Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Urban Rally Car. "Rough Life" Wilson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wired up the oil pressure & coolant to instrument cluster. Verified oil pressure is strong. Needed to know that it was good because there was squealing when engine was running but I think the alt belt is just too loose. Its really quite a thrill for me to be able to start this engine. [/img]
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not a whole lot don't this week. Yesterday I fabbed a (ugly!) throttle cable mount (using NA cable/Ford 5.0ltr TB/951 intake manifold). The angle of the cable has to come from down low for the for cam and as a result the pedal was sluggish. Installed a NA throttle body return spring & what a difference. Its snappy now!
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rauh enough?
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAUH means "Rough" in German.
So the last 2 weeks have been slow progression. Mostly wiring. Took aftermarket relay and fuse panel & brought them into the cab.
I find as much as I love wiring, I also get confused or overwhelmed by the multitude of things going on, but I think I'm on the right path.
Couple things: SDS EFI doesn't loose the programming as long as you save the info (it's stored in the ECU even without 12 v source) so that's nice.
Reconsidering the Wing and the hatch latches. Its a bit of a hot mess & I think I will go back to a 944 spoiler & different hold downs.
Mine isn't sealing & the wing is too flexible & sketchy. When can I drive this car? Well I just re-reregistered it & it's insured for the road, but I still have some loose ends before I take it around the block.
Once its running again this week I will have to electronically adjust the timing using a timing light.
Above: my log exhaust manifold. One of my biggest fears is that it will fail. I wish I made it out of thicker material. But maybe it's all in my head, time
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this air filter pipe create enough vacuum?
One of the most mentally exhausting exercises for me on this entire project is the air management. It seems whenever I find a solution for one area it creates a problem in another area.
"Air management" considerations: emissions and gas tank venting, crankcase ventilation, brake booster vacuum, map sensors and other diaphragm type engine regulating items. It would help if I had a better understanding of the theory.

Anyway, in this pic I "Teed'' into the intake (non boosted) air filter pipe.
One hose goes to the brake booster & OAS as a method of vacuum. The other is merely a source of clean air for a 12 v air solenoid that will feed the intake manifold more air when engine management requires it at idle.

Is this going to work?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a working airfilter and no kind of obtrusive air flap there wont be much pressure there, maybe -50 mbar below ambient. And at low boost/airflows much less.

BTW, shouldnt this thread move out of "body and interior" ?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:

Anyway, in this pic I "Teed'' into the intake (non boosted) air filter pipe.
One hose goes to the brake booster & OAS as a method of vacuum. The other is merely a source of clean air for a 12 v air solenoid that will feed the intake manifold more air when engine management requires it at idle.

Is this going to work?

The brake booster needs manifold vacuum and a check valve..
The vac line needs to com from downstream of the TB..

Your crank vent and emissions vent need to go in the air filter side of your turbo like you have ther.. They don't really need vacuum and can't see boost..

I'm pretty sure your idle air valve just needs to jump the TB.. Think of it as a TB bypass.
It needs to go from somewhere between your turbo and TB, and after the turbo. Boost on both sides but vac on only one side.

If you put your idle air valve on the air filter side where their is no boost then if the valve is open at all under boost it will blow your boost back to the wrong side of the turbo..

Also, idle valves are designed to work in a differential pressure of -1Bar toward the intake side. If you plumb it to a non boost area like before your filter then under boost it will see the OPPOSITE differential pressure of your boost level pushing the wrong way.
I have heard of idle valves not working well because of this..

It's pretty simple in that you only have 3 intake areas..
Pre-turbo = no boost, no real vacuum, clean air..
post-turbo pre-TB = boost and no real vacuum, where your BOV goes
post-TB = real vacuum and boost, where your real "vacuum sources" go including a boost/vac gauge and MAP sensor, brake booster, idle valve, BOV reference line etc..

AOS ah it came to me, air oil seperator..
One side comes from the crankcase, the bottom drains to the oil pan or just a catch can (idk what you have) and the intake side line would go pre-turbo there by your air filter.. Or you could just dump it to atmosphere and not eat all that oil vapor..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draw everything ya got on there and we can make it right.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric, absolutely I will follow your suggestion and move the thread.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast Eddie... I can't thank you enough brother. Your posts here REALLY HELPED.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: