Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Question about WUR specs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Question about WUR specs Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding my WUR and am ready to reassemble. Per the instructions I measured the distance from the adapter ring to the adjustment screw for the spring cup before disassembly. However, I'm 90% sure this unit has been tampered with before, so I'm not sure if my measurement is useful. Does anyone know from experience or factory specs what the distance should be? Thanks in advance. I appreciate all the help I've received from the folks on this forum.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wur adjustments are done on a pressure checking bench, dimensional measurements wont be sufficient to get a correctly functioning WUR.
You need to rig it to a bench that puts the system pressure trough it and see what the wur is regulating based on its bi-metal...and adjust accordingly.
BWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't have a way to bench test it. I could, of course hook it back up to the system to test it, but this means I would have to disassemble the unit each time to make adjustments. I suppose one way would be to set it somewhere in the middle, then make the WUR adjustable externally using this set up. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

https://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=20665
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it to mine (the adjustability mod), on the NA racecar, and so far very happy - though we haven't had the car back on track just yet, that's next week...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
BWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Vaughan. I will try this approach then. Happy tracking! Now if I could just find a different place to mount it...
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how they calibrated them from the factory, but it's got to be a process like morghen described. Give that you're working with fairly imprecise things like springs and the bimetal arm and heating element, I imagine they had some fixture they'd put them in that allowed them to adjust by pressing the chamber and stud until pressures checked out. I'm about to put my system back together (again; I finally bit the bullet and fully rebuilt the FD, plus I've got the intake off so I could get at all the hoses and such), and I'm planning on calibrating my WUR as described about halfway down this thread: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/wur.9191785/.

I may modify it to be adjustable down the road, but I figure I'll see if it works ok unmodified first. Making it adjustable doesn't hurt - it just doesn't seem that useful given how much of a pain it is to access the thing, and it's not that difficult to adjust the pressures by other means. If I find myself wanting to adjust it frequently, then I'll figure out a way to mount it where it's accessible and probably do the typical mod. Keep in mind too, one quick way to decrease the pressures (when you have it out anyway) is to put a washer or two over the stud the bimetal arm mounts to. You could also tap that stud down (pushing it from the inside outward) a bit to overshoot the target control pressure, then use washers to bring it back down. Lots of ways to skin this cat...
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used aeroquip lines and relocated it to the front of the left fender well. Then I replaced it with an adjustable pressure gauge. Easy peasy. I'm not so much focused on originality. Quite useful for dialing in max HP CO readings on the Inovate.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is still mounted stock - I guess we'll see if I decide to change that. But wanted to also mention I actually modded mine while still on the car; just unbolted from the intake (after removing the coil for access), then swung it up top and drilled and tapped on top of the engine...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
BWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I think I will make it adjustable, then mount it on the left fender well. Fifty50Plus, I'm having a hard time envisioning your setup. You replaces the WUR with a pressure gauge? Could you explain or provide pictures for those of us less knowledgeable? Thanks!
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the line coming from the fuel distributor (you should convert to AeroQuip) to the adjustable pressure regulator input side. Another line from the output side back to the fuel distributor. Remove both factory lines to the WUR as well as the WUR itself.
I'm at the racetrack in WV this weekend and can't send any pics from my IPad. If you send me an email address, I will send you some pics of the setup in my race car with my iPhone.
BWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! I will pm you. Good luck at the track! Sounds fun.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics sent to Brent. If he wants, he can post them here.
BWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course. Hope they're useful to others. Thanks again, Chuck.

Last edited by BWW on Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chuck, can you share specifics (brand and part #) on adapters for going from these metric fuel fittings to AN? I struggled through this to convert to AN lines back at the fuel pump, ended up welding up my own adapters. Thankfully, I made that work, but it was a real PITA, and most won't be able to weld up such custom fittings.

Both the banjo fitting and the metric compression fittings were a problem...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to help you there! I bought an Innovate SSI-4 that I plan to use to display and log RPM, MAP, control pressure, and duty cycle (that one won't matter much for power tuning, but could be useful, and just a one-wire hookup). The question of how to adapt it to the WUR circuit was a challenge. I thought fairly early about a double banjo bolt, but the typical automotive and motorsport supply houses didn't carry anything that could work. Neither did the local hydraulic supply. Finally, I discovered this place: https://www.fittings.space/. They had the M8x1 double banjo bolt, and I bought a banjo to barb fitting (1/4") and a barb to NPT fitting that the fuel pressure sensor will go to. Some 1/4" injection rated fuel line (also not easy to find) and fuel injections clamps should complete the deal.

Anyway, it looks like they have M8 to AN fittings. I have to wonder how difficult it would be to emulate the original setup, with mostly hard line and a flexible segment in the middle, but Fifty50Plus's setup would definitely be easier. Mine's a 931, so I'd probably go with a different spot, but I'm guessing a relocation is likely to happen down the road. Woulda been really nice if they'd put it somewhere accessible and made it fully adjustable off the bat, but it seems the attitude with CIS from the factory (probably originating with Bosch) is "Do not touch!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: