Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Lexan hatches and windows cheap!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Lexan hatches and windows cheap!!! Reply with quote

Major thanks to Dave Derecola at the 944Cup for hunting these guys down. He's located the source in PA where these are produced. I spent some time talking with the source (also named Dave) at Dave's Auto Parts & Service in PA; turns out they have a nearby small aircraft supply company making the things. This is the direct source. They are making all the glass replacements for the 924/944. The windshield is available for $300, the hatch "glass" for $325. They also have lexan side windows (both rear and door glass) available, though I didn't get prices. The rear window can be bought with molded-in NACA ducts, if desired. Windows can be made tinted, if desired.

The aero company (LP Aero, IIRC) has been doing auto lexan since the (original) GT40. The parts ship directly from the manufacturer, but for the most part are truck shipment, so the schedule is a little open - more so if they need to be made first, they've been selling a lot recently! So, call to find out about shipping costs and times.

Call Dave's Auto Parts & Service in Pa. at 412-351-0725, and ask for Dave.

I just put in for mine.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is actually lexan that they're using? Just wondering about the low scratch resistance of polycarbonate.

Checking a copy of the Aircraft Spruce catalog all their aircraft windshields and canopies are made from acrylic.

Don't forget to take some pics when yours arrives so we can all drool.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd thought it was lexan... will be sure to take pics; I've got a new digital camera on the way for Christmas, so that will no longer be a problem!
'82 931 Plat. Silver
944 Cup  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn:

The prices you quoted above should be with tint included. W/O tint $285 and $300 for rear. If Dave quoted you those higher prices above w/o tint, let me know and I'll get it straighten out.

Scratches are something u need to manage. The problem arises only when u use the wipers, particularly without wiper fluid. With the mud slinging going on up at BeavRun this past fall, my son had the need to hit the wipers w/o fluid, as he had zero visibility due to mud from an off road excursion by a competitor. yes, some hefty scratches occurred. still had decent visibility after a washing. however with just one application of the scratch removable product made by Mequairs, the problem was minimized.

We originally installed the lexan because we were tried of replacing cracked windshields caused by stones brought back on the track when cars go off into the gravel pits.

DD
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no, those prices were quoted as general list price, not racer net. Sometimes it doesn't suck to be a racer...

I just wanted to post the info for anyone not racing but interested in the parts anyway...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
944 Cup  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vaughn for the clarifcation.

DD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: