Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Winter Race Car Projects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guilty of Hijacking here too but this is all great information. Finally some nice pics of that oil pan in their assembly video. Anything here that gets the oiling correct is a good thing
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else I've done. In my class the minimum weight for the carbed version is 1900lb. The obvious biggies of a lightweight hood and hatch are quite expensive, so I look for inexpensive things. My front bumper is about 3 lbs of fiberglass that would shred on any impact and I had to make my own mounts fr it out of a composite of wood, fiberglass and kevlar as there is just a single mounting tab in it. The rear bumper is the euro composite one, about 1/4" thick, that I picked up cheap, weight about 7-8lb(stock Alu about 17lb). It uses a mount similar to the shock absorber type. My first mount I cut down a shock and welded it back together as it was pretty quick to do. This time I made my own, pretty crude, but hidden and quite strong and made with materials on hand. The original stock weight 4lb 4 oz each, my cut down one, 1lb, 12oz, my homemade ones about 4.5 oz. a savings of about 8 lb at the end of the car at no cost. I'd love to have the light fiberglass one, but cost would be about $300 to save another 4 lb.

https://imgur.com/U5IMem6

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut a rather crude flat steel windage tray, put it in the pan and added water. With 3 quarts of water (about 1" above the top of the oil pickup housing)it has no effect on directing oil toward the pickup in a right turn. It should help control crankshaft submersion in left hand turns. Therefore I think that Mittlemotor's curved approach is better as it will control the spray better. It also reaffirms the need of the Accusump.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love it
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the thread about shift linkage repairs, I looked to see how mine was as when I put the car together the shifter had very little wear so I left it alone. The circlip holding the shift rod to the pin was gone so the shift rod was loose. No wonder I had been missing shifts now and then. Per BTracing I got a improved shift lever from Only944.com, it went in easily(I've torn most the foam insulation out) and appears to be good improvement. The new shift lever pin has washers sandwiching a needle bearing on each side of the shift rod and pin is now a shoulder bolt. A much more positive system.

'67 MG Midget Dp
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got the car I was under the impression that it was an '80 with a 5 speed. I don't have a title as had been a derelict for 15 years only to much later figure out it was a '78 with a 4 speed. I would now like to upgrade to a 5 speed and have located one with Tyfighter, but need to go get it. The 5 speed is about 2" longer and there wasn't room so the tank needed relocation. The gearing is the same, but the final drive is 4.11 vs the current 3.88 so that will help. Attached are some pictures. The fuel lines are AN hose as they go thru the passenger compartment. That is a Holly fuel pump. The pump is fine the electrical connections are terrible.

https://imgur.com/NF03ZKU

https://imgur.com/3FFYMw0

https://imgur.com/6C7Lvj6

This is not a pretty or elegant solution but there really isn't much choice. When purchasing a fuel cell I did not find any that would be a better fit and a complete custom built fuel cell was way out of the budget. If I had started with a 931 then this would have never been an issue.

Hopefully I've updated the images to work. If you see the plate on the end of the tranny, I had to remove the cast stocksort of crash plate in order to get the fuel cell in there below the deck.

'67 MG Midget Dp

Last edited by MikeJinCO on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
Something else I've done. In my class the minimum weight for the carbed version is 1900lb.

Good grief, my S is 2400 without my fat arse. I can't imagine losing 500 more pounds.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, the shift rod (between the shifter and tranny) is longer too, will need to be swapped, though that can also be sourced from a 944 (unlike the tranny). Just make sure of course that the one you get has a front end in good condition, since they often will oval out and create a huge amount of slop right up front.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I well plan on getting the shift rod, I had a 944 tranny and shift rod around here for a while and the rod is several inches longer. The only944 short shift kit fits also. The 0nly944 shift lever has a needle bearing +washer sandwich on each side of the rod that takes out a lot of the play, but I will pay attention to the shift rod condition also.

Rasta, yes they had the 924 very light, but I believe I have read that that they had to add ballast. The 180hp, 1900lb 924 were running against the 140hp? 1200-1300? lb Lotus Super 7's. We have a couple of them around and they are awful fast(one supposedly has a lotus Elan rear end in it). In one book Tony Dron said in the original UK showroom stock they added a bag of cement to the driver side and they ran faster because it decreased the polar moment.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a 5speed swap with a friend on his 76,it was more or less bolt on except for the linkage which i think needs to be transfered. The spare wheel well was a bit tight against the box, though that was sorted with some mild violence 😂 a great update, felt like instantly adding 15hp
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conclusion, I have a 5 speed waiting to get installed, maybe later this summer as a lot going on now. My they are tough to get out with a stock fuel tank. Here is a picture of my finished sump baffle plate. I will also thread the dip stick hole for a 1/8" NPT pipe and relocate the stop on the dip stick to prevent oil getting out.

I hope the picture show up, help on this please[img]https://imgur.com/bEtTArA[/img]

'67 MG Midget Dp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: