Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

2021 SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Indy Oct 1-3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: 2021 SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Indy Oct 1-3 Reply with quote

A heads-up to all interested in maybe seeing some of us racing live (on the web, anyway); Hayes Lewis and I will both be racing in this year's Sports Car Club of America National Championship Runoffs Oct 1-3rd at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - yes, the Brickyard!

Hayes will be of most interest to you this time around, as he's the one actually racing a 924! He will be joining a large crowd of some 40-odd racers in the debut of the 924 in the H Production class. This will be Hayes's first appearance at the Runoffs, after may years of racing his other 924 in ITB (yes this is a different car).

Schedule, live streaming and all the deets can be found on the SCCA's website at:
http://www.scca.com/runoffs

We will actually be there earlier in the week, as qualifying sessions (also available live on the web, same link above, with timing/scoring, webcam video feed and announcing) will be run Tuesday through Thursday, Sept 28-30th.

I will be making my second appearance, both at Indy and the Runoffs, this year in the #25 Hidari Firefly Prototype 2 (aka P2). We don't have quite as big a turnout as HP, but that hopefully just gives me a little better chance at some screen time during the race!

As noted, the detailed and complete schedule is available at the link above; in fact, H Prod will be the very first class to kick off qualifying at 8AM Central Standard Time (Chicago time, for those overseas) on Tuesday morning! P2, meanwhile, will be running together with P1 (a similar, but faster class) for qualifying, and will be the very last group out on Tuesday.

More to the point, the races: H Prod will be the second group racing on Friday the 1st, scheduled to go on course at 9:15 AM CST. Again, full and proper video coverage with announcers will be available at scca.com.

P2 will be the second-to-last group up Saturday, on course at 4:15PM CST.

A taste of what's coming, here's the H Prod race from last time at Indy:
https://www.scca.com/videos/2033599

That aside, as much as you may be lusting to watch us get out there and mix it up, I will warn you that THE VERY BEST MOST ENTERTAINING races of the week will NOT be happening Oct 1-3rd!

That is because the Last Chance Qualifying Races for the two most popular classes in SCCA, Spec Pinata (aka Spec Miata) and Spec Wrecker (aka Spec Racer Ford) will be held Thursday night, the 30th... and this will be the chance for the 40 least-talented drivers in the field in each class to vie for one of only 12 positions that will make it through to their championship races during the weekend! What's more, they have only 15 minutes - about 6 laps or so - to get it done! So much on the line, and so little capability to deliver, means that these are for sure the most entertaining races of the weekend; all the rest of us racers will be sitting in Turn 1 with a six pack of beer waiting for the $hit-$how to unfold!

So even if you're not interested in catching some of the real championship races over the weekend, I highly recommend checking out these Thursday Evening Specials. They really are a good laugh!

Here's the video of the SM race last time 'round:
https://www.scca.com/videos/2033574

Hope you can find time to cheer us on!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, there's always good racing to watch in the runoffs!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further update, live timing and scoring direct now at:
https://www.scca.com/live
'82 931 Plat. Silver
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Vaughn, I will be watching! Best of luck to you and Hayes!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible job by Hayes to get his car to Indy on a Hail Mary motor build - only to have it run flawlessly all week, learn the track well, and make up an impressive number of places despite a shortened race due to some significant on-track carnage.

Our week went horribly; long ugly story to post later. The only real upsides are we can use the car again, we still have a motor that works, I didn't have to get any medical attention, and I hope this puts the inevitable Runoffs curse of bad years behind us for a little while. I'm still coming to grips with the truly insane about of time effort and money spent to accomplish so little.

Short version: blew up and caught fire in practice. Repaired and swapped and made it out to qualify... badly due to traffic. Then didn't make it past Turn 1 in the race. Hell, I never even got to turn the steering wheel for 1.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
hayeslewis  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: 924 at Indy Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/bBl1d6akcBU?t=7030
2007 Armada
2013 Hyundai Elantra
1972 MG Midget Vintage project
Unstable electrified three wheeled Bicycle truck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: