Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

So ya wanna build a racecar... SCCA HP anyone???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: So ya wanna build a racecar... SCCA HP anyone??? Reply with quote

Just a heads-up FYI: Hayes has spearheaded the successful effort to get the 924 classed in H Production for SCCA racing, the rule change is effective 5/1/21. The 924 will join its ITB buddies, the Golf 2 (already there) and Golf 3 and Volvo 142 (new additions) with the typical crop of small British cars (Midgets, Spitfires etc) and a handful of the Civics in HP.

Important note, for those not well-familiar with SCCA rules: this classification specifies a limited prep level, with more restrictions than what's considered a full prep effort (which characterizes most of the cars already in the class). Hayes can give more details, since he's more up on the Prod rules than I am, but key points are limitation to 11:1 compression ratio and 0.425" lift, 2400# min weight, and other more esoteric details. These are not D Prod 924s; they're more like ITB cars with slightly more pissed-off motors and some lexan and fiberglass.

Key positive points - we get to keep the stock M471 brakes (a major sticking point in years past, for me at least) and also stock fuel tank, as long as you keep the stock rear bumper.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayes and I have been talking about the plus and minus of the new classification. SCCA moved the F prod 924 down to H but cut more compression and reduced cam lift.
I worked with a major engine builder a few years back while pondering an F prod effort. Even with the higher lift and compression, the most we calculated the engine would produce (legally) was 165 HP at the crank. Other F prod cars were getting 175 at the rear wheels and had quite a bit less frontal area and weight. This H prod version would pay an HP penalty that doesn't say front of the pack.
Porsche doesn't provide sponsorship to SCCA unlike other car manufacturers whose cars are winning. Just saying....
It's a way to run SCCA Majors if that's your goal but you stand a better chance in a different tub.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5 gets iffy treatment from SCCA as well. Not very competitive in ITS, and E-prod is 'spensive.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru dat. I raced a 2.4 911 and a 2.6 Benz in ITS and always beat the 944s.
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! Sorry its been a long time since I've been on here. Had a lot going on. Still been racing, but started to get into Champcar (in a 924S platform). I made a few modifications to the ITB car that placed it out of ITB and into our regional ITE - but that was just so I could continue to race in that car. No points or anything. I had thought about the F-prod mods, but really can't legitimize the full expense for the car. Now H-prod is doable! I'll re-run through the rules to see what is allowable, but she should fit in there.

Any one else going to be racing in the H-Prod on the East Coast? I imagine Hayes of course.

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to come around a bit more and putting my "SCCA is always biased against Porsche" feelings on hold for the moment. Hayes said that crank fire is legal and the whole megasquirt option sounds interesting. We all know the NA doesn't breath well at higher revs (where the lift helps) so maybe the cam restrictions aren't so bad. The brakes are a big advantage and since the car is a porker it would be hard to get it much below 2400 lbs.
Geez...listen to me....I probably have a tub or two squirreled away....hmm....
NO, DAMMIT CHUCK, WAKE UP
But then......
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian89C4 wrote:
Hey guys! Sorry its been a long time since I've been on here. Had a lot going on. Still been racing, but started to get into Champcar (in a 924S platform). I made a few modifications to the ITB car that placed it out of ITB and into our regional ITE - but that was just so I could continue to race in that car. No points or anything. I had thought about the F-prod mods, but really can't legitimize the full expense for the car. Now H-prod is doable! I'll re-run through the rules to see what is allowable, but she should fit in there.

Any one else going to be racing in the H-Prod on the East Coast? I imagine Hayes of course.

Hey Ian,

We need pics of the new race car!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool to see some interest.

Was at Pitt Race this weekend, but our own (P2) car issues prevented us from paying much attention to other races... was a big HP turnout...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per request Sorry - don't mean to hijack the thread.

Nice avatar Chuck

$400 (running) 87 924S found in Charlotte. Guy had completely butchered the back quarter panels trying to do a GT conversion. Could stick your hand all the way up to the glass. No front fenders, valence or bumper...so had some work to do.

Pure stock - only thing racey on it are poly bushings all around and some good Hankook RS4s - oh and Hawk pads.

Wing was made by my buddy as a bit of camp for Lemons (first race we ran with it last year), but ended up being functional so we had to put the front splitter on there. A bit more drag but she's competitive for the most part in her class (B in lemons and C in Champ).

Just a fun car - and happy we can give her a chance to die with her boots on versus going to scrap which was where she was headed.

First test day:

14 hours of Charlotte a few weekends ago...rain soaked!!

And in car of the rain soaked race....The conditions worsened very quickly and stayed that way - have never raced in anything like that before. Very good practice though. I'm the last driver out the four.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYDecUyU7I&t=4s

Have a bit to go on the H prod with the red and white car, but I'll throw some pics up of that in a few weeks.

Cheers!

Current:
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the H prod car prep - I have swapped over to a Carb set-up on the car. The carbs are Keihin's off of a European ZR1 motorcycle - yup, read that right.

They are not specifically listed as "allowed" - not present in the list at all - do you think they would pitch much of a fit if I have them on the car?

Current:
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked and it specifically says "Fuel Injection". So, SCCA will definitely pitch a fit if you try to run carbs.
hayeslewis  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Racing in H-production, carbs et al. Reply with quote

Unfortunately showing up with carbs would cause a major fit. It's the kind of thing that would be obvious if someone just walked by in the paddock. And if that's not bad enough there's a whole bunch of H-Prod guys MGs and Triumphs pissed off about the 2L cars allowed in H-Prod waiting to make a stink.

I think you could get 75% of what you paid for the carb set up pretty quickly.

On the bright side much of the reason I've fought for this since 2015 is that I want to race on all the great tracks and have folks to race with, not have an expensive track day where you go home with a 1st place participation trophy. Outside of DC region and a few Volvos in upstate NY there's very little ITB left nationally. I'm betting that's much of the reason you moved on from ITB. So the investment in being HP compliant might be well worth your time and money.

I'm currently knee deep in research and development. Working with a couple sources on the right cam, likely high duration with a modest LSA. Also sourcing light weight lifters, looking for lighter springs, etc. If you're interested let me know. The cost of any of this stuff will likely drop with more participants.
2007 Armada
2013 Hyundai Elantra
1972 MG Midget Vintage project
Unstable electrified three wheeled Bicycle truck
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hayes, I replied to your PM.

Still considering it.

Current:
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: