Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Hot start issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Hot start issues Reply with quote

I am chasing hot start problems on my 1981 Porsche 924 NA.
On page 258 of the Haynes manual figure 11.11a reference is made to a supplementary start valve that is in series with a thermal switch. That path is in parallel with the cold start valve and its thermal switch. I understand how that cold start system works.

In the Porsche workshop manual page 25-25 there is a discussion of checking hot start valve (reduction of control pressure during hot start) for engine temps over 140°F. The picture shows the valve near the fuel distributor. My question: Is the hot start valve in the Porsche WSM the same as the supplementary start valve in the Haynes manual? ie-same valve but different name in each book.

If it is the same, how long does this valve stay open if the temp is over 140°F.
Comments welcome---Ted
Eliza  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valve is referred to as "supplementary start valve" in the WSM wiring diagram as well - so although I have no Haynes I would think it's the same.

It's a solenoid-type valve and like the cold start valve, only gets powered while cranking.

It temporarily opens a passage in the fuel distributor to reduce control pressure. It should click audibly when external power is applied to the 2 terminals at its bottom ( orientation doesn't matter if my memory serves me right ).

I have this valve on my '85 n/a, and it works great- no hot start probs.

Eliza
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: