Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Autocrossing a 924S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glemon  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Autocrossing a 924S Reply with quote

I know there are lots of topics on this forum such as competition and 924S specific, but thought I would post here as traffic is pretty light everywhere and most all the focus these days seems to be on the general discussion and for sale sections.

I have always read about the front engine transaxle cars being great handlers, but other than feeling some nice g forces when conditions permit on the street, have not been able to experience it myself.

Car is a 924S Special Edition, with the M030 suspension, stiffer springs, bigger sway bars. Original Konis in front, replacement Konis in back, Yokohoma Advan Fleva summer performance tires, rear suspension lowered to match front ride height per articles on this site.

It was glorious, the car had great stick, when it came unstuck the rear came out gently or even a little four wheel drift. The last corner coming to the finish/timer was a tight, negative banked right hander that I could easily finish consistently by hanging the rear out and pointing the car at the gates.

I have always read about the great handling and balance of the cars, was great to experience it first hand.

How did I do?, back of the pack against Miatas and Sprites running full or DOT legal competition tires, but great fun.

How to make a 924 look big...
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you shared the experience, AutoX is very very driver dependent, so with some more training you should be able to get the speed up, i guess its not the last time Even though having fun is much more important than any numbers.. . Pushing the car to the limits is so much fun, especially if the car is balanced and enjoyable. With some stickier tyres and more negative camber you would probably have a much faster car if you would want some day.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very jealous..
I want so much!
TJC  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The addiction starts!!!
I love your line about making the 924 look big!!!
Have fun.
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Glemon  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done quite a bit of autocross, just not in this car, including my TR250, as well as prior cars including an Austin Healey 100, MGB, 81 924, BMW 2002, and SAAB Sonett (FWD handling at the limit is a strange and mysterious beast).

My experience hasn't made me fast, just less slow. It is still great fun. Compared most of the above, the 924 is a "big" car, in fact the car basically holds me in place in my TR250, very narrow cockpit, the 924 I was floating around a bit until I got used to it. Could benefit from a more bolstered seat or full four point harness.

I had my old 924 aligned to the specs found in the handling article on this site, I am sure the current car could benefit from this as well.

Suspension and drivetrain felt very tight, car very planted throughout, no nasty noises or clunks at the limit.
safe  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a capable car for what it is, similar power and age.

I'm going for may second event next weekend, but in my 911 -69.
I usually compete against either Porsches 30-40-50 years newer than mine or some 500 hp Super 7 etc....

Its fun anyhow!
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Glemon  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus, would love to Auto-x with an early 911, modern cars with sticky rubber you muscle around the curves, old cars on skinny tires you slide and dance!
safe  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glemon wrote:
Magnus, would love to Auto-x with an early 911, modern cars with sticky rubber you muscle around the curves, old cars on skinny tires you slide and dance!

It actually has quite wide and sticky tires (235+295 Nankang AR-1), but is slides and dances anyway!

The last event I was to we drove the course following the leader at a moderate tempo (which I'm not accustomed to, usually we walk the track and then full attack) and I hit several cones with my inner rear wheel driving my intended line.
I didn't figure it out right away but it is of cause the result of the slower speed, at full speed the rear drifts away from the cones so I don't hit them.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: