Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Jump wire went wrong
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrborrie  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Jump wire went wrong Reply with quote

Long story short, i jumped pin 15 and pin 1 instead of pin 30 and 87.

From my understanding the pinout is followed:

Terminal Number - Connection
30 - Permanent battery live
31 - Earth
1 or 31b - Coil negative
15 - Switched 'Ignition on ' voltage
87 - Output to fuel pump

So i connected the coil negativ (green wire) with the switched ignition on.

Apart from having to open up the entire loom what else should i look out for replacing / fixing.

Im pretty pissed at myelf but happy the car did not went up in flames, the wires are toast as i started with the loom already but could have been worse
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the loom out and replace the affected wires completely or at least re-insulate them by heat shrink tubes. You probably damaged their insulation.
safe  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did something happen? Smoke?
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
mrborrie  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes lots of smoke, i'm such an idiot for walking away to look for my volt meter, contact was on for a minute or so witoud my precence.

Took off all the wraper from the loom to check the individial wires and the black and green wire are affected. I can narrow it down to 2 connectors that pop out the relaybox/fusebox.

Some nearby wires have lost part of the insulation so there is some work to do for sure.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all make mistakes and break something once in a while..
Sounds like your on the right path to fixing it..
mrborrie  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i got most of the wirepulled back to the enginebay ready for replacing.
I would like to replace the connectorspins in the connector. but they look very small

Does anyone know the pins used in the connector and where to buy these new?

Talking about the pins in this connector

morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like you left it there for a minute with wrong pins connected
I suggest replacing the whole section of the wiring loom or the whole wiring loom.
mrborrie  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not gonna share this one but what the hell, yes it was terrible.
Considering the amount of smoke im suprised all the connetors survived. I took all the wiring out of the main protection and not allot of damge..

In the end it was 2 wires affeted and the nearside damage. If i can get a whole loom i'd consider it.

I have been offered bad looking looms via the local Ebay for 20 euro's. I feel like going new wired and terminals is best and replace whats broken. The loom itself is not brittle or anything

I just need to figure out where i can buy new terminals that slide into the connectors. they are all in perfect shape still

These perhaps?
https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diagrams-porsche-924-1980-eu-924-2-0-coupe-automatische-versnellingsbak/general-electricity-430/bo%C3%AEtier-de-connecteur-6644/cylindrical-connector-1-6-x-2-5-mm-713

safe  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic!
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you wont make that mistake again, that's for sure !
So now you need two things, a replacement wiring loom and an air freshner for your 924.
Ask in the buy/sell section, surely someone has a parted shell that still has the wiring attached and they would be willing to send it to you.
I would not trust the old loom at all after all this damage..you dont know what was damaged and what not.

From...ahem...experience..i can tell you that you probably fried the relay panel as well...that big plastic thing where all the looms connect....take out the connectors and inspect the individual pins...surely at least one is melted.

I have done a similar mistake once on my buddie's car...i however realised i did wrong in a matter of a second and i managed to just fry the ground wire...but the connector slot in the relay panel was damaged so i had to replace the panel.
mrborrie  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe it was this long ago already, yeah i got very upset and parked the car and lost interest until now.

Meanwhile I did buy a box full of cutup loom and a complete loom.
Last weekend i took another assessment and notices about 8 wired needed soldering and other needed just verify and clean.

I seem to have powered the minus on the coil frying the distributor electronics

For the following i like to look at a diagram to figure out where these wires should end up:

6 Pin connector: Green/white and a Green wire coming from 1 pin

Fuelrelaybox wires:

Black Relay fuel to ?
Green/white relay fuel to ?

Photo of the 6 pin connector friend and the replacement already installed (apart from the green wires)

morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very very careful this time, triple check everything 10 times and when you connect the battery dont stand aside ready to take pictures, stay with your hand on the terminal ready to take it off at the first sign of a short.

Maybe graze the terminal over the + of the battery before fully connecting it to see if it makes big sparks, if it does, then you have a big consumer and you've done something wrong and should not fully connect the battery.
mrborrie  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have a yearly interval
So i ended up buying a loom and a box full of cut up looms last year based on the posts here.

Just a few months ago i pushed the 924 out of its parking spot to work on and after further inspection i deduced that the best route was to actully repin the wires using some wireloom from my parts out Volvo 740

Recap:

- Redid/repin multiple wiring and went over the entire loom.
- Replaced the rotor, rotorcap
- Replaced the ignition points & condenser
- Replaced the sparkplugs
- Forget to order a new coil.. maybe the 740 one works? i guess the one i have is shot.

So , back to the forum with also a question because fiddling with the wires has made some connector undone

1. White wire in the fusebox "Pin G8" it goes into connector D .. My wireloom diagrams dont show Pin G8 so no clue where in the connector D i should press it back in (multiple options are pinnened and unused

2. A tick blue wire is pinned from the+ of the coil that also leads to under the dashboard near the fusebox and is not connected. It may have been added by the PO because they are much ticker than anything else on the car. I also cannot find in the wirediagram a second wire from the coil besides the black/yellow wire that is also still on the + of the coil

Other than that i think if i have those 2 wires back in place i can retry adding the battery to the car again.

I assume my fuel pump is still dead too, what is the best way to get some fresh fuel in the fuel distributor for testing the car before tacking that

I did buy a replacement fuel pump but i had to use it on a another Volvo that needed a pump in between

mrborrie  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny update: i hooked up the battery and no flames, also confirmed now the fuelpump is indeed dead and i have a new one on the way

Dumped some fuel directly in the hose for the fuel distributor but no running engine yet, i found the ground lead on the engine being almost broken too and perhaps the contactpoints i need to re-visit. ( i do get spark on them at interval)

Still unclear on the disconnected wires so they might be the culprit too.
Raize  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrborrie wrote:

Dumped some fuel directly in the hose for the fuel distributor

Don't do this. It won't work. The FD needs input of at least 4.5 bar pressure to function at all, it's not a carb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: