Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How do I test my fuel tank re-install?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gml  

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: How do I test my fuel tank re-install? Reply with quote

Hey all, I just got everything reconnected from my fuel tank replacement. Is there something I can do to test that I did everything satisfactorily and everything is working before I put the transmission back in?

1982 924 NA 5-speed
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put gas in and run the fuel pump?
gml  

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do.

Possibly a stupid question: Would it be a terrible idea to start the engine? The driveshaft is totally disconnected so in theory it seems it would just spin and do nothing to the wheels. What am I forgetting?

1982 924 NA 5-speed
safe  

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you testing really?
That the tank doesn't leak, do that before you put it in, or preferably before you buy it...
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
gml  

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to test that my hoses aren’t leaking most of all. Also would like to test I connected the hoses correctly although I’m more confident about that.

1982 924 NA 5-speed
gml  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My battery was faulty, after turning the key to the first position a faint light for oil pressure and fuel went on and died out. Multimeter tested about 6V on the battery after that and just over 10V after leaving the battery disconnected overnight. Bought a battery charger and the battery could not get charged above 10V, fault code indicates a bad battery. Waiting to curbside pick up my new battery (I ordered a MOTOMASTER Group Size 41 Battery, 650 CCA which matches the specs I found on this board).

Bumping my last question: is it safe to start the car with the transmission disconnected? I really want to see if it runs well before I wrap up this job.

Another question: I was going to prime the pump by disconnecting the ignition coil just so it doesn't start and then repeatedly turning the ignition key to the first position. I have a couple of liters in the fuel tank now. This plan failed since my battery was toast, but is that a fine way to prime the pump once I install my replacement battery?

1982 924 NA 5-speed
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priming not necessary. Gravity will fill it with fuel.
Paul  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to start it without the tranny whose mounts serve as extended motor mounts, make sure you secure the tranny end of the torque tube so it doesn't bounce around.

I wouldn't do it, no need since just running the fuel pump by jumping the fuel pump relay will pressurize the system and will activate the bypass at the fuel distributor. Don't do this for long since you will be putting fuel into your oil pan.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
gml  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas!

With the new battery I turned the key just a couple of times, I didn't hear the fuel pump over the loud buzzing in the interior when the key was in the ignition. I had my phone videorecording by the pump but couldn't hear the pump on the video over the buzzing. (Is this cabin buzzing normal? It's very loud. Is it trying to warn me about something?)

Decided to just start it as per your recommendations. It didn't have a lot of trouble starting up but it wants to die right away. I didn't give it any gas to help it get going since it all felt quite sketchy.

But I filled a few more liters in the tank, didn't notice any leaking where the filler hose joins to the tank and no leaking at the in-tank pump or anywhere under the car, so I'm satisfied!

Hope to drive it around the block next week!

1982 924 NA 5-speed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: