Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Question about WUR specs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beartooth wrote:
...but it seems the attitude with CIS from the factory (probably originating with Bosch) is "Do not touch!"

Yeah, that's a VERY Bosch attitude. One of the first things I learned when coming here to work, back in 1999, was that the German phrase for this is "Nicht Verstellen!!!"

Still working at Bosch, not in fuel injection, and still poking at things I shouldn't be...

Thanks for that link, it looks excellent, and I already found what looks like exactly one fitting I needed, the banjo to AN fitting for the pump! May have to give that a try over the winter, perhaps end up with a more robust plumbing solution than my welding...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan,
The only fitting I was able to buy was at the top of the fuel distributor. Every other conversion fitting I made was cut and splice via silver solder. It has worked for a year now but.... Maybe Beartooth's find (www.fittings.space/) has some others that help out but it's not a slam dunk. Hell, look what Porsche did to mount the Audi transmission to the back end of the 924
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty funny, Bosch's attitude towards meddling with "their" components. I have to wonder if they think failure is supremely unlikely and modifications are just foolish (you're messing with perfeciton), or if they think the number of amateurs who could successfully correct a problem or modify the system is so low it's negligible. On KE-jet Mercs (and possibly most or all KE-jet applications) the idle CO adjustment had a BB pressed into it to keep it from being tampered with; per the FSM, if an adjustment had to be made, the service center had to drill out the BB, then press a new one in after the adjustment had been made.

Anyway, I also had the thought of welding or soldering to create what I need, but it's far beyond my welding equipment and skills, and even if I had what I needed, I'd be a little concerned about it going wrong and creating a leak down the road. What I might try is using a tubing bender to modify the original metal lines and replace the flexible (polyamide) segment, which would allow for length adjustments. I found a source for the polyamide line (and some fittings) digging through old threads: https://www.partsklassik.com/c-12-fuel-system.aspx. So it should be possible to modify the original lines and re-use them to relocate the WUR. Apparently it's not DIY-friendly though; possible if you're willing to build some tools to hold the lines, but not easy.
BWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas and the link, Beartooth! I don't have the skills or equipment for welding either, but is there any reason one couldn't have a bracket welded in the fender well area in front of the battery? Or maybe even just drill a couple of holes and mount it in the metal wall directly in front of the battery? It would be on the same side as the CIS on the 931, so you wouldn't need super long fuel lines.
BWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm resurrecting this thread to ask a quick (I hope) question. Finally got some time to get back on the car and do some testing. I'm trying to get the system pressure dialed in before moving on to the WUR. I jumped the fuel pump relay connector and the pressure gauge kept moving up until it got to about 30 psi/2 bar. At this point there was a small popping sound from the fuel distributor and the pressure dropped down to about 17psi/1.2 bar and the cycle repeated itself until it got to 30 psi/2 bar again, after which the cycle started all over again. The fuel distributor temp was about 55 F/12.5 C. Is it normal for this to happen? Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully someday I will be able to give back to this group.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not right. Popping noise in the fuel distributor....

I'd look at rebuilding that before anything else.
BWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. That’s not encouraging. I already rebuilt it once, but admittedly I’m an amateur with these things. Chuck, would you recommend a professional rebuild at this point?
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the popping noise be from air bubbles working their way through the FD? I can't imagine anything else causing it. I've found the FD to be fairly foolproof as long as you put it back together the way it was intended, and there are only a few things that can go back together wrong. I'd take it apart and look for anything amiss; it wouldn't hurt to dig through as many rebuild instructions as you can find too, just in case there's something you missed. Really, as long as it goes together properly, the only advantage of a "professional" rebuild is the calibration. The instructions I've got involve checking and matching the depth of the set screws under the little cap screws, which is potentially garbage in, garbage out, plus whatever error is introduced. That said, I suspect if you can measure the injector outputs accurately enough, you can calibrate it as well as anyone.
BWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Beartooth. I was thinking about it last night, and I'm thinking that the cause might be the pressure regulator. This was what seemed to have been causing my initial issues with the FD (a pinging sound upon acceleration, then stalling out). When I did the first rebuild, the piston was stuck solid. It's unstuck now, of course, but it might be doing other wonky things. I will do some experimentation and see if the popping goes away. Thanks again! Eager to get this thing on the road, though that still seems far away.
BWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Which is not to suggest that another tear-apart and rebuild is not still in order; it very well may be.)
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of folks here have attempted to rebuild the FD. Care installing the new rubber seals and a proper very thin application of Loctite 542 on the metal gasket is all that is needed.
Popping noise....sticking piston. Sounds possible. If stuck you get no fuel or too much fuel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: