Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Round 1, Fight!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterld  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the block hot-tanked and then rebuild it.
Everything looks OK. Measure carefully, then new rings/bearings/gaskets etc. Maybe consider a very light hone of the bores. Slight excessive piston to bore clearance can be taken up by ceramic coating the piston skirts.
Similarly with the head. Have it cleaned then lap valves/seals/gaskets etc.
Alleycat_Joe  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterld wrote:
...Measure carefully, then new rings/bearings/gaskets etc. Maybe consider a very light hone of the bores. Slight excessive piston to bore clearance can be taken up by ceramic coating the piston skirts.
Similarly with the head. Have it cleaned then lap valves/seals/gaskets etc.

Thanks! That answered a lot of my questions.
Are 931 and 924 piston rings the same? It looks like Grant rings are the most affordable and initial research shows they're cast iron and are reliable. Any downsides to that brand if I plan to do an actual engine build in the future?

I took measurements of the bores at the top and middle, front-to-back and side-to-side. I took a picture of my calipers from the largest bore measurement for "digital enhancement," as shown below:

ENHANCE!

Upon closer inspection it looks like my largest bore diameter was in the range of 86.58-86.61mm. Given I'm honing group 602 (86.52mm) and 0.08mm is the wear limit, boring and oversized pistons are technically required, but since my compression test was within spec for that cylinder (#2), I'd rather save that for a year or two down the road, maybe get a second engine to build over time. I'm hesitant to try ceramic coating the piston as I don't have a lot of funds to send them off or buy the sandblaster to prep the pistons for coating at home. Has anyone here successfully ceramic coated pistons at home without a sandblaster?

Fun fact: cylinder 3 has the least wear.

The connecting rod with the most side clearance was 0.279mm, well within the 0.4mm wear limit.

The kicker though was the crankshaft end play, which measured to a whopping 0.736mm! The wear limit there is 0.25mm, so I guess I need a new journal bearing, therefore a new bearing set like
peterld recommended.

There was no radial play in any of the bearings (by feel) so I'm surprised the crankshaft end play was so drastic. Here's a picture where I measured so please correct me if I measured wrong:

Maybe this is the damage I caused with my "double-crowbar underhand backside kick" maneuver when trying to separate the driveshaft from the crankshaft while under the car? (Edit: not likely)

Heartfelt thanks to everyone who set up and participated in the bearing group buy in 2009; it looks like ebs-racing still sells them today, probably because of those individuals!

Edit: Well here’s my problem.

The thrust bearing is worn completely flat on the front, and it has worn a groove into the crankshaft (where the crankshaft touches the thrust bearing on the front).

I was unable to get a precise reading on the depth of the wear on the crankshaft, so hopefully it’s in the realm of <0.1mm.

I measured the thickness of the bearing faces (~1mm on the back and ~0.5mm on the front) so the front face is worn in the range of 0.540mm +-0.133mm. Hopefully this is where the crankshaft end play originates, and if I install a new thrust, endplay should be within the wear limits. I’m worried however that I need a new crankshaft, because of the groove in the crankshaft. I plan on plastiguaging the other bearings, and if everything else is within the wear limit I found a source for a new thrust bearing alone. I may just replace the thrust bearing alone and use this motor as a test bed for the EFI set up while I gather build parts for possibly a second engine. Thoughts?

Edit 2: I removed all the bearing caps and decided to go ahead on a full bearing set, as most of them had some scoring. Luckily all the journals looked great, considering the lack of maintenance this engine saw. This is the only way for me to determine if I need a new crank. Surprisingly the rod bearings and journals looked healthier, but still had a couple grooves. I plan to file a relief cut on the thrust bearing to allow extra oil to reach the front thrust surface. Hopefully this will mitigate the wear issue without significantly impacting oil pressure.

Edit 3: Thrust bearing clearance is in spec! 0.051mm on the journal surface and 0.189mm for crankshaft end play! That leaves me at 0.061mm before the end play wear limit but it’s good enough for me to run this crankshaft.

Last edited by Alleycat_Joe on Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Alleycat_Joe  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hard at work here, I've put in around 20 hours since the last post cleaning and checking tolerances. So far nothing bad except warpage in the head and block. Block is within spec but this engine was clearly overheated, since the head is way out of spec, which explains the fan switches in the mess of wiring under the dash.
Every first piston ring was broken in at least two places, one piston even had four separate pieces flinging around. Make that another case for bad S1 ring design.

The valve keepers were an absolute pain, requiring a hydraulic press to remove. That's normal, right?

One piston had metal debris embedded in the side, causing deep scoring on the wall. Wild stuff.

I filed down the valve damage on the piston heads, it had been left to hot spot and attract detonation by the mechanics who replaced the valves. There is evidence of detonation on pistons 3 and 4 between the valve indents. Everything seems fine to reuse, aside from bearings.

Also what the hell holds some of these paper gaskets on their surfaces? Seems like they're bonded on a molecular level or some shit. Had a time trying to clean up the oil pump.

Corrosion in the block has been addressed with a vinegar bath and wire brushes. Pretty happy with the results, but I only have a "during" picture.

Sadly, seven of the EBS Racing bearings were damaged during shipment or manufacturing, but they sent replacements ASAP, which was nice.

All-in-all good progress, but this is a lot more damage than I was anticipating based on my discussions with the seller. It's a good learning experience and I have the time, so I'm grateful in the end, as long as I can get done within the year.
Alleycat_Joe  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title acquired and transferred into my own name! Let the spending begin!
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching so keep it up!
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Alleycat_Joe  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
I'm watching so keep it up!

Thanks! I've been busy on the car and sourcing parts so an update is due.

I goofed the final exhaust valve during disassembly of the head and didn't find out until I was lapping the valves before reassembly.

I cleaned all the axles and repacked them with fancy grease.

I modified the distributor into a single tooth cam gear, but still have to mount a sensor and test.

I made intake and exhaust manifold studs and a block off plate potentially for a boost port.

Went to the junkyard for hatch struts (95 jeep cherokee) hood struts (13 Chevy HHR) Throttle body (06 Audi A6) TPS sensor (04 Land Rover Disco) and a smart Coil Pack (05 VW New Beetle 8v)

I modified the throttle body with the original porsche cable mount and a custom bracket to mount the Disco tps. The audi tps was too large and the shaft was too long so it had to be cut.

Edit: The throttle port on the intake manifold will need to be enlarged for the larger 52mm butterfly valve and the offset on the 35mm valve. Original sizes were 35mm and 44mm, so at least all this effort is a decent upgrade.

I also honed the cylinders a little, barely scratched them but it's hopefully enough to promote ring sealing. The cylinders ideally would be bored but I'd like to see how many miles I can get out of the engine without a machine shop or buying new pistons. Just piston rings for now.

As it sits, I still need conrod bearings and no viable source had been identified. Since I am not expecting much from the motor at this point, I may simply reuse the original bearings as long as they are within tolerance. I also have to source conrod bolts. Then it can all be reassembled and tossed back in the car with everything else.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Mittlemotor in Germany has the worlds supply of standard size con rod bearings

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
peterld  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about trying Coco-Lev who posts on here?
Alleycat_Joe  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
Apparently Mittlemotor in Germany has the worlds supply of standard size con rod bearings

That seems about right, at least until Mespiècesauto starts making some. Picked some up for 145 Euro + 79 shipping. Pricey.

Progress pictures are due.

Piston rings are 1st oversize for Peugeot XU10 engine and compression ring is standard moly since origin engine is turbo. All specs are good except compression ring thickness leaves .004" gap in the ring groove...it should be fine.

Con rod bolts are from the Alfa Romeo GTV. They fit 99% perfect except they are not as harsh of a press fit as original bolts and have an offset head profile which keeps them from spinning on the original rods. Works on ours too...well enough.

Mounted the 36-1 wheel from a Ford. Cut out the center, drilled 120 degree holes in the centerline of a 2.5" aluminum pipe cut to fit in the pulley. Pipe is mounted with bolts using tension against the inside of the pulley. Flathead machine screws were stolen from the gutted dizzy. May revisit this design unless it works.

Interior rust featuring a hole in the battery tray as seen from the footwell. Hurricane season is upon Florida, so getting this repaired or stored inside is critical.

Sneak peek at the new turbo manifold.

I may be switching jobs soon, hopefully it works out and I can afford a warehouse space for all this hobbying.
peterld  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have been busy, and inventive, and very resourceful.
love your work. Do keep us informed.
Alleycat_Joe  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterld wrote:
Well, you have been busy, and inventive, and very resourceful.
love your work. Do keep us informed.

Cheers! I’ve been spending hundreds of hours researching, so I’m glad people who understand the project are following along. I don’t want myself or others to be limited by “NLA” and literal 3000% price markups by Porsche, so it’s worth all the effort to be able to keep modifying/maintaining these cars.
anthonimartini  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow, theres a good source for attainable conrod bolts! thats one of the last things i need for my d prod engine build! as for rod bearings i just got my cranks turned to .010" on the rods. plenty of good old made in germany .010" bearings on ebay still.i got one of the nice blue boxed kolbenschmidt sets for about 40 bucks! made in w. germany!!!
83 944
87 924S
Instagram @anthoni.jpeg
formerly known as turbellion, lost password.
Alleycat_Joe  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved into the new shop, it's still a mess though.

Done some ring work.

Started brake work which I immediately regretted. The connector pin was frozen in the brake pedal and I decided to cut it. Luckily the parts car had a spare, which came out with equally as much difficulty.

Got the old tires off the rims with the help of 6 tons and leverage. I do have a manual tire installer/remover, but this rubber was too stiff.

Checked con rod bearing clearance.

Investigative work on the battery acid rust started. Looks like I get to replace the whole battery tray, parts of the frame, fender well, and make a new motor mount.

Straightened the cylinder head from 7 thousandths inch warpage to 3 thousandths with a tig welder. Pretty slick. Also swapped out the worn out intake valve guides. That was a fun trick considering the replacements were a little larger. I hope that I didn't have to ream the cylinder head to avoid the valves seizing in the new guides.

Flushed the oil system with a custom drill adapter. Turns out there were metal flakes in the system after the oil filter. Who knew...

I'm thinking about flushing oil through the system with the head installed as well. Don't want to send any errant metal to the camshaft journals either...

Also took the old brick autocrossing! Ended at the top of my class that day beating a 2015 Mazda 3, 1963 MGB, and 1993 240sx.

MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while your in there youll want to check the firewall at the clutch master for cracking.

also don't use the hatch struts they will seperate the glass from the frame at the hinge (I just pop them on and off as needed when I open the hatch, remove the metal clip)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work. I'd be interested in hearing more about how you used the TIG to straighten the head?

Am about to dive into my Turbo motor today, after pulling it yesterday; a lot less work than you have, but I did rebuild it not that long ago. Reason for rebuild this time, actually it's only fresh rings, as I screwed up the install last time, used the wrong lube, and the rings never broke in. F All for compression, massive blowby; it's amazing how boost can make up for all that! LOL

New Total Seal rings this time - yes, Turbo-specific, not the same as NA - and will be installing with WD40 as lube per Total Seal. Though ATF comes highly recommended as well. WD40 worked wonderfully in the last 924 motor I built, the one currently in the NA racecar.

As the bottom end is fresh and good (was running fine with great oil pressure when it came out), I'll be planning to keep the bearings in use, unmolested. Just de-glaze the bores with a dingle-ball hone on the drill, clean everything, fresh paint on the outside, and back together and in the car promptly.

An aside on thrust bearing wear; I wonder/suspect if that's related to clutch loads and perhaps the longitudinal position of the torque tube? There is a spec for how far forward that is supposed to protrude out of the end of the housing...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: