Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Seamless, bolt-on, plug-in EFI kit for the 924 & 931
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with most EFI conversions is that you try to do it on the cheep. Its going to cost you €3000. That's the budget you need to have and you really need to go to a dyno and tune it.

3 of my cars have EFI conversions with 3 different ECUs. The ECU makes a difference, the more modern IS better, not that the car runs better, but its easier to work with, less issues, more capabilities.
I have a VEMS "plug n play" in my 911 3.6 made by an Estonian guy. Did it run and work right out of the box? Yes, it did. Did it run perfectly, no. A retune was needed and that made a heap of difference.

I'm pretty excited about this EFI kit. It solves a lot of mechanical issues in a pretty neat way. The ECU is not the best, but it works. I don't doubt that the tune will work good, but I also think it can be improved by an individual retune, its just the nature of individual engines, environments and fuel.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
I'm with you on that last part, completely.
If you search for my comments on people going EFI in the past...i'm always the one saying dont do it as you'll just end up parting your car as it will never be done properly.
Thats generally true, with some exceptions of course.
And it certainly was true for me as well...but now i've learned a thing or two and i also get support and bounce ideas with some guys like Cedric so the chance of having it good are much bigger now.

What bugs me is that all the 924s i had or drove had issues in some conditions and worked fine in others, for example hot start or low idle when cold (931S2 didnt have that as it helped regulate idle trough ignition advance/retard)
And for example i had ideas and talks with the owner of this silver 924SC that he/we do a long trip in this car from Europe to Africa and back...immagine if this fueling issue happened while in the desert.

By the way, i adjusted the kjet on the 924 i'm driving to run richer and ran great cold and half way warmed but started running crap when hot...so this cant be sorted out trough adjustment...its just broken.

I feel like we have the same problem lmao. I failed smog because my AFR was around 12.8 and was outputting too much CO. If I lean it out at all the car wont start and runs like absolute dogshit when its cold. I can adjust it to run good cold but when it gets warm it has to be adjusted again and then it'll run pretty good. Set my afr to 14.3 and slightly adjusted timing to keep it happy and it passed smog but sounded horrible and ran like dog crap. Changed it back and now it runs like a top and doesn't smoke at all. This car will probably be sold by the time your kit is out. My 77 on the other hand, I cannot wait to stick your setup on.
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Riggard  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:

By the way, i adjusted the kjet on the 924 i'm driving to run richer and ran great cold and half way warmed but started running crap when hot...so this cant be sorted out trough adjustment...its just broken.

I think you should be able to adjust cold and warm pressure independently.

Warm pressure can be regulated by pressing the 'big round' centre, where both fuel lines go into the WUR into the housing, or pressing it out of the housing, that changes the warm control pressure.

Most WUR mods are for adding a bolt to the rod that holds the metal strip that bends when it gets hot. These do not affect warm pressure much, only cold.(after all, when the metal strip bends, this has no function anymore)

Having said that... EFI is obviously much more fun
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dialed a bit more fuel from the metering head and it ran fine when cold and warm, but once it got fully warmed up it started to hick-up again.
This thing progressed and worsened day by day...today it was barely drivable again.
Tomorrow i'm starting the EFI conversion on this car so thats it with k-jet for this car. Aiming to have it running on basic level by 1st of December.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't regret anything except putting it off for so long!

Hit me up if you want my Microsquirt cal file, it's pretty mature with quite a bit of mileage and testing on it, from cold starts at 0C to bumper-to-bumper traffic at 90F...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgen, go buy the savethe924.com domain. You deserve it! I don't own it anymore.

Do you think there could be a choice of ecu, or at least one with widespread support, like the Holley sniper for example? Tuning would be different of course.
1981 Weissach Edition #179
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldwolf wrote:
Morgen, go buy the savethe924.com domain. You deserve it! I don't own it anymore.

Do you think there could be a choice of ecu, or at least one with widespread support, like the Holley sniper for example? Tuning would be different of course.

Maxxecu is used worldwide nowdays, fairly common and great to use. Holley sniper for example is pretty rare to see outside of the us. But its only wiring and sensors, so you could pin in into any ECU if you want to.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look at that domain name and try to think of something to do with it. I currently own the924.com where my website is.

As Cedric hinted, the EFI kit will run MaxxEcu.
I'm currently at the stage where i'm placing the ECU on the car, defining wire lengths, wrapping the wires and crimping the connectors.
Actually i'm waiting for the connectors to be delivered but you get the point.

The idea with the kit is that it is plug and play, and that everybody can do it with a minimized set of tools. Thats one of my aims, and that requirement also shapes the final product.
I want something small, simple, subtle yet high performance and easy to use/tune, at the same time i dont want it to have extra capabilities that most people will never use.
MaxxEcu offers all of those, and for the sake of the ease of managing this, i'm only going to ship the kit with one choice of ECU.
RVA  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morghen, are you 100% the audi throttle body will fit on rubber air intake?

Looking at pictures comparing a 924 tb and audi tb, the 924 has an oval shape and the audi tb has a asymmetrical shape. Or does that not really matter because the intake is flexible?

Just making sure
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it “fits”, the tube is flexible and you can stretch it a bit to fit. You need to use a screwdriver to help it fit and its easier if you have the TB off and do it on the bench the first time but its doable.
I’m almost out of tubes, before ordering the next batch i’ll order a tool change.
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured these look nice laid out like that.
Also, dog overseeing the things that be.

morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to test fit the new fuel lines, yes they will be in the EFI kit
I figured that most 924 have ugly fuel lines by now anyway..so..wouldnt look nice with all the fresh stuff and ugly fuel lines, would it?

morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to finish the prototype wiring loom and fit it to the car.
Fitted all brackets, sensors…debuged an issue with the trigger wheel..made some quick settings and it fired up. Things went quicker and smoother than expected, so i took it for a short drive.
Supercharger disconnected though as i still have to do the fuel maps properly.

https://youtu.be/6Fsj65ezris?si=bszrc0Z6tMN-c1o4
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, well done!

A bit frustrated at this end to find that the Audi TT injectors I plan to use on my NA conversion are now NLA new - only refurbs available. OTOH, those are a lot cheaper... a LOT cheaper!

Still awaiting the Danst trigger wheel arrival, but it's on its way from the UK... now starting to get to the smaller, cheaper items on the list... do have to fit that TPS still, otherwise it's almost time to wait for the car to come back out of storage...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Awesome, well done!

A bit frustrated at this end to find that the Audi TT injectors I plan to use on my NA conversion are now NLA new - only refurbs available. OTOH, those are a lot cheaper... a LOT cheaper!

Still awaiting the Danst trigger wheel arrival, but it's on its way from the UK... now starting to get to the smaller, cheaper items on the list... do have to fit that TPS still, otherwise it's almost time to wait for the car to come back out of storage...

I've been struggling the same as you to find a reliable source for injectors that will all have similar spray patterns, I didn't think they would be so hard to find lol.

Really cool to hear it went relatively smoothly for you Morghen and to also see it driving in day 1! Is there an idea of when you might start taking payments for such kit and how much it will cost? Gotta start saving because my 77 Restomod would be really something else with this setup. Cheers and happy new years!
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: