Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1978 Steering Wheel Bearing Sleeve replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhariush  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: 1978 Steering Wheel Bearing Sleeve replacement Reply with quote

My 924 has a loose steering column and it appears that its at the steering wheel bearing. It feels very tight and firm and does not move around down at the firewall.

After some reading there seems to be plastic sleeve between the bearing and shaft. It's part number 171-419-341

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/171419341.htm?pn=171-419-341-OEM

Now, is there anyone on this board that has ever replaced it?

I was able to remove the wiper stalk, which is a whole other thing, because it has these weird connectors that plug into two separate connectors at the back of the dashboard but those connectors are just loose and they moved out of alignment and I'm having a hard time squeezing them back in.

but one problem at a time...

Here's a little video of the play. The bearing seems to be fine.

https://youtu.be/s_hQ5nm6FCI

Does the plastic sleeve just slide over the shaft and fit neatly inside the bearing? It looks very tight back there...

And is there a way to remove the whole bearing while the column in still installed?
Code:

Beartooth  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the details, but I took my steering column partially apart to replace the turn signal assembly and ignition switch. I know I had that plastic sleeve out too, and I don't remember it being anything difficult to get apart and back together. The one thing that sticks out is that the shaft will slide down through the firewall some, and I had to find a way to hold it up while I reassembled the hub that the bearing was in. So you'll need a way to hold the shaft up when you put it back together - at least if you do it the way I did. The Haynes manual describes removing the whole column, but mentions drilling out two sheer bolts; I'm not sure exactly what that entails, but the way I went at it was different.

Anyway, I have had that plastic piece out, but didn't need to replace it. I didn't do anything with the bearing itself, but the Haynes manual says to tear down and get the metal piece with the steering lock, ignition switch, and that bearing out, then remove a circlip, then drive the bearing out and drive the new one in. I'm pretty sure for what you're doing that you'll want to lock the shaft forward so it can't drop towards the engine bay, then tear into it from the front to the point where you have the piece containing the bearing, ignition switch, and shaft lock out. Then you can replaced the necessary pieces and reassemble.
mhariush  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late last night I was looking at some photos from other posts and I saw that the plastic sleeve wasn't where I expect and when I looked at my column I saw it and was able to pull it off.

Was able to remove the whole ignition module and all. The connectors to the switch stalk worries me a little in terms of connecting back, but I'm sure it will work out...

Now I see that the plastic support ring has completely disintegrated. Looks like the used the same plastic as the odometer gears...

So off to order new parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: