Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Relocating Battery

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: ricomartinez@yahoo.com
Date: 03 Jun 2001
Time: 23:37:37

While repairing my battery box, I had an idea. Well, first, right now it looks much like swiss cheese after I have removed the previous owners repair job. It had fiberglass, metal patches, and all covered in some asphalt/rubber sealant. Whoever said that when 'glassing you have to be weary of water getting between the layers was right. The previous repair just made it easy for more rust to occur by allowing for water to seep and sit. I'm going to repair it with this new rust stopper/inhibitor paint that is all the rage with restorers. It's called POR-15. Just paint it on. You can even put paint fiberglass matte in to strengthen, which I need of course.

Which brings me to my question. I was thinking that even after I repair this thing, it may not be all that strong for the 30+ lbs and acid of a battery. So, I was thinking about relocating my battery to the hatch area. Has anyone done this? How'd it work? I was thinking about the spare tire space since I don't have one right now. PO didn't get a 5-bolt spare after converting?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: wdeblaker@hot.rr.com
Date: 04 Jun 2001
Time: 06:02:02

I have not done that but I think there might be a problem,batteries emit hydrodren gas during charging as well as acid vapors,which make the area around the battery corrosive as your box condition will tell you,and on occasion when they short circuit a small spark inside ignites the hydrogen and they literally explode blowing there tops and spraying acid on everything aroud them.granted this is relativaly rare but the possibility of hydrogen gas building up in the closed passenger compartment could lead to a trip to the local glass shop VIA an audiologist but not before a quick shower. I dont think it would be to expensive to have a sheet metal box fabricated that is sealed on top with a door that opens under the bumper, cut out wheel well and tack the new box in its place

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: http://www.loghomesontario.com
Time: 07:06:19

I like the idea of the battery replacing the spare in the rear well . Just drill vent holes and put a light plywood
cover over but the cables might be long and heavy to prevent voltage drop and where would you actually
ground. What I don't like is now you've stolen my beer cooler. dwak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 07:45:30

yah gotta look on the bright side this way you have a place to warm a samich or keep your coffee hot on your way to work

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 08:11:10

that is what the space to the right of the drivers seat is for,why do you think they put a seat belt there, to protect your valueable's otherwise you have to tell someone hey its gas grass or ars nobody rides for free now get in sit down hold on and shut up cause I drive it like I stole it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: ricomartinez@yahoo.com
Time: 15:19:56

I've seen plastic (I think sealed) for relocation to trunks. I'd probably go that route if not too expensive. Yeah, I don't know about the cables. Probably heavy. Especially if I have to run the ground the length of the car. Maybe I out to get one of the batteries like in this webpage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8255/battery.html

I thought about this when I bought the car and it needed a new battery. But, the rx7 requires a lot less CCA than the 924 and I wasn't willing to find out how well it would work for the cost. Cool though. Completely sealed (no acid), and less weight for less stress on the battery box.

I was asking about relocating the battery just in case someone already did this so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: jod3511@home.com
Date: 05 Jun 2001
Time: 01:00:06

Ive also had to repair my battery box as the water came inside whenever it rained thia last winter.. Im reokaces the carpet this spring and relocating my ... BATTERY back where the rear seat used to be in its own box you can see these in a summitt racing cat. or tweeks and the cables sold by the foot. Fues havent thought about them...?
http://porsche924.homestead.com/files/spring_day_924.9.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: dgeades@fotosoft.co.uk
Date: 06 Jun 2001
Time: 14:38:32

Just a thought but all of 7-series BMWs and a fair number of 5-series models (in the UK anyway)have the battery fitted under the rear seat, i.e., in the passenger compartment. Maybe I'm missing something but these batteries don't seem to be anything special....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: david.c.russell@lmco.com
Date: 08 Jun 2001
Time: 17:31:54

Didn't the original VW Bugs have the battery under the back seat?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: