Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Runs rough under 2000rpm and only runs too rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildP1  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Runs rough under 2000rpm and only runs too rich Reply with quote

My 2.0 NA 1976 924 has a really rough idle and runs rough below 2000rpm. It gets better when warm but still is nowhere near perfect. The whole engine is shaking. As soon as I go over 2000 RPM it is really smooth and when driving it doesn't stutter or anything bove 2000 RPM.

Another problem is that it's running too rich. When I adjust the air fuel mixture screw to make it run leaner it just runs a lot rougher.
Before I changed the fuel pump, accumulator and fuel filters it was at like 9% CO value. The lowest I got it to before it died was 3%. The pump and filters have made it run a lot better when driving. It used to stutter randomly but now it only does it below 2000rpm.

I have also replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap, points and breakers, condenser.
Could the injectors cause a problem like this?

Many thanks in advance
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to General - you put this in 931, and you have an NA - get a lot more responses here!

Certainly the injectors should be checked for spray pattern, but I'm guessing you haven't checked your control pressure?
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
WildP1  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
The spray patter didn't look too bad. I'm thinking it might just be timing related.
What is the control pressure supposed to be? I measured it once but didn't exactly know if the values were any good or not.
Thanks again.
BTRacing  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with connecting CIS gauges and monitoring fuel pressures. Most likely warm up regulator issue. It controls system pressure.
1993 Mercedes 190E Sportline LE, one of 700 made
2020 Ford F350 Tremor daily driver/tow pig
1974 Moto Guzzi Cafe Racer
2002 Formula Fastech 382
WildP1  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTRacing wrote:
I would start with connecting CIS gauges and monitoring fuel pressures. Most likely warm up regulator issue. It controls system pressure.

Will have a look at this, thanks!
scm924s  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 screws governing idle and mixture, the idle is controlled by a screw on the throttle body and mixture controlled by a screw on the fuel distributor, both should ideally be adjusted by using an exhaust gas analyser getting it to around 2.5%.

Always a good idea to have a fuel pressure test kit when monitoring the Kjet system.
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
WildP1  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scm924s wrote:
There are 2 screws governing idle and mixture, the idle is controlled by a screw on the throttle body and mixture controlled by a screw on the fuel distributor, both should ideally be adjusted by using an exhaust gas analyser getting it to around 2.5%.

Always a good idea to have a fuel pressure test kit when monitoring the Kjet system.

I had it on a gas analyser and the lowest I got it to was 3.5% and everything below would make it die. It drove the best at around 9% which is waaay too much. I suspect timing or some leak in the intake system might be the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: