Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1977 924 Martini Edition. Hoping to get it back on the road!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sticknrudder  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: 1977 924 Martini Edition. Hoping to get it back on the road! Reply with quote

I purchased this car a couple weeks ago as a non-runner for $750. I was able to get it started but ran very rough with lots of smoke and was leaking fuel everywhere. I had the fuel lines remade. Previous owner had done some things to the car including new Bosch fuel distributor. My next goal is getting all the vacuum lines sorted out. They’re all cut. I purchased a Haynes manual for the car but I am trying to figure out what I can get away without replacing. The vacuum booster for instance is all dry rotted so hoping I can eliminate that.

The final step before I try to drive the car is rebuilding the calipers and reconnecting all the brake lines. Really hopeful I can get it back on the road! Any help on the vacuum lines would be greatly appreciated. I’m quite lost. I have some pictures and when I figure out how to upload I will do so.

Chris
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Where exactly are you in SW MI?

Re: vacuum booster - I assume you mean the little goofy thing on the fender with 4 small vacuum lines going to it, not the brake booster? Yeah, I should expect that can be deleted; only things you really IMO need vacuum for is the distributor and the brake booster (including a hose to the vacuum reservoir under the fender).

There should be a diagram on the fender IIRC showing the schematic layout for the vacuum hoses, no?
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
sticknrudder  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome! I’m in Berrien Springs, MI.

Yes, you guessed it as far as the booster. There would be 4 lines but literally every vacuum line in this car is disconnected, cut or otherwise mutilated. Also the car as been repainted and there is no diagram left. I do have the Haynes manual but what you just told me is what I need! I don’t want to have to hook all this stuff back up that isn’t necessary. I’m going to try to get some pics uploaded soon. Really hoping to get this vacuum stuff figured out because I want to see how it runs!
sticknrudder  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMG_1379
IMG_1025
IMG_1380
IMG_1369
IMG_1382
IMG_1372
IMG_1377
IMG_1376
IMG_1019
sticknrudder  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a photo since I replaced the fuel lines with new stainless braided ones. I circled what I think is the vacuum booster. So I can eliminate that, correct?

IMG_1368

This picture shows how cut up the vacuum lines are. I assume that little pancake looking item on the distributor is an item that needs vacuum hooked up? I’m out of town now but when I get home I’ll try to see if I can figure out where it hooks up to.

IMG_1022
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ignore the vacuum line on the distributor. Set the idle timing at 10 or more degrees advanced. On our 924 race cars, we set them to about 20 degrees and a good distributor will advance to around 41 degrees at 6000 RPM. Sometimes at 20 degrees it's kind of hard to start if real cold.
I think that Vaughan will agree with me on that and the fact that we plug ALL of the vacuum ports on the engine.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
sticknrudder  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sounds of that! If I can just plug everything that sounds much better to me.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I recognize that car! Was seeing the ads floating around in the feeds...

Yeah, can ditch that vac regulator, and yes you can plug the vacuum ports to the engine, we run with none on our racecars, exactly what Chuck said - and 6-10 degrees advance at idle should be fine.

Can ditch that air (smog) pump and filter too.

Gonna want to get a hold-down clamp for the battery, they're available new.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
sticknrudder  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into a little issue ordering parts: Trying to get brake parts for the front calipers. The part number for the pad mounting hardware kit is 944-352-952-01-M350. Most sites say it fits a 1977 924 but has a note saying it is only for the rear of models with 5 lugs. Mine is only disk in the front and is a 4 lug. I've done some calling around and can't find the right ones. Any pointers where I might go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: