Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Larger (or additional cooler) oil cooler options for the 931

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:52 am    Post subject: Larger (or additional cooler) oil cooler options for the 931 Reply with quote

Anyone running a larger oil cooler or multiple oil coolers? I've turned up the boost on my car...wondering if additional oil cooling would be helpful.

Looking through old threads, someone mentioned running two stock coolers (93120705101) in series (I'd like to see how those are mounted), someone else suggested adding a larger oil cooler in place of the stock cooler (any recommendations)? My washer bottle was leaking so I've already removed that...so more room for a larger cooler if needed in the stock location. I'm aware that the 924 Carerra gt and GTS moved the cooler up front, better air flow maybe?

What size are the fittings on the stock oil lines/cooler? M22? I'm not seeing any sources for metric lines, looks like I'd have to convert to AN...AN12?

(pic borrowed from ancient thread on Pelican parts)

Source for these pics: https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/1981-porsche-924-carrera-gts-club-sport6648/

Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont track it i would not bother changing it. To get more space for the IC end tank and some additional cooling area i had to swap my original one for a narrower setrab with Banjo connectors. A hydraulic hose shop cut of the old lines and pressed on new teflon steel braided ones for more bendability.

I dont know if its enough, i have some ducting around it aswell. The future will tell

chuck21401  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedric wrote:
If you dont track it i would not bother changing it.

Yeah, I read comments like that as well in old threads, that the stock cooler is sufficient for the street. With an oil cooled turbo...running higher boost...seems like more cooling would be helpful?

I have no data (yet). Might need to add an oil temp gauge at least temporarily. I'd be curious to see the oil temp after a boost run, then stopped at a stoplight.

Quote:
To get more space for the IC end tank and some additional cooling area i had to swap my original one for a narrower setrab with Banjo connectors. A hydraulic hose shop cut of the old lines and pressed on new teflon steel braided ones for more bendability.

I dont know if its enough, i have some ducting around it aswell. The future will tell

Thanks for posting that picture. Good idea with the vibration damping mounts.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step one get a oil temp sensor and guage i drilled my oil plug and put the sensor there, quick and easy. its not easy to get up to high oil temps on the road, even if you hammer it, i don't live on the hottest place on earth though
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the stock design of oil manifold/thermostat and pipes out to the cooler is very space-efficient, I'd be inclined to keep that.

But as noted replacing the hose portion would be wise... maybe just in the process have a different non-metric end crimped on, converting to AN for the widest options?

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Pegasus has the necessary metric adapters... but they're very expensive.

All assuming you need more cooling, as noted. I've found mine is fine with oil pressure (indirectly reading the temp) running VR1 20W50, in ambients up to 90F in traffic... so not boosting, but massively heat soaking. Note that I'm running 14psi and a 951 IC.

So I have no plans for an oil cooler upgrade for this car.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issues with stock oil cooler on my well modified, higher boosted motor. It is running an ally 944 turbo +50% sized coolant radiator. Runs very cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: