Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Programmable Distributor for 931
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: Programmable Distributor for 931 Reply with quote

Hey all,

So I'm gearing up to put on my big boy pants and getting the cars sorted out come spring. In the meantime it's inventory time and ordering what i need so there are no delays in getting these old ladies operational.

One thing I wanted to do to the '79 was a programmable distributor. There was a company in Germany that made these but I don't recall it being names 123 Ignition. Is this it or am I high :

https://www.classicautoelec.com/en/electronic-ignition-porsche/11377-electronic-ignition-programmable-engine-1600-r16tx-ts.html

??

Any help is as always appreciated. The grey matter is trying to rehash the finer details....

Me
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is

https://www.mittelmotor.de/racing/de/webshop/17887/6557/924-944/4-10-rennsport/4-09/2-4-09103t-neu-detail
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This dizzy has been on my car for near 10yrs.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:

Is it worth the huge $ they want for it though ?

Leigh
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenodog wrote:
Carrera RSR wrote:

Is it worth the huge $ they want for it though ?

Leigh

Compared to what else?

I priced up an MSD set up and it wasn't far off the same price, may be more, didn't come with any maps out the box, meant quite some wiring in and finding a location for the box, didn't look OEM. Didn't appeal to me.

Mittelmotor option is pricey compared to a stock 123ignition distributor but they don't offer one compatible with the 924 / turbo. What you do get is a 'plug and play' solution. Although I have heard/been contacted by some who could not get it to work. I tried to help but it failed them. I have no idea why that happened. It's quite a simple solution.
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty pricey (the turbo version; the NA is reasonable, and I can't think of anything else that'd do the job at that price). Still, for someone wanting full control of timing without having to do a bunch of wiring to run an external ECU, I can't think of any other options. You could buy a Microsquirt and everything you'd need for less though. Then you could either wire in an ignition module to fire the coil and keep the look pretty close to stock, or you could convert to EDIS or coil-on-plug, plus you could run the frequency valve off it as well.

Different budgets and priorities are going to drive different choices, ultimately. Even though it's not cheap, it's great that there's an option like Mittlemotor's distributor. The cheapest thing would be to resort to old-school distributor tuning, although that's a steep learning curve, or you'd have to find a distributor guru (not many of them still around). Just to get more spark, coil and plug wire upgrades would help for relatively cheap. For an all-out effort, I'd lean towards going through the hassle of wiring up a Microsquirt or ignition controller. That'd give you finer control, assuming you went full-on with a TPS, CTS, and IAT. Of course, that begs the question of "why not EFI?" but I wonder, if you've got a good CIS setup, if there's much to gain unless you're aiming for big power numbers. I guess for me, if I'm going to spend big money, I'd like the most sophisticated and capable solution possible, but that's a big investment in time and energy - easier said than done.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still contend that the only reasons the EFI conversion isn't more popular is because few have driven the car with it and experienced the difference.

Yes, it's a good bit of work, and yet perhaps the most challenging parts are simply sorting the fuel plumbing (which honestly isn't that hard) and making the wiring harness (takes a little time and diligence to do well, to ensure you have a solid, robust product).
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm thinking of it is simply because the motor it will go on is a bit different than a stock 931.

I forget the actual build spec but it's something like :

88mm flat hypertension flat tops
Knife edged crank
Teflon scraper
NOS hybrid turbo with the bearing housing from a 951 mated to a 6.10 NOS K26 from Germany
Factory Carrera GT intercooler
911 SC aluminum pressure plate
Euro Motor Werks (think that's the name) big valve kit and a custom ported head and springs etc. that our man Dan used to sell
Fast road cam from Elgin

Bunch of other things, can't remember actually since it's been about 7 years since it was built. Sounds horny as heck and she's going to be a ripper. The WUR is rebuilt as is the entire fuel system. It's as good as it can be with the stock electronics but I'm thinking that at least some form of control would be nice to help dial it in as best we can.
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll try to make a cis/efi video when i have the silver 924SC running.
Running my efi system on the 931 is possible, only challenge is the trigger wheel thing, i may have to make something custom there.
mattmax1981  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with danST Engineering in the UK?

I ran across them when looking for a crank trigger wheel for my project.
This kit is just ignition control for carbs/mechanical injection, but they also sell an EFI system.
They also sell the crank trigger kit by itself, which looks like it would work well with a megasquirt or other ECU.

https://danstengineering.co.uk/Porsche-924-EA831-NODIZ-ECU-Wasted-Spark-Management-Pack?search=924&page=3
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just lucky to have as good a CIS setup as I've got. I can't compare to one with EFI, but mine just works. I hadn't driven it in a few weeks (between having some things apart for the leak-down check and being out of town), but the weather was nice last week so I decided to get it all back together. I had to run some snowmobile parts down to Cody (close to a two-hour drive, one way, farthest afield I've taken it). It started after just a few turns, drove perfectly the whole way down and back, and the only issue was starting after sitting a couple hours took fifteen seconds or so of cranking. I'm not arguing there's nothing to be gained from EFI, just that maybe there's less for some of us than others. Maybe years of previous owners' questionable fuel and repairs, or even not-quite-so-perfect from the factory parts leaves some cars with a lot more to gain?

Anyway, I think you'd lose out on a lot with that much of a build without more control over fueling, in addition to spark. The distributor upgrade would help a lot, but the adjustments possible with a completely stock CIS setup seem too crude, and judging by jacobroufa's conversion, just a Microsquirt and a few added sensors would unlock a ton of tuning potential. That dizzy would be great for a stock setup, but it just seems like a waste to add an intercooler, upgrade the turbo, and then have that 40-year-old lambda control still in the loop. Could be a liability too. Nothing wrong with EFI either - I could see why somebody would go that way as a matter of course - but it sounds like you're more where I'm at in terms of having a CIS setup you've invested in, that's working well for you. What FrankenCIS came up with is pretty brilliant, and you don't even need to buy their stuff to get most of the benefit.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just placed an order yesterday with Danst for their crank trigger kit. For my 931, I used Dan's crank trigger wheel and sensor setup... but their kit is maybe a little more complete anyway!

This is for converting the NA 924 racecar. Fiddled with the throttle body, looking at how to fit a TPS... will be a bit of a pain, but manageable I think. Just so much easier on the S2 931!! Note: rules require we keep stock throttle body, so the easy swaps aren't an option.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw someone posting on the fb groups about an efi conversion kit for the 931 S2. They had a neat fuel rail concept to be able to tuck it under the charge tube.
I went for looking somewhat original by keeping the fuel distributor block and running individual fuel lines from it to each injector.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
Maybe I'm just lucky to have as good a CIS setup as I've got. I can't compare to one with EFI, but mine just works. I hadn't driven it in a few weeks (between having some things apart for the leak-down check and being out of town), but the weather was nice last week so I decided to get it all back together. I had to run some snowmobile parts down to Cody (close to a two-hour drive, one way, farthest afield I've taken it). It started after just a few turns, drove perfectly the whole way down and back, and the only issue was starting after sitting a couple hours took fifteen seconds or so of cranking. I'm not arguing there's nothing to be gained from EFI, just that maybe there's less for some of us than others. Maybe years of previous owners' questionable fuel and repairs, or even not-quite-so-perfect from the factory parts leaves some cars with a lot more to gain?

Anyway, I think you'd lose out on a lot with that much of a build without more control over fueling, in addition to spark. The distributor upgrade would help a lot, but the adjustments possible with a completely stock CIS setup seem too crude, and judging by jacobroufa's conversion, just a Microsquirt and a few added sensors would unlock a ton of tuning potential. That dizzy would be great for a stock setup, but it just seems like a waste to add an intercooler, upgrade the turbo, and then have that 40-year-old lambda control still in the loop. Could be a liability too. Nothing wrong with EFI either - I could see why somebody would go that way as a matter of course - but it sounds like you're more where I'm at in terms of having a CIS setup you've invested in, that's working well for you. What FrankenCIS came up with is pretty brilliant, and you don't even need to buy their stuff to get most of the benefit.

If you already have a perfect running cis car you wont feel any difference, except in the wallet:). The market is mostly for those who doesn't have that, or want to modify the engine more than the cis can handle. Wildly modify the cis is not very easy, and might result in a car which runs rough at lower loads etc, efi can have different saftey systems aswell to save the engine if something goes wrong.

Regarding the 123 unit, there was a guy in the uk924oc who went through two of these before switching to a different system from some uk supplier i think, but it seems to work for others. I cant remember what it was he switched to, i can look it up.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:

Regarding the 123 unit, there was a guy in the uk924oc who went through two of these before switching to a different system from some uk supplier i think, but it seems to work for others. I cant remember what it was he switched to, i can look it up.

That was Alan and his CGT. I tried to help out and could not understand why it wouldn't work for him. No idea if it was the distributor or his car/wiring set up. Either way, yes he returned it.

Only other guy I spoke with was in Italy. He bought the 123 distributor direct from Nederlands, but that item wasn't going to work. I think he went to Mittelmotor after that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: