Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Brake Pads?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt EZ  

Location: Slidell, Louisiana (east on I-10 from New Orleans) 70458

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Brake Pads? Reply with quote

I am getting ready to start shopping parts for a brake job and want to know what are the best pads for a daily driver as far as what ones gove the best compromise of performance vs. wear, dust, squeel, cold performance ect. I am not looking to throw myself through the windscreen or to make it uncomfortable for a "passenger" but, I do want a pad thet grabs when I am alone.....kinda that stage between track and street / daily?

I plan on doing the front with new rotors, also. Are drill or slotted rotors reccommended? What are ya'll's opinion on gas slotted rotors? What bearings have held up? Has anyone painted thier calibers during a rebuild and what is the best method of doing so?

Being that this is a daily driver, I like to have all parts on hand for the job on the weekends so that it can be comploeted for Monday morning...any opinions?

Also, rears are next, should I try the rear bearings? I heard that they are labor / tool intensive>

Fly Fast
Live Slow
Margaritaville Airways
1987 924S
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, stick with the stock rotors, the slotted and drilled ones are hype and don't last as long.
Capt EZ  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, I never have a problem with saving money....any ideas on pads?

Fly Fast
Live Slow
Margaritaville Airways
1987 924S
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very fond of the PBR (nee Axxis) Metal Master pads for street use, though they can be noisy if used w/out disc brake goo. They can be a little weak when cold, but one stop will fix that. Paragon sells them, I think they're around $50/axle.

No need, IMO, for slotted rotors.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for stock rotors and Ferodo pads. work REALLY well for me.
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any pad recommendations, but I'd suggest blasting and powdercoating your calipers. Weren't you (recently) playing with the idea of getting your wheels re-done too? Take everything at once and you probably will get a lower rate than two separate jobs. Color guaranteed to match too if thats what you want.

During this "restoration" project I'm in the midst of, I cleaned all my calipers up real good, rebuilt (a piece of cake) and then painted them. But, when I bled them the first time, drips of the brake fluid onto the new paint discolored them, and plain ate it away in one spot.

Last week I bought two used front calipers, hubs AND rotors off e-Bay for a whopping total of $51 delivered. I'm going to have the calipers blasted and powdercoated, then have the discs turned and I'll be all set (once I get the car running).
Capt EZ  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thsoe were the same concers that I had about brake fluid. However i saw a caliber paint in one of the catelogs that I have to look into to see if it will inhibit the corrosion. I have been considering the powder coating both for the wheels and other parts and have gotten some feed back from several shops that they don't fool with wheels.... so, we'll see. Thanks for the feedback.

Fly Fast
Live Slow
Margaritaville Airways
1987 924S
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refurbishing and powdercoating the new/used calipers isn't going to happen this month or next, but I'll post back to let you know how they turn out. My limited experience & exposure with the process suggests to me that the coating will be impervious to the fluid. I'd be interested to know how the "caliper paint" holds up over time. Certainly the manufacturers and aftermarket folks use something that holds up pretty well. But when it comes down to it, I think that the preparation of the part will make all the difference.
Capt EZ  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the prep work. I think I may try to find a set of calibers out there to have ready to go for the job.
Also, for the wheels, I think I may go to the 16x7 and 16x8 on the next set of tires so I am starting to look for a set of phone dials. anyway, I think if i have the wheels powdercoated, I am going to have the inside done in black and the exterior done in the closest to original as I can. I think the black would give the rim a nice set off and it would definitely be easier to keep clean - looking between details. As for the calibers, I like the red, but IMO I don't want to look like a wannabe Brembo, but they do stand out and I haven't ruled that out. I think matching them to the rim or black would look good also. I saw somewhere on the board that someone made "Porsche" stencils and applied the lettering like the 944 has to the calibers. It looked great. So, I have a few ideas that i am playing with now. Just undecided.

Fly Fast
Live Slow
Margaritaville Airways
1987 924S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: