Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Porsche 924 Racecar Build Thread (AAN Conversion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterld wrote:
Wow!!!

Wow, indeed! Really love this thread
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Britain, you've been busy! Makes me tired just following your progress...
but at the same time, inspired as well!

Maybe I missed it, but can you detail a little more about what it took to adapt the 996 rear hubs?

Cheers! Brian
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This starts to look really proper, i think you got the aero bits really well sorted, probably one of the best ive seen on this platform. If you have time you might want to try reducing the apertures in the front a bit, it will have a pretty large impact on the amount of front downforce according to the wind tunnel data ive seen. Could be easily tested with some ducktape and some measurements.
Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
This starts to look really proper, i think you got the aero bits really well sorted, probably one of the best ive seen on this platform. If you have time you might want to try reducing the apertures in the front a bit, it will have a pretty large impact on the amount of front downforce according to the wind tunnel data ive seen. Could be easily tested with some ducktape and some measurements.

Understood...problem is that we run endurance racing so the races are ~8hrs long. We have to balance aero with cooling requirements to keep everything running well for an extended period of time.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britain wrote:
Cedric wrote:

Understood...problem is that we run endurance racing so the races are ~8hrs long. We have to balance aero with cooling requirements to keep everything running well for an extended period of time.

Yeah, im well aware of the challenges with endurance racing, it's tough and heat is always the enemy. Though bigger is not always better for air ducts, they could maybe work as well with smaller apertures. But it do take some work to mesure and analyse that.
Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood...which ducts are you referring to?

Brake Ducts, Radiator/Intercooler, Oil Cooler, or Turbo Cooler?
Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that is has been almost a year since I updated this thread. Before I unveil the crazy updates currently in-progress, I figured I should catch everyone up on the in-season work.

At the beginning of the season, we did a quick engine refresh. Mostly preventative maintenance including bearings, head job, exhaust valves, etc.

Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have also had a reoccurring problem with the clutch throw-out bearing in which it would extend too far in the assembly and blow out the o-ring. In addition to a better clutch stop in the car, we made a guide tube and pressed it into the assembly...much better.

A problem that we encountered after adding the bigger diffuser is it actually worked as a megaphone and made us just about blow the sound limit at the final race of the year. To address this, we routed the wastegate dump back into the exhaust flow and split it into dual mufflers. Bonus...the driver now gets to hear that sweet 5cly melody.

Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another side-effect of adding the diffuser is reduced airflow around the transmission and therefore higher fluid temps. To help in this department, I found a 964 Oil cooler that will serve as a bigger trans cooler and is about 3x more surface area than the previous trans cooler. It is fed with two 3" tubes from NACA ducts on both rear windows and ducted out the back of the car.

Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When installing a rebuilt transmission at some point in the season, we noticed a lot of slop in the shift linkage. This was caused by a warn out shift linkage bushing. So some quick work on the lathe and a bit of tig welding and it now has a heim joint back there. Issue fixed.

Couple of great pics from a race at The Ridge here in the PacNW to remind us of why we keep doing this stuff

Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An issue that has forced an unscheduled pit stop on a number of occasions is grass clogging up the radiator inlet after an off track excursion. The splitter makes a perfect lawnmower and the resulting clipping fill the screen. I remember seeing '70's racecars with a curved inlet screen so I attempted to create one for our car to alleviate this problem. Although it is tough to see in the pictures, it actually doesn't look hideous.

I have been wanted to build proper brake ducts for a while now since we switched to the 996 spindles...however the area is tight and there isn't much room. Finally got an afternoon this past weekend to knock them out. This should help direct the majority of the air to the rotor and down into the bearing area.

*Ignore the crappy aluminum welding...this was a science experiment.

Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One benefit of fiberglass and carbon fiber panels is that they are fairly easy to repair...especially parts where I made them myself and I have the molds. At a wet and rainy race in Portland we had a few "incidents" that required some repair. Here are some before/during/after pics.

Just a bit of oil in the intake stream which was ejected all over the engine bay thru the atmosphere BOV over an 8hr race made for quite a bit of grimy mess. Got a Turbosmart recirculating BOV and plumbed it back into the intake tube to try to alleviate that issue. Didn't have any 90deg bends so I pie cut that **** SEMA style!

Britain  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next round of updates are currently in-progress...it is a big one...and I will post pictures soon.
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously can't wait, this car is awesome

Bring on the pics!
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, this is amazing to follow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: