Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Valve noise
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredrikl  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Valve noise Reply with quote

Hello,

Some questions about valve noises:

1) When it's cold outisde (below 0 deg C, 32 deg F) the engine sounds very much like a diesel when started (especially under load). This noise disappears completely after 2-3 minutes of warming up.

2) When the "dieseling" stops, the engine sounds fine until throroughly hot after about 15 minutes. Then, the valves instead get a rough ticking, somehow slightly grinding noise. Very unsmooth and does not sound like incorrect valve clearances. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that the arrival of this noise is accompanied by a certain loss of engine power.

Oil pressure is fine, engine does not overheat, engine oil level OK (10W40, semi-synthetic). Oil consumption has been increasing a bit lately. The car has done 100K miles.

What is causing these noises and how can they be cured? All hints are appreciated.

Greetings,
Fredrik

Last edited by fredrikl on Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a 924 or 924S?
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
fredrikl  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: 924 Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. It's a 1982 924 NA, Euro spec.
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd adjust the valves just to rule them out and while you're in there, check the plastic elbow on the oiling tube, plus check the tube to make sure all holes are open. Inspect the cam lobes and buckets for wear.

This may not be a valve related noise. Drain your oil and look for metal, cut the oil filter open and look for metal.

Try to isolate the noise using your favorite method (hose, screwdriver, stethoscope, etc).

Good luck!
fredrikl  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: 924 Reply with quote

I adjusted the valves fairly recently and I am quite sure the clearances are OK. At that time, I also had a look at the plastic elbow, which looked OK. However, I guess it could be broken anyway or has broken since. I did not examine the tube any further at that time. I'll have a look at it.

How can you tell if the cam lobes are too worn? Can the camshaft be repaired in that case or does it have to be replaced?

What surprises me the most is that the noise does not appear until the engine is thoroughly hot.

Greetings,
Fredrik
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this just started out as a noise and power loss.
question..is the timing set correctly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What weight oil are using? The plastic elbow may not be cracked, but the oil tube holes may be blocked. What do the top of the followers look like (pitted, grooved, x patteren)?. Cam lobe wear is measured with a dial indicator and compared with stock figures. Remove the valve cover and turn the engine over by hand and observe the operation. Do you get the same valve clearances on each valve the same time after time or do they change. Build a splash guard out of sheet metal and start the engine with the valve cover off and watch for anything abnormal. Just some ideas, thinking aloud as it were.
fredrikl  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using 10W40 semi-synthetic oil. Ignition timing is correctly set at 10 degrees BTDC (Euro spec. car).

I really must remove the camshaft cover to inspect the camshaft, elbow and oil tube. I am fairly sure the noise is coming from that area and that it's not incorrect clearances.

By the way, what is the problem if the clearances vary each time I measure? How does that relate to the noise?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Fredrik
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could mean the tappets are sitting correctly causing them to jump around abit causing the noise
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it could be tensioner noise. as posted before try to locate the noise.
numbbers  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, how cold is it Sweden when you are starting the car?
Richard  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil sounds real good. I was thinking worn valve guides, weak or broken spring, valve seat recession or mushroomed valve stem tip. If a valve cocks a little in its seat, it could give different clearances. I'm still trying to fiqure out why the sound comes and goes and comes again.
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh...valve noise...that's what I thought...then the main bearing spun...imagine the look on my face...damn I was pissed.
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:

This may not be a valve related noise. Drain your oil and look for metal, cut the oil filter open and look for metal.

Try to isolate the noise using your favorite method (hose, screwdriver, stethoscope, etc).

Good luck!
fredrikl  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

Just to clarify, the noise doesn't come and go while driving. It just isn't there during the warm-up period, arrives after about 10-15 minutes and then stays once it has started.

Also, the noise does not seem to be related to just one or two valves, since it is very frequent and there seems to be a grinding "click" every time a valve is opened or closed.

At start-up (about 0 deg C or colder) the engine has a diesel-like sound, which is not similar to the noise that arrives when it is warmed up.

As I wrote earlier, the oil consumption has been rising a bit lately. However, oil pressure is fine and there is no blue smoke.

Bye for now,
Fredrik

Last edited by fredrikl on Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: