Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rotors....Slotted, Cross-drilled or stock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnut 280  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Rotors....Slotted, Cross-drilled or stock? Reply with quote

Hi everybody. now that we have the 924 on the road again, we are contemplating a brake upgrade. since we just bought a new set of 15" phone dials, we are thinkin that Turbo brakes are outa the question. So, then we considered new rotors, and thought that it's a marvelous idea. so, here is our dilemma. are there rotors to fit in a 15" wheel in slotted or cross-drilled?

Also, I've heard that Cross-drilled aren't worth the money, as they have a tendancey to crack. I remember reading it on a thread on this forum, but I don't remember where.

So, of your recommendations, are Cross-driled, stock, or slotted best for a street/track combination? Thanks
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for slotted rotors. Thats what I what to put in someday!
AznDrgn  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a post about this a while back and it seems the concensus was for slotted. Crossdrilling reduced the friction area, didn't really help cooling much and supposedly was actually worse for braking.

-'83 Callaway 944 2.5L turbo, 300HP, 1 of 42 ever made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock are fine, work well enough on my racecar. Never ran out of brakes. Just get some new pads, like Metal Masters. And put on some stainless braid hoses, flush and bleed w/ fresh fluid.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for stock!
-nick  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone,
i think i'm going to check out slotted rotors when mine are up for replacing. a few months ago i had to squeeze on the brakes hard during a rainstorm on the highway and they took a second to dry up before they started clamping down. i think that sort of situation is the only reason to use slotted or cross drilled. it's enough of a reason for me to check them out. the brakes took long enough for me to wonder if they were going to clamp down at all.

-nick
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have slotted rotors on the turbo. I think they are very good and stock faster than it did. Now I am thinking that maybe I just needed new rotors and they may have been the same as the slotted. Who knows. I bought mine for 80 dollars which may or may not be a good deal for two.

The track car 77 924 always used stock rotors and drums and I never had a problem. According to Jim Pasha you should change rotors as often as once every two sets of pads. Measure the rotors before you trash them. The 5 bolt system from the 944 go in within the week or two.

Vince
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: