Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

No go ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShawnDNicholson  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: No go ?? Reply with quote

Hey everyone new owner here. 1987 924s. After not running for 14 years I got her started and engine sounds good. New backyard mechanic.
Problem - when I put the car in gear it wont move. I replaced the clutch master and slave. Bled them appropriately. The car is on blocks. Start the engine and put it in gear and there no movement from the transmission
I dont know if the clutch is good. I have pressure at the pedal but looking beside the starter when the pedal is pressed and rekeased i see the fork top moving as it should. The clutch plate spins with the engine but doesnt stop when the clutch pedal is released and pushed.
So question is... bad clutch?
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the car not running,in 1st gear, e brake off. can you roll it? or does it just rock forward and back a few inches. if it rolls it is possible that A: the clutch rubber has failed as well as the failsafe tabs on the clutch disc B: the torque tube has broken (i have never heard of this) or C: the torque tube coupler was not tight or has otherwise failed. thats easy to verify by looking into the trans
bellhousing.
83 944
87 924S
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
16again2009  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1988 924s a few years ago. When I got it running it did the same as yours. It was the rubber clutch disc. Its a big job to change. Good Luck.
SNicholson  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: No go Reply with quote

I figured it was going to be a clutch problem, but was really hoping it wouldnt be haha. Guess I'll find out this weekend. Thanks for the infor and ill let you guys know how it goes.
ShawnDNicholson  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , sorry it took so long to reply. It was the clutch, tell tell rubber pieces in the starter place. Replaced the clutch with a Sachs , was not the easiest thing to do for a home mechanic haha. Still got a lot of other things to do. Transmission going back in today. Hopefully she will travel down the road for the first time in a long time.
ShawnDNicholson  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. So put the new clutch in. Everything back together but now my starter doesnt work. If i connect it all up, 2 large black to the large post and small red and black to the small post, plug the battery up and... nothing from the starter but the fuel pump starts running even with no DME relay in place. Battery test good. Starter test good. Not sure what to do. Is there a wire i might have missed? Uuugh.
ShawnDNicholson  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Uuuugh Reply with quote

Ok. Car was starting good. Change to clutch. Got it all back together, somehow lost the ground to the bell housing. Starter wouldnt work. Got a new ground to the starter and the starter works now. Grounded the bell housing to the engine block. Now car turns over qnd tries to start but then backfires , very loud lol. Im kinda stuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: