Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

HELP! on removing Timing Belt cover
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: HELP! on removing Timing Belt cover Reply with quote

Need help friends. Replacing Timing Belt & V-belt and have 2 problems:

Cover is loose, but cannot get clearance at bottom to get the cover off/out.

Removed all obstructions that can be unbolted, seems bottom just won't clear the water pump - but not sure.

Please advise on what the trick is to get this cover off.

#2 problem is there is not enough clearance between the water pump pulley and the intake to the turbo below to even get the old belt off or new belt on. It is half the width of the V-belt for the water pump.

Surely I don't have to remove the intake to the turbo, do I?

TIA for the help,

GN
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the boost pipe need to go if i remember correctly, there are some small pieces sticking out on the belt cover that can be cut of, which makes it way way easier to remove.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric -

ARGH!!!! (what is that in Swedish?

I was hoping that wasn't necessary. Wonder why Haynes manual does not point that out.

Actually isn't it the intake pipe to the turbo and not the boost pipe? Or maybe it is.

I actually thought of cutting off what looks like the offending section of the cover at the bottom, but not sure I can get to it with snips, and the metal looks too heavy to snip anyway. Not sure how I'd cut while it is in place.....

GN

Cedric wrote:
I think the boost pipe need to go if i remember correctly, there are some small pieces sticking out on the belt cover that can be cut of, which makes it way way easier to remove.
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you secured a PDF copy of the workshop manuals?

Removing the boost pipe is the first step in the workshop manual. I don't know how the factory workshop compares to Haynes. I've found that having both can be helpful, except when they contradict each other. lol.

I need to change my timing belt soon. My car doesn't have the timing belt cover.

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck -

THANK YOU! Cedric provided me all the shop manuals but I had not checked them - was being lazy. Haynes has nothing on what preceeds the removal of the cover.

I had already started removing this boost section as it seemed apparent that it was indeed in the way. Am already 60% of the way disconnecting things, but hoping all did not need disconnecting.

Proceeding from here. Very appreciatative.

GN

chuck21401 wrote:

Removing the boost pipe is the first step in the workshop manual. I don't know how the factory workshop compares to Haynes. I've found that having both can be helpful, except when they contradict each other. lol.

I need to change my timing belt soon. My car doesn't have the timing belt cover.

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck -

Going through the factory manuals I cannot find the page you posted above. Which manual is it in?

Did not see in Service Information or Manual A or B.

TIA,

GN

chuck21401 wrote:

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been more precise. The document is the 924 turbo Assembly and Adjusting Instructions 80 MY.

Gatornapper wrote:
Chuck -

Going through the factory manuals I cannot find the page you posted above. Which manual is it in?

TIA,

GN

chuck21401 wrote:

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chuck! Found it!

Key is pulling the pulley off the water pump!

GN

chuck21401 wrote:
I should have been more precise. The document is the 924 turbo Assembly and Adjusting Instructions 80 MY.

Gatornapper wrote:
Chuck -

TIA,

GN

chuck21401 wrote:

Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Surprised.... Reply with quote

That the logical, mathematical, engineering German mind does not lay out Maintenance Items in a separate Manual, or at least somewhere by themselves.

Looked through many of the manuals and found no such thing.

GN
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 2 hours of wrestling & bending offending areas of the belt cover, I got it off. Offending areas will be cut off.

Now have to get A/C belt off to get old timing belt off and new one on. Compressor with bolts removed does not want to move enough to get belt off.

Very strange - car in storage for 17 years - coolant looked brand new, bright green/yellow with no debris in it whatsoever.

New K&N oil filter on w/fresh Valvoline VR-1 oil.

New water pump and idler pulley going on. No sense not doing them as all need timing belt cover off & I'm not wanting to repeat getting it off in this life.

Slowly...........

GN
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lower one is just a bear!!! Glad to hear you got it after only two hours.
Gatornapper  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut off the offending sections that made removal difficult.....can't see that they are critical.

Going back in should be much easier - but going to run engine a bit w/o it to make sure all belts adjusted correctly - especially timing belt.

GN

jacobroufa wrote:
That lower one is just a bear!!! Glad to hear you got it after only two hours.
joemoma1990  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat the crap out of my cover and when it finally came out I threw it across the yard. it only covers half the belt so it is really not needed other then to keep you from sticking your fingers into something, and I am guessing you are old enough to know better by now LOL
bear924  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically run with my cover off. It doesn't look as nice however it allows for frequent timing belt inspections and creates a little bit more room for other work in the engine bay.

From time to time I've reinstalled .. only to find myself annoyed that I have to take it off again.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very large amount of old members and long time 924 owners run without the cover, myself included..

If someone offered to install one on my car for free I would decline...

I have it, but do not want it on, not even considering the frustrating work of it, I dislike it being there anyway..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: