Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Is The Wrench Farking With Me? Where's my LSD?! *fuming*

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Is The Wrench Farking With Me? Where's my LSD?! *fuming* Reply with quote

Hello Gang,

Some Merc ran into my ass a few days back and I took my 931 to her garage to get the rear bumper resprayed...

Now I've only gotten my car a few days before that so I can't say I know it all that well... But I've 100% sure I've got an LSD inside. How can I confirm? I've done numerous short launches at the local car lot and I see 2 strips of tire thread, not one and I've got the car on a lift before and when I spin one wheel, the other turns in the same direction.

But today when I visited the shop to see progress, when ask them to lift the car to see the underside, I happened to 'move' the tires and I noticed the wheels don't spin like they do. For a start, when I move one wheel, the other is quite reluctant to move and upon 'hard' spinning (with hand, of coz) the other wheel moves in OPPOSITE direction, NOT same.

What's happened? Where did my LSD go? I looked at the tranny and it sure looks like mine (snailshell) and the allen bolts on the CV joints don't look that like they have been touched (lotsa dirt). I don't see what they have to gain to swap out my tranny....

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Sprint.
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you never had one. No one is stealing 924 parts; personally I would rather dig coke cans out of the trash. It is more lucrative.
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

81turbo wrote:
It looks like you never had one. No one is stealing 924 parts; personally I would rather dig coke cans out of the trash. It is more lucrative.

Hi 81Turbo!

Never had one? Then how did I get 2 lines all those 6 or so launches I did and when it was first on a lift, the wheels did turn in the SAME directions!

It's only when I visited today that I found things different....

The rest of the gang, any thoughts?

Sprint.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the vin # of the tranny, it is possible that someone welded the gears in the diff together, and that weld broke *shudder* but if it only turns the other way on hard spinning I would detect a problem, as they should spin fairly freely
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's possible for both wheels to go the same way with a non-lsd if you had the transmission in neutral that first time it was on the lift. (If there was less drag in the transmission than in the differential, both wheels would have spun the same way.) A better test would have been to have someone on the other side holding the other wheel. Put it up again and with it in neutral try turning a wheel again. I suspect you'll find you can get them both spinning the same way. As for the peel-out test, I'm not sure how reliable that is, but I really don't know.
Try to find the serial number on your transaxle. We should be able to determine if it originally had an lsd or not.

Option code "220" indicates an lsd: http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq05.html
Look for option codes in the spare tire well.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
81turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say you never had it. If you wern't 100% sure that you had one and from your "scientific" tests, I have to say that you were not. You have nothing to be upset about. It sounds like your car, like mine can spin both tires when you drop the clutch, big deal. The LSD was a very rare option.
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the SN of the gearbox. It's been posted here somewhere before, that the SN will have "12" as the 10th and 11th digits (PET CD confirms this, too). G31 series boxes without the LSD will have a SN that is only 9 digits/characters long.
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMXXXI wrote:
Check the SN of the gearbox. It's been posted here somewhere before, that the SN will have "12" as the 10th and 11th digits (PET CD confirms this, too). G31 series boxes without the LSD will have a SN that is only 9 digits/characters long.

I'll check the serial numbers. Where is it located? Left or right side of the tranny? I did notice a Porsche word at the bottom of it on the right side.

Sprint.
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SN is stamped on the central "rib" that runs the length of the gearbox on the bottom side. It's on the section right about where you would put a jack on it to raise the rear end of the car. The numbers aren't stamped in very deeply, so you may need to scrub things pretty good and examine it closely.
-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the numbers are only a couple mm tall and aren't very easy to see. Look at the rib on the differential case- i.e. if you jack up the rear and slide your head under the trans where the axles come out, you'll be staring directly at it.

-nick
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the two rubber strip theory before, but after checking a car that supposedly had a LSD from that observation, well it didn't.

In neutral if you spin one wheel, the other will go in the same direction is the test, but after some research I found that isn't conclusive due to wear or something in the diff and the only real test is tear down or a serial number/model check.

I have a lsd tranny and while in neutral both wheels turn the in the same direction and the numbers on the case indicate via the PET that it is a LSD.

I'll have to still check the other lsd trans I have to see if it behaves the same

Vaughn might be able to tell us technically why a non lsd will appear to lock up.

One thing is that I would bet one tire mark is longer and darker in the non lsd and lsd will have two even marks, just a question.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
J1NX3D  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any help for you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: