Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Final Race Weekend of Season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Final Race Weekend of Season Reply with quote

Had our final go round at La Junta CO track, a short 1.2 mile old WWII airport training base. Our vintage group emphasizes track time so the track was very seldom quiet for more than 2 or 3 minutes. With four race groups we got in 1 qualifying session and 4 15 minute races on Saturday, Practice and 3 races Sunday. It came out to 1 hr 45 minutes to track time or a possible over 100 laps.

Most of the cars are 40 to 50 year old race cars, of course the motors and suspensions have been upgraded with time and a 1275 Sprite can have 135HP pretty easily so a power to weight ratio of about 11lb/hp, I'm at about 16 to 17 so at a tremendous disadvantage on acceleration. So I'm about the slowest in the group besides have a small fraction of the experience of mot of the folks.

I figured I got in about 75 laps on the 7 turn course two of which are a constant challenge. On Sunday morning I saw that the volt meter had dropped from 14 to 12 so I checked it out. It turned out that the bolt holding the lower alternator bracket to the block was gone. Putting it back together to have it not work I remembered the spacer between the block and the bracket. I had replaced the stock rubber one with a steel spacer so it was gone. I found in my bolt box a 12mm lock nut so put it in as a spacer and it worked ok. I lost the practice session and one race due to that. Managed to get my fastest time of the weekend in the last race of the year, a 25 minute one that I had been worried about before hand but was having such a good time I hated to have to stop.

The one necessary correction I found is that I have a great tendency to wheel lock up during trail braking. This was apparently a common problem with the Spec944 folks and they compensated with different brake pads front and rear. I have the same system so the current plan is to put a adjustable pressure reducer to the rear brakes. Almost everyone else has a dual cylinder balance bar setup, I still have the brake booster and stock MC.

A new 931 non turbo based motor of about 11.5 CR is in the works and I have a couple of small weight reduction projects planned for the winter as well as modifying the body front to make the entire valance removable for transport as with my current setup I have a 8 degree approach angle and have to have about 15foot ramps(really ugly) to get on the trailer so I change the front wheels to some that have old trailer tires on them to jack the front end up.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange with the braking; we have no such problems on our car, running the same compound front and rear.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Strange with the braking; we have no such problems on our car, running the same compound front and rear.

Me neither, but weight bias might differ to a stripped na car.

Have you done a good corner weight adjustment?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the 944MC which is 19.8/23.4(that"s close) instead of the 19.8/19.8 from the 924. That might have something to do with it.

My last corner balance with the sway bars hooked up was quite close, adjusted 1 spring about 1/4 of a turn. Since then I have installed the Audi 5 speed which is supposedly 30 lbs heavier than the 4 speed. The front sway bar is mounted like the late aluminum A arm ones. pin thru the A arm, so it is quite difficult to get unloaded unless it is just disconnected from the car. Rear is a Weltmeister so easily detachable and adjustable. The closest corner balance scale I know of is about 5 hours across the mountains so not much fun to get to with winter on the way.

These suggestions do give me food for thought, I need to take apart the suspension and to a total reset and inspection over the winter so I'll try to come with a way to get the balance better.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: