Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

‘Gearing’ up for a transaxle swap?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaddyman19  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: ‘Gearing’ up for a transaxle swap? Reply with quote

I realize this is something that has probably been beaten to death 9 different ways on this forum but I’m having trouble figuring out what transaxle numbers I could use to find a relatively easy swap candidate for my 1977 4spd 924. It’s going to be used for street/daily driving.

What I know so far:

1. My car is non-turbo with rear drums, my understanding is that I currently have the transmission and torque tube with the 20mm input shaft so so the torque tube would have to be changed along with the transmission. Stock motor is staying in the car for now.

2. I’ll have to figure out a new shifter linkage and hydraulic clutch etc.

3. Suspension will have to be updated to 944 stuff/disk brakes all around.

4. Current numbers that were on the table for transaxles that are possible are:

Audi numbers 016, 01x, 01E (depending on year as apparently they change to AWD gearing at some point.) it’s been mentioned in my research that 1st is relatively short in some of these but again this is a street only car.

I’d like to buy the transaxle and suspension parts a la carte as I don’t really have the space for an entire donor 944 (which would probably be more ideal, I know).

Getting sidetracked from the original goal of this post though, are there any other transaxle numbers that I’m missing, any pros or cons of the ones I’ve listed? Any other work involved that I may have over looked?

The goal is to get a decent transmission swapped in and drivable before I start working towards an engine swap (I’m eyeing the 1.8t since it’s a somewhat commonplace swap).

I appreciate the help in advance and again I’m sorry if this is beating a dead horse.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you really just want to build a car you would be better off with the much more refined 924S or 944 and then change the motor. There is an outfit in Georgia that makes 1.8t conversion parts that make it much easier.

What your looking to do could get pretty complicated. I'd find a 944 for the rear suspension and brakes. The front can also be used, but requires fabricating brackets for the 944 anti-roll bar. The only transmission that would do you any good and fits is the 016/9 5 speed with its 4.11 ratio from 1981 and up as it has the 20mm shaft. The 78 4 speed has a 3.88 rear axle ratio rather than 3.60 in the '77 and the 79 and 80 have a Porsche transmission requiring a different torque tube and torsion bar carrier to hold it. The 931 has a 25mm shaft and and transmission also requires changing the TB carrier. Audi trans have a simple linkage, the Porsche ones much more complex and parts more difficult to find and can get expensive.

Good Luck

Unless you really just want to build a car you would be better off with the much more refined 924S or 944 and then change the motor. There is an outfit in Georgia that makes 1.8 conversion parts that make it much easier.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you want to change everything except the body?

Probably cheaper to buy another car..

Why a 1.8T?

I don’t really get the whole 1.8T thing..
Their head is cool, just had one in my hands the other day.. Their manifold/turbo is rediculous.. Was just playing with one..

Yeah their easy to get a little more power out of, but it’s not that much, and I wouldn’t think it would be worth swapping for..

IDK.. It doesn’t tickle my fancy..
Gaddyman19  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
So basically you want to change everything except the body?

Probably cheaper to buy another car..

True enough I suppose, if I can get away with finding a 5 speed for my car then I wouldn’t change the suspension or anything, which someone already specified id need a 016/9. The whole reason I was talking about that was because I though I remembered some one specifying that a 944 transmission has different cv axles connecting to the hubs and the suspension would have to change to accept all that, unless I misunderstood.

I’m an idiot 22 year old who wants to go faster and I guess I wasn’t fully considering it from a logistical perspective, most of these cars in my area are pretty rough and the one I have currently has a decent interior, so I figured I’d keep it and change the mechanical to fit what I wanted.

I guess I can settle for the 4speed and maybe in the future track down a car that would be more of a blank canvas for those types of modifications
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaddyman19 wrote:

I’m an idiot 22 year old who wants to go faster

Perfect!!
I was about that age when I got my first 924 too..

Does it run pretty good as is?
Put a small shot of nitrous on it! Like 50 HP..
Tune it right and it’ll handle it.. Engines are tanks..

Quick, easy, cheap, pretty cool..
Do it..
Gaddyman19  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:

Perfect!!
I was about that age when I got my first 924 too..

Neat! I love mine, it’s a lot of fun already as it is even for its age.

Quote:
Does it run pretty good as is?

Yeah, it runs pretty decent right now but it leaks a little oil from the head gasket, just got it in the mail last week so I’m getting ready to do that

Otherwise everything else on the to-do list is quality of life stuff, brighter dash lights, A new temperature switch - mine is erratic sometimes so failing that I’m going to be cleaning the gauge grounds when I do the lights - I’m either changing the seats out with aftermarket ones or reupholstering the existing ones, haven’t decided yet. Plus some other stuff that I’m probably forgetting.

I already finished fixing some wiring stuff and rebuilt the drum brakes to get it to stop properly.

How difficult is NOS for mechanical fuel injection? I also considered switching to EFI but the threads I’ve read here make it seem like a pain.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wet shot of NOS should work just like on a carbureted engine I would think..

See if you can find any local speed/performance shop to do it, or atleast make sure it is tuned correctly..

Bet you could have it all done even with some pro help for under $1,000..
And in like 1 day..
Gaddyman19  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:

Bet you could have it all done even with some pro help for under $1,000..
And in like 1 day..

That would be awesome I appreciate you putting up with me and talking me out of bad/unrealistic ideas

I’ll have to ask around about the NOS shot and update you if I decide to go through with it.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do

Don’t be a stranger.. Keep coming back!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or this could be a great option also..
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=44568
Gaddyman19  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Or this could be a great option also..
https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=44568

That looks awesome as well! If he goes into production with a group buy I’ll have to get in on that, would be a good way to have a consistent HP increase without having to replace nitrous if I ever ran out, tracking down a supercharger might be a little tricky but there’s plenty of pick n pulls around where I am so I might be able to find something…

Edit: actually a used supercharger can be snagged of eBay for like $400… might seriously consider that.
Gaddyman19  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I actually ended up finding and buying a clapped out 944 as fastEddie and mikejinco suggested, $500 and it’s a blank canvas, I’ve decided I’m going to leave the 924 alone other than maintenance and safety changes since it’s already a good car.

Think I decided I’d feel better about starting with a blank canvas than changing something that already works like both of you already pointed out. I’ll probably still do the supercharger upgrade when that comes out though too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: