Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

SUPERCHARGER kit for the 2L, now out there
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I had not had a restricted air plate I would not have gone with EFI. US market cars got a significantly smaller air flow plate (what sits below the fuel distributor) and this causes the mix of hot, charged air from the bypass valve to overwhelm the amount of cool air, resulting in more pinging than what RoW cars experienced.

For an out of the box top experience on a US car, I would highly suggest finding an 80mm air plate to swap in, and to see what the water/meth injection setup will do as far as temperature stabilization is concerned, before recommending someone do what I did.

I think to get 80% of the way with microsquirt you have to put in a minimum effort, but to get the last bit it's a very steep learning curve and lots of additional effort to ensure there are enough and the proper sensors to provide accurate data for tuning. That said, you can control just the frequency valve and get a good wide range of tunability with stock system and just microsquirt controlling that based on MAP; that's probably your lowest cost / barrier to entry option.

Before my setup goes back together I will have this larger air plate, as well as coolant temp switch and IAT sensor which I did not have before. Additionally I will have a V3 trigger wheel and a Ford EDIS ignition box. We will see how it goes!
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all USA cars have the small air flap, actually i've checked with other guys and so far you have the only one i found.
Sndtech  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciprian is correct. I have 2 -79 NA's and 1 - 77 NA.
All three have the larger air plate.

My 1980 NA has the smaller one. Will be swapping that out to install the Supercharger Kit when the time comes.

Salvage yards are full of them here in the US
Mclaren924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm thats interesting, I've got a few to compare from at home so I'll have a look at what all of mine have.
1977 924 Slicktop "Pennie" Bucket turned Silver Spoon
kondzi  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mclaren924 wrote:

The kit is looking fantastic Morghen! Have you experimented at all with EFI with this setup or does somebody with the kit have it setup with EFI?I was thinking microsquirt or a holley/motec setup if I win the lottery. Each iteration you release sees me wanting one more and more...

I'm one step before going to EFI. Basically if not the time and money invested into new CIS components some time agi, I'd be already on EFI (with my turbo, not SC, but who cares )

I used to run MegaSquirt on 2 of my cars. Now it's only in one (931), but I will replace it with Ecumaster Classic ECU or the Black (will be installing 2 Blacks hopefully soon in other cars).

Just take a look for what is included in the ECU (like Wideband o2 controller, direct coil fire, and so on) and for what number of $$$. I built 3 cars on Ecumaster Classic (IMHO perfect choice for our older cars that don't have CAN, traction control, DbW throttles etc.)

Do a homework, check Motec, VEMS, MegaSquirt (MicroSquirt), Ecumaster and so on how much they cost and what's included vs. what needs extra investment.

On the other hand, when you have all hardware parts in place and have no clue about the EFI ECUs and need to give that work to a local tuner, ask that guy what he's most experienced to work with.
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been one year now, one year since i sent out the first round of kits.
I've made a short video to celebrate this.

https://youtu.be/TkmxTmdrIkc
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome vid! Sounds really good

Congratulations Morghen! Can't wait to check out Jacob's car in the Spring
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Sndtech  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Morghen !!

I am another very happy customer of yours.
We finally installed one of the supercharger kits. What a difference it makes in the car. WOW ! Power, torque, responsiveness, drivability, just makes the 924 so much more fun to drive.

I like it better than driving my 944 More power and sounds alot cooler.
Hats off for designing such a kit. Long overdue and so much better than retrofitting a turbocharger to an NA.

This car was the one on Wheeler Dealers Season 14 Ep 12. So very happy with the car and its now injected SC performance.

if you have a 924 NA. You MUST get this kit... it will put a smile on your face like you can't imagine.. JUST DO IT !!

See below .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rw34Wrpe7ejB2Axj7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d8z12ebc4zEBXw8q6

Sorry I would add more pics and video still trying to figure out how.
1977 924 Red "Wheeler Dealer Car" | 1977 924 Martini | 1979 Sebring |1979 924 N/A Dolomite Grey | 1980 924 N/A Minerva Blue
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 1 year already!?!

It feels as a lot longer than that, and that timeframe gives me confidence in next year's approach to the 924SC. Once I have the larger air inlet installed and the rest of the gear for Microsquirt with digital ignition, I feel that this thing is going to really rip.

Thinking back on my experience this year, I am grateful for your kindness, encouragement, and assistance not only in building the kit and iterating to get the most out of it, but in your approach to bringing this to the community. I cannot think of a better steward of such a project. Hats off to you Ciprian!
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you let the thought of "one year" settle on your mind for a second, you realize even more what you did was insane! Only one year, basically as a one man army, developing several versions of this kit

Its nuts in a very crazy cool way
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the nice words guys, i appreciate that.
It has been a bit of a marathon to keep the technical side up to date and follow the needed and desired improvements while dealing with logistics, production, suppliers, packaging and customer care.
I did feel the strain towards the end of the year so i decided to slow down.
I'm currently not producing kits and dont plan to do so for a few months.
I had plans to do something else but decided i need a rest

I'll relax by rebuilding the engine in my 924 with new pistons, rings and bearings. This engine had worn rings when i got the car so now the clutch has worn out as well...so its time for a rebuild.

Water/Alcohol injection kit is still coming, will be out to the community around April so everyone interested can have it installed before June.
Riggard  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year already... should get my lazy ass to work and also install my kit Really looking forward to it, hope I get my engine rebuilt and installed before summer.
peakay  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Newbie from the US Reply with quote

Hi there,

I’ve been researching this kit with keen interest to add an SC to a 924 I’m acquiring . A few questions:

- what Hp do the eye spec cars end up with? the US market cars have a lower compression ratio, so do they “catch up” to the euro cars in total HP by being a bit more tolerant to boost and timing with the lower CR?

- Anyone running one of these on US 91 octane? I’m from Cali and that is all we have out here.

- Is it possible to run the factory air box? The kit is so clean and sc hidden it seems like with the factory airbox it might be able to pass the visual portion of the emissions testing we have to do here and perhaps even the tailpipe if the car runs cleanly enough.

Thank you - hope to join you soon.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible to run with a modified original airbox.
The previous versions of the kit had this, but the new and custom airbox is miles better in flowing the required air...so i dont recommend using the old setup.
If you insist in using the original airbox or you really have to, i still have my old modified airbox, i can send that with the kit.
You could run that only for the inspection and switch back to the new setup after you have passed the inspection.
But it is quite possible that the inspectors wont even notice the new airbox. I dont think they wont give you the pass just for an aftermarket air filter...after all thats the only thing that stands out as being non factory.

While the US cars run lower compression, you also run a different fuel and i'm not sure of how the US cars stack up to the European ones. This is a long debate but what is sure is that regardless of the fuel and compression ratio, the kit will extend the torque range quite impressively.
Meaning you'll have a lot more torque from 2000RPM up to 6000RPM if you need to go that high.

In terms of horsepower...nothing is guaranteed, it boils down to many factors, like condition of your engine, even the altitude you're living at, the fuel you're using, the timing you're able to run with the fuel you've got..and how much time you spend fine tuning the car can make a big difference.
I think at worst, you can get marginal top rpm hp gains but still get the massive extension of the torque curve and a noticeable torque increase.
The theory is this: the supercharger is set to push about 30% more air trough the engine. So this could give you an indication of what to expect in the best case scenario.

What is guaranteed is that you will enjoy driving the 924 a lot more, this torque range extension is so addictive and the kit makes the car super responsive, its like its on carbs, you press the pedal and it instantly starts pulling regardless of the gear you're in or the RPM you're at.
Also the soundtrack is so so so much better.

Food for thought, i sold my 2007 Cayman because the 924SC is comparable in terms of how it makes me feel behind the wheel. That first gen Cayman is an amazing machine, it drives phenomenally good, it sounds extremely good as well...and yet...i often chose to take the 924SC out instead of the Cayman and i sold the Cayman and kept the 924.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie from the US Reply with quote

peakay wrote:
Hi there,

I’ve been researching this kit with keen interest to add an SC to a 924 I’m acquiring . A few questions:

- what Hp do the eye spec cars end up with? the US market cars have a lower compression ratio, so do they “catch up” to the euro cars in total HP by being a bit more tolerant to boost and timing with the lower CR?

- Anyone running one of these on US 91 octane? I’m from Cali and that is all we have out here.

- Is it possible to run the factory air box? The kit is so clean and sc hidden it seems like with the factory airbox it might be able to pass the visual portion of the emissions testing we have to do here and perhaps even the tailpipe if the car runs cleanly enough.

Thank you - hope to join you soon.

A friend of mine has put a lot of effort to run the std airbox together with the SC kit, its possible but takes some fiddling and adjusting, and of course cutting and glass fiber mod of the airbox. I don't remember if we did some other mods compared to ciprians version, might have done some redesign of the part that is glued in.

The cali 91 seems pretty bad, which is especially unfortunate for SC non intercooled engines, but CR 8.5 is perfect for boost on the other hand

Then theres always the option of injecting water and alcohol to offset shite fuel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: