Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

'77 924 base... lotta questions.. Brakes, Suspension..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinotdino  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: '77 924 base... lotta questions.. Brakes, Suspension.. Reply with quote

Hello everyone.. so I've had a '77 924 base I picked up a year ago.. I'm the 2nd owner.. about 75k miles, 4-lug... all original. Now, I'm looking to do a few upgrades over the winter and hoping some of you could chime in with some experience.

Brakes - I redid the front brakes (rotors, hawk pads, hardware) as well as the rear drums. Currently sending out the calipers to be rebuilt/painted. Brake question: can someone let me know a part # or source to pick up a new master cylinder? I see 5-lug ones all over.. which MC will work?

Suspension - It has the original shocks/springs and Id like to upgrade a bit. I doubt I'll track the car, but will drive it a bit hard on twisty roads and such. What are some options you have used and how do you like the result? A mechanic friend suggested the red Koni's for front and rear? I do think it would also help to perhaps lower a bit? Any thoughts on struts/shocks and springs?

Upgrades - any other pieces would be good to update? I plan to do most of the work myself and not in a rush.. Thank you!
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you do the suspension do the front end bushings at the same time, and be sure to check all steering and suspension joins, if they are sloppy it takes out some of the nice feel. Yellows koni or bilstein should do well if you plan on some focused driving on twisty roads, they make a big difference. I think the red might be a bit comfort oriented, it depends on what you like with cars.

Getting some good tyres on there also makes a big difference, problem is that there are pretty much none available in 14 inch, at least not in this part of the world. But old dry tyres can really ruin a good car.
pinotdino  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric, thanks for the reply and suggestions. Yes, I will also check and replace bushings/joints.. and am going between the yellow or red Koni's.. but leaning towards the yellow. That I also another issue, the lack of rubber for those tiny 14' wheels. I looked into going to a 5 lug and getting some larger wheels but not sure I want to go this route with this 924. I just want to make it a fun driver with some of these upgrades..

Cedric wrote:
While you do the suspension do the front end bushings at the same time, and be sure to check all steering and suspension joins, if they are sloppy it takes out some of the nice feel. Yellows koni or bilstein should do well if you plan on some focused driving on twisty roads, they make a big difference. I think the red might be a bit comfort oriented, it depends on what you like with cars.

Getting some good tyres on there also makes a big difference, problem is that there are pretty much none available in 14 inch, at least not in this part of the world. But old dry tyres can really ruin a good car.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinotdino wrote:
Cedric, thanks for the reply and suggestions. Yes, I will also check and replace bushings/joints.. and am going between the yellow or red Koni's.. but leaning towards the yellow. That I also another issue, the lack of rubber for those tiny 14' wheels. I looked into going to a 5 lug and getting some larger wheels but not sure I want to go this route with this 924. I just want to make it a fun driver with some of these upgrades..

Cedric wrote:

Apart from the brake feel and looks (and the brake drum adjustment that is needed from time to time), there is not much point to go with the 5lug setup. The 4 lug is good enough for endurance racing if you would want to.

I dont know how the supply of 15 inch wheels are over there, but that drastically changes the amount of sporty tyres to chose from. To have fun on the road I prefer good sporty tyres but keeping the width and tyre circumference reasonably low, otherwise the car will feel slower and not be as fun to drive.

Although 7iinch wide is a bit overkill the BBS copys are looking pretty cool:
http://885wheels.com/

My first NA was more or less totally standard, for a while I ran with the GAZ adjustable dampers as the only upgrade, they are said to be farily similar to the Koni yellows. I thought it worked great on standard springs, and it definitely enhanced the body control alot. I have only tried red konis on a friends car (foxbody mustang) and they felt almost to soft for my taste and driving, but great comfort, but its a completely different car of course, so it might mean nothing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: