Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

head removal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look like mine? What year is your car? I think if thats the orginal parts on your car then mine might have been replced with different hardware. an 8mm allen head bolt and a 12pt aviation bolt and thats the two top bolts I still can't see the the third bolt on the bottom.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think that you're messing with the middle turbo mounting bolts. There are 2 of them and they're socket head (Allen) bolts. Is this possible - that you're on the wrong bolts? One of them is visible at lower-right of Paul's photo.

Where you should be - at the manifold-to-turbo should be studs and nuts as shown in the photo. There are 3 of them spaced evenly around the joint.

'82 924T, US version, dark green metallic, 5 speed Audi 016G gearbox
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at [url=http://photos.msn.com/viewing/photo.aspx?GXjoJRPv*Lq8VA9E0sByrKOS3zy2BjeUuw5NU3ajFed!J6STHs8Et8fKEBAQIPGYAf59vU!fM1pOF8noT7EcZkJeKzJocV8xEdpbMhK0MO5sNGyN*HBBDQ$$]<my manifold>[/url]. It has 12 pt. bolts. The parts list says studs. Anyway, you probably have a mix of OE and aftermarket fasteners there. The one you can't see, you may never see until it's removed - might just be one of those you have to feel around for.

924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pitcure you just showed me is the right bolts but one of mine is a allen head bolt. I got the 12pt bolt out but the allen head bolt is giving me problem. Thanks for your help.
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to the head removal, The allen head bolt broke, :evil:only showed about 3 threads. Now what, what do I do now??? How do you get the head off?? Do I have to remove the turbo in order to remove the head?? The car sat for 8 yrs and everything is rusted on. I don't know if it is worth it right now This is turning into a nightmare. This was the wrong bolt on the exhaust manifold that's why I think it broke. The fuel line are also fused on top of the injectors. I been spraying on break free for the last 6 days, I don"t know what to do now. Helpppppppppppppppp
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have to get the third manifold-to-turbo fastener from below, right? Remove that and remove the head, then you'll have some more room to deal with the broken bolt. Should be able to loosen the injector lines by using 2 wrenches. If not, remove the other ends of the lines from the fuel distributor. Hopefully there'll be enough of the broken bolt sticking out that you can get a visegrip on it. Otherwise, you might have to remove the turbo. Grasshoppa, it's just wrench turning. Find your inner peace and remain calm... Have a brew and take the rest of the night off.

-nick  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the stud/nut combination on the '80. i'm having trouble getting the lower nut off in your picture. the other two were surprisingly manageable. there's absolutely no room for a socket or closed end wrench on that lower one though. i'm going to try a claw-foot next, i'd love to hear any tips.

best of luck with your broken bolt, we've all been there.

-nick
wdb  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you considered, removing the engine mount bolts on 1 or the other side, then putting a jack under the oil pan and gently lifting the engine a bit to gain a little clearance . you should be able to lift the engine 2-3 inches , or remove both engine mounts and drop the engine as much as possible .
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I did have myself a BIG drink after that bolt snap in half. Question, the does the turbo have the threads in it and if so I should be able to slide the head off with the broken bolt in it. I think the third bolt is missing I can see a stud under there with no nut on it. HUMMMMM maybe somebody got it off and couldn't get it back on, Thats why the other two were so tight.
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - should be able to remove the head+manifold with studs and/or broken bolts in place.

Nick - I had to remove that lower one years ago. Can't remember exactly how I did it, but it was either by socket wrench or combo wrench, so if a socket won't fit, I must have used a combo wrench.

-nick  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's not really any room for a combo wrench either. i'll have the tranny/torque tube pulled out from the clutch pretty soon. then i'm going to take the engine off the mounts and move it around until i can get something on that nut. the problem is that one side of it sits right next to the manifold and there's no space between to get anything on it. you would have to put an open ended wrench on it, but you couldn't do that either because of the wheel well! so i need to manuever the engine so that i can get around the wheel well.

if this nut had a spacer under it to bring it up away from the manifold to get a socket on it, i wouldn't have a problem. that's likely what i'll do when i put it back together, along with a slightly longer stud.

i'd be pissed if i were just removing the turbo and not pulling everything else out anyway!

-nick
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.thepartsbin.com/
for inexspensive parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
john h  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get the hea doff you'll still need to removethe turbo, or at least slacken the bolts holding the turbo to the block. If you don't do this you will never get a good gas tight seal on the manifold to turbo joint.

As for the bolts holding theh turbo to the manifold whenever I've removed the turbo I've put new type 316 stainless steel bolts back. Under the heads I use a spacer made out of the spacer they use on seat belts. This brings the head up high enough so you can get a socket on it. If you don't have the spacer there is not enough clearance between the side of the bolt and the manifold to get a socket in to tighten the bolts up.
The star or 12 sided bolt is a genuine factory bolt and they cost an arm and a leg to buy. Hence the reason I use stainless - satinless bolts cost about $3.00 each in New Zealand versus the $75 for the Porsche bolt made out of unobtainium - hence the high price.

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pull the motor at this point...
924ttrouble  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't gotten the head off as of yet!!! That's one of those things when you are Married, spending to much time on that car if you know what I mean! Still working on it. Oh got the cam off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: