Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Lightweight Hatch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eturbo924  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these a reality yet? If so what is the cost for a hatch?

Eric
E-mail me for parts you need!
Drive Fast!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippers? What the heck are you talking about now, Vince???

My lexan piece is in Detroit, waiting for me to return home to receive it... So yes, I'd say they're a reality. I think I already posted the price in this or another relevant thread.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Eturbo924  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it the $600 or the $300 that some one else posted?
Drive Fast!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $600 hatch is from GT-Racing, this hatch is $325. Unfortunately I didn't specify shipping method, so they sent it air freight COD! DOH!

Oh well, it's still cheaper than GT Racing!
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does lexan headlight covers or flippers sound. Usually $175 a pair. Also found a guy today that if we get 5 of us for either doors or engine hoods he will make them up in fiberglass real cheap. Hood around 125 ea and doors unknown as of today.

More later.
Eturbo924  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

325 for the hatch. That is not bad. Let me know how it comes out. Vince how much for a FG hood?

Eric
Drive Fast!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested in a cheap lightweight glass door. Current only option is GT Racing, which is $350 for a pair of skins, but then another $120 for their stupid aluminum hinges.
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
positivesale  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just take the hatch off, and make a separate compartment for the trunk.. closed off or zippered?

Why not just make up a simple cloth hatch like on a convertible?
Safety you say? what about rusty cars that are lighter than new cars? lots of rusty cars drive around and no one really thinks about the car being more unsafe, right??

I have personally driven my car around without a hatch. It's not the brightest looking car on the road, but the car can be used to move furniture. Of course with a separate compartment, you'd stop the exhaust fumes (like an el camino). However, convertibles.. how do convertibles deal with exhaust I wonder?

For those worried about safety, think about a motorbike. What's safer.. driving a 924 without a hatch, or driving a motorbike? Lots of people drive motorbikes. Now as for the car looking stupid - either you are in this for going fast, or you are in it to look sexy. I am 99 percent sure that all of you reading this will be too scared to ditch the hatch, because "you really are worried about looks, ,you're driving this car around because of looks". If you think deeply, you'll realize that yes it would just be easier to buy a motorbike then, but there are some limits and advantages of a hot rod car still .. like two seats and space to carry all your shit in the back like an el camino. No motorbike can do this. Plus it's safer than a motorbike, so whats the problem.. if we are ALL cheap owning these cars then just rip that hatch right off and sell it after you build something for your el conversion. But I'm 99 percent sure we're all just talkers and we're more worried about looks. ANd if you are worried about safety, even though I've already explained how a motorbike works (read: fall off, kill yourself) - you could still stick a bar in there (like a roll cage) for strength.

You could replace the bumpers with plastic ones too. It all depends on how close you want to come to riding a motorbike, before you just give up and buy a motorbike or decide that you're really only interested in talking about weight savings, not actually making those weight savings.

The hood is something that probably couldn't be replaced with anything much lighter because of engine heat melting it etc.

If porsche was seriously considering aerodynamics (personally I think it was a bunch of hype and salespitch- but that's cool too) I think that the porsche logo on the front of the car should be removed, and the door handles too... and of course the windsheild trim, side window trim, etc. Every little bit counts. OR was it just sales pitch and nice advertisements.. and the fact that the car looked cool. There are certain limits, where one has to really wonder.

Hell, considering that motorbikes are riding around the streets.. you really have to wonder about aerodynamics and how much they really do matter? I mean if you chopped off the fenders and drove around like that, wouldn't that still be safer than a motorbike? I'm obviously exaggerating here.. but I'm dead serious.. what's so safe about motorbikes?? why are we so concerned about safety?

The pop up lights on the 924, why not just stick the lights UP all the time, ,and remove all the pop ups? forget about the money spent on GT conversions.. do you really think the aerodynamics matter that much ..just pop the headlights up permantly, and weld them in position. Cheap and you don't waste money. Also, think about it.. you drive around at night time with your lights up anyway -do aerodynamics really matter that much.. do you honestly notice a difference in the way " the car handles at highway speeds with the lights popped up"?

Of course I know I'll get flamed for my opinions on some of my thoughts. But I'm seriously considering permanently popping up my headlights, as I could really care less about my aerodynamics at 300km/h (since my car doesn't go that fast anyway ). Less maintenance, no motors to fail (yes, stones could hit the lights during the day.. but so do they on the 80s 911s!)I think these cars look cool with the lights popped up anyway, rather than the wedge. Don't tell me about stones and protecing dirt from them, or the car wash BS sales pitch. That's like saying we should drive our cars around with tarps on them to protect the paint. Or that the regular 911 should have had pop ups. Again, there are certain limits where one has to wonder. Cheap simple modifications are usually critisized, but I think we're all just so worried about our looks or "if that would be normal or OK to do according to others".."I'm worried that the 924org police will ban me from the road if i just pop up my headlights permanantly instead of spending 800 dollars on a gt light conversion."

Of course there's probably some rules in the racing about what you can do to the body before it becomes illegal in the racing rule and lawbook, but I'm guessing 99 percent of the people on the board aren't really racing anyway - and you could easily throw the original hatch on, ,bumper on, lights on, etc. if the rules of the racec required all stock anyway.
-nick  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something comes to mind here... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

please just buy an el camino and stop destroying a perfectly fine car. you'd have the power and the trunk space you're so desparately looking for.

-nick
AppleBit  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, believe it or not... I didn't go for light weight, but check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2417191255&category=33632&rd=1

Yes, Sorry to all those I bid against... I just have wanted one of these for a while

- Jon
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats so so silly you want the glass on there if ya cant get a light weight hatch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using that platic window material that they use for jeep wrangler's and for convertable windows? You can probable put that in a hatch frame somehow and that will be very light. There won't be a wiper spoiler or struts though. You would have to somehow reinforce it but i think it is doable.
Bae turbo kit
to check out my 944 S2 http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=388139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kaffine  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unforutantly your idea about the Porsche elcamino has already been done.

http://www.flat-6.net/view.php?model=928&sel=928+GTS+Truck&tab=oview

If I wasn't concerned about safety I would drive a motorcycle. But there's something about flesh protecting metal that just seems backwards to me.

I think the best way to lower the weight of the car is to go on a diet. I can stand to loose more weight than what the hatch weights.

Or you could fill the tires with helium insted of air. Should help lower unspung weight too:)

Maybe we should just build the car and hire some really small skinny person to race it
78porsche924  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use hydrogen, even lighter then helium. But also don't blow a tire, or you will also blow up the car.
Bae turbo kit
to check out my 944 S2 http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=388139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

78Porsche924, your avitar is messed up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: