Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1978 Fuel Filter between Tank and Fuel Pump NLA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhariush  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: 1978 Fuel Filter between Tank and Fuel Pump NLA? Reply with quote

I am replacing a some of the fuel system on my 78 that has been sitting for a while. Drained the fuel tank and the fuel was brown.

from the fuel tank there is a short hose, that goes into this VDO fuel filter with Opel branding and a 77 date stamp on it, so probably time to change it. And when shaking it, little bits of black stuff comes out. Could be charcoal?

This part, listed as item 29 with PN 477 209 233 on PET is NLA.

Has anyone changed it out for something else? Like one of those motorcycle style fuel filters?

I ordered a fuel filter from Pelican, but it's the large Mahle filter and now that I have things apart, I'm not sure where I would fit that without it just dangling around back there...
Karlio  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a 944/928 in-tank filter
scm924s  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

944 type filter won't fit an early 924 tank, these don't have provision for the in tank pump of later cars.

The right angle on the OE filter is necessary as the space between tank and pump inlet is short and would have an awkward kink in it, 90 degree bend in the filter fits just right. difficult to fit an alternative in line filter in there.
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
copeina  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect timing - I literally just drained my tank and took mine apart last night to change the fuel pump. From all my reading, there should be a filter in tank, but as you mention, there is no way to access such a creature. Was wondering if that 90 degree filter was stock and a bit concerned it would restrict flow to the pump. Sounds like it was stock, so will try to replace it.

Planning to go shopping for new rubber lines this week and see what kind of filter I can find to replace it. Will let you know what I find.

/Kris
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

copeina wrote:
Perfect timing - I literally just drained my tank and took mine apart last night to change the fuel pump. From all my reading, there should be a filter in tank, but as you mention, there is no way to access such a creature. Was wondering if that 90 degree filter was stock and a bit concerned it would restrict flow to the pump. Sounds like it was stock, so will try to replace it.

Planning to go shopping for new rubber lines this week and see what kind of filter I can find to replace it. Will let you know what I find.

/Kris

A hydraulic line shop should be able to redo most of those rubbers with the oem fittings or new fittings depending where you are based. Save a pretty penny this way.
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
copeina  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

copeina wrote:

/Kris

Update as promised - Too funny, and too frustrating. Apparently parts stores are just a bunch of idiots of all ages nowadays.

Me: "I need some 12mm fuel hose."
Them: "What car is it for? (1978 Porsche) Oh... we don't have anything listed for that."
Me, looking at the reel right behind the counter. "Just give me 2 feet of that one."
Them: "Ok. Oh... we sell it by the inch. How many inches do you want?"

Anyway, fuel hose in hand but a 12mm or 1/2" 90 degree fuel filter is unobtanium, so I added an elbow and used a straight filter. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Hardest thing so far is finding 12mm crush washers for the banjo line. I'm a little disappointed the new fuel pump didn't include those.

Again - "What car is it for? Oh... we don't have anything listed for that."

It's a crush washer, kid. There's a reason online shopping has won the retail war.

Ever forward!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: