Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Supercharged 924 NA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C�dric wrote:
Looks very good! I think there will be many interested 924 owners when this is done.

I noticed that speed academy made some fiddling to get the driveability fixed on their supercharged Lexus, to calm it down a bit when coming on the throttle. It was fixed with a little restrictor in the line to the standard bypass valve to make it shut a bit slower. Is it anything you have tried?

https://youtu.be/Bh-Ka-jOBIg

That was exactly the problem i had.
Their solution solves the boost kicking in problem which in my application was not as severe as i am running low boost on a small engine.
Not sure how much they drove their car and how their plumbing is arranged but in my case the effect was more noticeable at highway cruising speeds when letting go of the throttle pedal.
The accumulated charge between the charger and the TB had trouble flowing trough the recirculating valve as the valve would close too late vs the TB valve shutting instantly...so i would essentially have trapped charge that would force trough the TB as well as put strain on the plumbing and make the car jolt forwards at above 120kph when letting go of the pedal and trying to cruise.
So if i added a restrictor...it may smoothen out the engagement but probably not solve my disengagement issue.

I solved the problem in a different way, i wanted to add a safety valve anyway as most people would just buy a used mini cooper S recirc valve and the integrity of the system and functionality of the system would then be ensured by that one used valve. The idea is to run 3D printed parts under boost...so i cant afford regular big boost spikes.
So i added another blow off valve that currently vents to atmosphere...this smoothens out the engagement a bit and makes the disengagement of the boost seamless. It really feels like you're driving a powerful NA now with extra instant torque on demand.
This atmo bov messes with the AFR obviously but i'm working on keeping that on the safe side, plan is to operate the bov on boost side of the chamber rather than on vacuum so that i dont have air bleeding out at partial/low pedal inputs and the bov only opens above a certain pre TB boost level, therefore acting as a boost limitator as well as a blow off valve.

Also, i'm preparing to run higher boost on my car, the kit will still keep the 0.2bar for now as i dont think 0.35 is safe at this CR and with no intercooler blasting trough a hot summer day.
I want to try to make a cost effective pure water spray system to add on to the higher boost applications.

reposted photo and video to be visible on this page as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51cJWAS2QI

Juho  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that looks so good!
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! It's nice to see it set up outside of the engine. Really gets tucked away in there..
procyon  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in this as well, now that I have the EFI system working well it's time for boost.
2021 Maxda CX-30
Sndtech  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... can't wait for this to be ready. I'm in for two systems for two NA's I have,. Great job so far Morghen
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday i started the conversion on the first customer car, a close friend of mine.
Its also a good opportunity to evaluate how difficult it is to do the conversion starting with the kit and an original 924.
So far the most difficult thing is handling the supercharger when putting it on the brackets, perhaps a helping hand is a good idea but can certainly be done by one person alone as well.
Hoping to finish it today after work but the mosquitos are mad in the evening and its simply not possible to work after sunset.

Will be picking up some CNC made parts either today or mid of next week after my short holiday...so i'll soon have the first production kit on my car to test as the 924 i'm working on today gets the prototype parts that were on my car for one year.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is excellent to hear! I bet your friend is getting very excited for boost.

So excited to see more development and finishing touches.
TJC  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:

Hoping to finish it today after work but the mosquitos are mad in the evening and its simply not possible to work after sunset.

A) Cut lemons in half, stick a bunch of whole cloves in them and place a few around the area. Limes work too!

B) (3) Cups Lavendar Epsom Salts
(1) Large Bottle Mint Mouthwash
(3) 12 ounce bottles/cans STALE beer
Mix all together, (makes about 1 gallon) and put in a generic weed/bug pump up sprayer and spray mixture around area. Note: it does leave a residue!

C) Many commercial ultra violet type mosquito lights are available, some with bait!

See, it's not all about 924's and stuff. sometimes we need to expand our interests...especially in the matter of self preservation!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat a lot of Garlic. Keeps the skeeters (and GFs) away.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i appreciate it.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update,

I have picked up the first CNC made parts, these are the first aluminium parts, the prototypes were steel, so the aluminium brackets will get a test in my car in the next couple of weeks.

The latest design 3D printed parts that will take boost and heat will also be tested...so basically i'll have a brand new kit on my car and i'll trash it a bit under hot weather to see how it holds up.

If everything goes well and nothing fails or looks like it will fail, i'll start making the first batch list within July.

I spent most of yesterday installing the old prototype kit on my buddy's 924.
Here is a very short video of the first drive.

https://youtu.be/E-2R1Teoc48
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So perfect and methodical! This is a brilliant idea and follow thru! Can't wait to hear one in person over here some day soon! Pretty sure Jacob is first in line
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
So perfect and methodical! This is a brilliant idea and follow thru! Can't wait to hear one in person over here some day soon! Pretty sure Jacob is first in line

That 9 second video is such a tease.. Awesome you have gotten the parts!
kondzi  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds nice
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update on the 924 supercharger kit, got the first CNC parts and did a quick test mount today.
These parts will stay in my car and will get tested in the next weeks and more.

I now have suppliers set and spoken with, agreed on pricing, timing and such stuff, just one part that needs me to source the material and send it to the supplier...otherwise they want stupid money.
Couple of small dimensional adjustments and its ready to be replicated.

Assembly is not silly easy but not hard either, it requires a certain sequence but its doable if you follow instructions(i'll make a video).

Currently waiting for the 3D printed parts wrapper to finish my parts, he's late..but what can you do.
I'm excited to drive this thing as it has some significant changes since the last working prototype.

Did a list of all things required and the price will be very close to 1050 euro(if we do 10 sets group buys) + shipping for the guys that want a copy of this thing.
I will include everything needed, except the charger, meaning belt, bolts, washers, hoses, clamps, brackets, pipes, seals,..etc.

Here are a few shots of the parts and my desk model.
Cant wait to add the tubes and the rest of the parts to see it complete.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 7 of 18

Jump to: