Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Lake Mead National Scenic Byway

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Lake Mead National Scenic Byway Reply with quote

Back in 2004, when I picked up the 928 and drove it back from California, I selected a route that took us from Wrightwood CA to McPherson KS on nothing but 2-lane blacktop, most of it national scenic byways. One of the highlights of the trip was the Lake Mead National Scenic Byway, which includes Lakeshore Road (NV State Hwy 166) and Northshore Road (NV State Hwy 167). I would definitely include this road as one of the top ten I have ever driven.

Description
Lakeshore and Northshore Roads generally follow the shore line of Lake Mead, a manmade (but MASSIVE) lake formed by the Hoover Dam on the Colorado River. One of the really unique aspects of this road is not only the excessive twistiness, but also the fabulous hillclimbs and sudden drops that add texture and character to the 70+ miles of beautiful blacktop. While it is tempting to race across this beautiful roadway, care should be taken given the high number of picnic areas and potential pedestrian traffic. The tradeoff for slowing down is some of the most beautiful scenery to be found in the entire state of Nevada.

Points of Interest
The big attraction, of course, is Hoover Dam, which is just a few short miles from the beginning of Lakeshore Drive. Las Vegas is also very close by if you're into that sort of thing. Other interesting natural features in the area include the Valley of Fire State Park (at the north end of Northshore Road) and Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, which lies just to the west of Las Vegas. There are no amenities along the roadway, so you'll need to tank up and grab some grub before you set out in Boulder, or conversely upon your arrival in Logandale.

Directions
From the Strip in downtown Las Vegas, pick up Hwy 515/95/93 heading east toward Boulder City. Stay on 93 heading toward the Hoover Dam. You'll see the visitor center for the dam on the north side of 93, and it is here that Lakeshore Road begins. Follow Lakeshore north until it intersects with Northshore, and continue in a north-easterly direction. Northshore passes through Logandale, and eventually reconnects with I-15, where you can head back to Vegas, or continue west on I-15 for spectacular views of the Virgin River wilderness on the border of Nevada, Arizona and Utah.

Photos
Views to the north of Lake Mead

My eldest son & I with the SH4RK on the Arizona side of the Hoover Dam

Google Map

tom!  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great drive indeed, with super smooth roads compared to our Dutch asphalt. Pretty busy when I was there though, especially around Hoover Dam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cool Drives All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: