line (injectors removed) into small bottles. but then fuel pump stopped for some reason. FP Relay is removed and pins 30 & 87 are jumped but with a fuse in-line. Think it's a blown fuse.

Will check tomorrow.

If I get lines flushed enough (like 8oz. out of each injector line) I hope to try to start the engine tomorrow after putting the new injectors in.

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday I did get all the fuel lines flushed well. About 200cc through each injector line.

Yesterday I did adjust the valves but did not get to installing the new injectors.

Shop/garage will be cold this week so might not happen until Wed.

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday got new fuel injectors installed, connected.

All that is left before firing the engine up is media blasting both the valve cover and the pressure intake tube to clean them up.

Using relay jumper (with switch, now in place - used to flush lines), I'll hit the injectors with a fresh bit of fuel before attempting to fire engine.

As it's 27 out now, the garage will be too cold for work today but should be decent tomorrow. Just might be able to fire engine then.

GN
'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are there with new injectors do a injector flow test to see that they spray the same a mount of fuel.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric -

I was thinking that would not be necessary with brand new injectors.

I did do the flow test from the feed lines where they connect to the injectors and all were close to equal and required flow was there and much more as there were no injectors connected.

I guess I could pull the injectors and do the flow test, but is it really necessary with brand new Bosch injectors from Pelican?

Thanks,

GN

Cedric wrote:
While you are there with new injectors do a injector flow test to see that they spray the same a mount of fuel.

'87 944 S, looks & runs like new - sold my sweet 931; '76 914 2.0 mostly restored; 2011 Porsche Cayman S in Meteor Grey, 3.4L, Softronics ECU tune 355+hp , PDK w/Sport Chrono. Got this thing for Porsche's.......
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if you already tested the fuel distributor it should be good!
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested its flow only, and it was distributing fuel fairly equally to all injector points but dumping into little 250ml plastic bottles instead of the injectors. #2 was just a little less than the other 3 for some reason, but not much less.

Cedric wrote:
Ok, if you already tested the fuel distributor it should be good!

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: ENGINE READY to Start! Reply with quote

Cleaned up valve cover and pressure intake tube, just have 1 M8-50mm bolt to put in that somehow got misplaced - goes on front most hole on intake manifold - the one that holds the bracket for the injector lines and the ground strap from the alternator. I have an M8-40 left over, so suspect I put the 50 in a wrong spot where the 40 came from. Duh.

Well, here's how things look with an added touch on the valve cover nuts....I know it's not stock, but just dresses up things a tad.........

GN

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: SHE'S RUNNING LIKE NEW!!!! Reply with quote

See my posts today here........

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=45442

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider what happened yesterday to be a miracle.

It took me 1 1/2 years of work on my ''76 914 "barn-find" 914 that had not run for 12 years to get it to where my 931 was yesterday afternoon.

With no start on Monday, I was dreading a month or two of trouble-shooting the CIS which is all new to me and unlike any fuel injection I've ever worked on. All my experience is with electronic or digital.

And to go from barely running to running like new in less than an hour - well, in all my 50+ years of wrenching, have never seen anything like it.

Now I'm getting familiar with how the car runs, drives, handles - unlike anything I've driven other than my friend Rick's '85 944.

Only his has power steering. As the steering on my 914 is incredibly light, I'm having to make a major adjustment to the extremely heavy manual steering on the 931.

Loving the car other than that.......

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Out Driving today..... Reply with quote

Overdue for some pics......

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't have driven it today before rebuilding the WUR.

Checking CIS pressures tomorrow and then on to rebuild.....but lotsa work to do on my 914 & Cayman S too.....not sure what's coming first......

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 931 is running like new from cold starts to hot turbo runs on country twisty roads.

For update on cold starting problems (no more) and removing/rebuilding/re-installing the Warm Up Regulator, and every bloody detail - see here:

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=45451

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick B. is a close friend, and when we drove to Cleveland to pick up my 931, he picked up a mint '85 944 in Detroit and drove it home. Rick also has a stunning almost Concours '72 914, a beautiful customized 997.1 and a '90 FiberFab 356 Replica he has put together. And now a 944 whose 2 PO's were Porsche mechanics who pretty much made the car new mechanically. Oh, he has owned air-cooled 911's and an '11 Cayman in the past. Addicted? Yeah.

We have been talking about taking his 944 and my 931 out to thrash them together, then swap cars, do it again, and then compare. Yesterday we did it!

The 931 has been consistently running so well, starting instantly no matter what the temp, maintaining great engine temps and oil pressure, so I felt it's time to let her rip.

We did a 924T vs 944 challenge. Most roads where I live are super twisty.

We took both cars out on my choice of super twisty roads. I pushed the 931 like I’ve never pushed it.

So yesterday I floored it repeatedly. I thrashed it in the turns. I cut it loose.

Rick tried to keep up staying close behind me in the 944. I’d pull away from him in the straights. He’d catch me in the turns.

Then - we switched cars. I still in the lead - but in the 944. Fun all over again. Same story, different drivers.

Main problem is in the 931…….the ancient tires. They are 20 years old and as I'm having to put 4 new tires on my '11 Cayman S this month, they will have to do for a while. They seriously hindered the handling. I also have new Koni Sport shocks going in the front of the 931 & new strut bushings too. Those will radically change the 931 handling.

But the best news of the day was with Rick in front of me driving the 931, me following him in his 944. So WHAT is the GOOD NEWS?

No matter how hard Rick drove it, accelerated, wound it out - no a hint of smoke of any color out the tailpipe!

THAT MEANS THE INTERNALS OF THE ENGINE ARE IN GREAT SHAPE! No problems with rings, valve seals, etc. I WAS OVERJOYED!

Now that Audi 4-banger is known for being bulletproof, rock-solid, built like a tank. So I’m not surprised. But I am so glad to know how solid the engine is.

Now I know or sure I got a good deal on the 931. Not a super-good deal - $4k or less would have been a good deal - but I got a decent deal.

For which I am grateful.

Very soon this car will be my daily driver and I can give my Cayman S (just turned 96,000 miles today) a break!

Oh - bottom line - the 931 will out-accelerate the 944, but does not handle the turns as well. But the 944 has much larger new tires, much wider stance/track, and has a lot of new suspension parts. On hard turns, the 944 stays very much in control, while the 931 leaves you feeling it’s not quite sure - not as certain, not as nimble. It's handling is still very neutral. But so different from both my 914 and my Cayman S.

Much of that will change with new tires and Koni’s. How much? We will see. I can hardly wait.

Loving this 924 Turbo!

GN
peterld  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like another happy Toofah T man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: